Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

If you don't like someone because of solely their religious affiliation, you're a fucking dumbass.

cept for scientologists.
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I haven't yet I know for a fact they suck a bag of cocks.
I guess I don't understand this phrasse. Do they suck the actual bag or every cock inside the bag? ....

I watched a Louis C.K. stand up and that reminded me of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
If you don't like someone because of solely their religious affiliation, you're a fucking dumbass.

cept for scientologists.
Abso-fucking-lutely!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
No. Atheism is the natural state of the human mind. Everyone is an atheist at birth, then becomes religious. Atheism is a lack of belief, not a belief itself.
LOLNO

a·the·ism
   /ˈeɪθiˌɪzəm/ Show Spelled[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

No one is born thinking anything about god and whether he is existent or nonexistent. Enjoy you're not understanding what atheism is.

edit: anyway, what manks said
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

This sums it up better than I could.
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...l_religion.htm

Read on from the dictionary.com definition.
a·the·ism (ā'thē-ĭz'əm)
n.

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

By your logic, would it be possible for someone not to be religious?
There is no philosophy, morale code, spiritual leaders or anything else found in all 'religions' within atheism, it is simply a lack of belief. Anyone who does not subscribe to a religion or believe in a higher power is not religious, so what are they?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:

cept for scientologists.
Clear financial motives aside, there is nothing more ridiculous about scientology than Judaism, Christianity, Islam or any other religion. I don't "not like" people solely because of their religious affiliation, but I do have less respect for them, in the same way you do with scene kids, stoners and most of the other people you (justly) bitch about.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 PM
That Guy

I'm sorry but you are not born Atheist, just as much as you are not born Christian. Faith and Belief are not made at birth. They happen when the mind discovers religion, Then the person chooses to further their religious beliefs, or choose not to believe.

Say by some fucked up case that a person is born in the mountains and lives their life by themselves without anything but trying to survive. It doesn't make them Atheist if they do not know about religion. You have to know of religion and choose not to believe to be an Atheist.

*Sorry that's the best example I could think off on the spot*

And I like and agree with Devin Townsend said earlier this year...God, big fan, not of the fanclub.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I have no problem with the members of a band being Christians. But if I'm listening to Metal I don't wanna hear some Christian preaching to me. That's why I don't like Christian metal bands.

With most Satanic bands I've heard, most of the time the bands aren't being too serious about it, so it's a little bit different. And if they are, it's hard to take that seriously, whereas with a band singing about Christian themes it would. However, Reinkaos by Dissection, (which is a great fucking album), is basically all about actual Satanic spells and the Luciferian Order religion or whatnot. But I have no idea what the hell he is talking about, because it just sounds like some fantasy shit, and it's actually interesting. Also with bands that sing about Norse religions, such as Amon Amarth or Enslaved, or whatever Morbid Angel sings about half the time, it's not first nature for me to take that seriously, but for some reason with Christian bands it is. So now that I'm done typing this I'm kinda wondering why that is...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

"Atheism" and a lack of belief are two different things.
Atheism: Believe there is no god.
Agnosticism: Believe you cannot know for certain whether there is a god or not.
Both of these come with their own philosophies (e.g. "i must decide for myself what is right or wrong"), the difference between them and other religious beliefs is that they are not written down anywhere.

Having no beliefs whatsoever on the subject is known as irreligion or just being non-religious.

Though if you ask me, I think belief in God is usually just a way for insecure people to feel more "right." If you honestly believe that your morals and God's overlap, and that God is on your side, your worries about that sort of thing would be over pretty quickly.

Honestly, I didn't even know AILD were christian until like, right before this thread. I have no problem with Christian themes in music (heck I love TSO), as long as it's done well. Songs about how homosexuals shouldn't have marriage rights are not gonna appeal to me, but I think some songs that focus on the cooler aspects of whatever religion are totally acceptable. Heck, Iron freakin' Maiden have some songs with very christian themes (New Frontier comes to mind), so as with every philosophy/belief, it's cool to hear about as long as the speaker isn't being a douchemaster.

Last edited by SomewhereInTime72; 05-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Regretting my username

1) I don't think AILD suck, I actually like them. Their personal beliefs have no effect on that. The singer is a really cool guy, giving young kids an opportunity to make music, adopted a kid from Africa, nice guy all around.

2) Atheism isn't a religion. Get over it. I took a class on the sociology of religion, and atheism, as the lack of belief in god or belief that there is no god, does not meet the qualification for religion. Humanism, maybe. But not atheism.

3) This thread is stupid. AILD don't get shit for being Christian. Two of my favorite metalcore bands, AILD and Demon Hunter, are Christian bands and I don't care.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Bobb O)))

Quote:

cept for scientologists.
trufax

and don't worry fonz, i like AILD too
10/4-Melvins