Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Rats off to ya

Dio 1942-2010 R.I.P.

It's for real this time

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.

"We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.

"Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

It was only a month ago that Dio, 67, spoke about his battle with cancer with the Artisan News Service on the "black carpet" of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which took place on April 8 at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. When asked about how he had been feeling since he was diagnosed with the disease late last year, Dio said, "Well, I feel good and bad at times. It's a long process. Chemotherapy is a... I never realized what a difficult thing it was to go through. It's a real cumulative effect — the more you have, the more it piles up on top and it takes longer and longer to get over it. I find it very difficult to eat. I don't like to eat anyway, so I guess that's OK. But I know I have to. But this makes it very, very hard. But if you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you, and in this case it's that. I go to a great hospital in Houston called M.D. Anderson, which I think is the best hospital in the world, I have the best doctor in the world, Dr. Ajani, who I really trust and I really believe in, so I think I've done all the right things. It makes me feel positive about my life and positive that there is a lot more of it to live."

Earlier this month, HEAVEN & HELL canceled its summer tour plans in Europe due to Dio's treatment for stomach cancer. The band said in a statement that Dio wasn't "well enough to tour this summer. We hope that everyone understands and want to thank fans and industry colleagues for their continuing support at this time."

Ronnie James Dio had performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects included the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He was most recently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also included former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first and only studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 05-16-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
In Search of Truth

There's just nothing I can say that accurately sums it up - this is unreal. The greatest loss metal has ever and will ever experience, period.

The worst part about all of this is that Dio may have been almost 68, but he was still active! He was making a new album, he was gonna tour again - it's really amazing to think about that fact. He had stuff left to accomplish. That in mind, it's not fair. It's not fair that the world is full of talentless morons who will never accomplish one one-millionth of what Ronnie has, but he still had music left to make - and he's gone.

I think I'm going to dedicate a full hour of my radio show to Ronnie tomorrow night - it's not much, but it's the best thing I can do with what I'm given.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

RIP you fuckin legend
A fuckin' Legend,hero,and one the best vocals in music history
always in our hearts will u live on,and thank you for great music,hope,and the horns.
RIP Ronnie James Dio:
10/31-King Diamond
Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Slacker

Cannot belive it
this is far too sad.... its one of those things you never imagined would every happen, but thats life.

R.I.P Dio

may he live forever through his music and voice
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

There's just nothing I can say that accurately sums it up - this is unreal. The greatest loss metal has ever and will ever experience, period.

The worst part about all of this is that Dio may have been almost 68, but he was still active! He was making a new album, he was gonna tour again - it's really amazing to think about that fact. He had stuff left to accomplish. That in mind, it's not fair. It's not fair that the world is full of talentless morons who will never accomplish one one-millionth of what Ronnie has, but he still had music left to make - and he's gone.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 PM
welp

Today marks possibly the saddest day in the history of heavy metal.

R.I.P. Ronald James Padavona

It should've been Sharon...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Regretting my username

My favorite metal vocalist of all time. This is terrible news, but I hope he knew how much he will be missed.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 PM
N00B

If you are able, try to make a donation to cancer research in his memory today

RIP
Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Only one year away from being 69.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

thank you for all those years and those 8 amazing concerts

6 sep. 85 Forum De Montréal Dio Sacred Heart World Tour Rought Cutt

08-janv-88 Forum De Montréal Dio Dream Evil World Tour Megadeth So Far…So Good…So What Savatage

15-aout-90 Forum De Montréal Dio Lock Up The Wolves World Tour Yngwie J. Malmsteen

04-juil-98 Stade DuMaurier De Montréal Iron Maiden Virtual 11 World Tour Dio Inferno Dirty Deeds

05-juil-02 Medley de Montréal Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Voivod

30-juil-03 Madison Square Garden de New York Iron Maiden Give Me 'Ed … …'Til I'm Dead Tour Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Motörhead Hammered Tour

01-août-03 Colisée Pepsi de Québec Iron Maiden Give Me 'Ed … …'Til I'm Dead Tour Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Motörhead Hammered Tour

02-août-03 Centre Bell de Montréal Iron Maiden Give Me 'Ed … …'Til I'm Dead Tour Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Motörhead Hammered Tour

Rest In Peace Ronnie

Cheers !
PowerMaiden