The biggest offender is Sanctuary.

Fucking awful. Hate hate hate.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Shame. I can't get behind "just having enough". New music is always being created and I want to hear it. And if I like it, I want to buy it and listen to it. It's not about obscurity, or whether a band charts or not. I couldn't care less. I just want to hear new music. If that comes from bands I already know, or bands I don't yet and need to find out about, I don't care. I especially don't want to hear bands making the same record every year.
That's cool though. I actually used to be like that as well. It's only been over the last year or so that I stopped doing it. It isn't about weather a band charts or not, it more has to do with most bands out there just not being very good. That's the bad side of the internet though. It gives a lot of bands no matter how bad they are a chance for everyone to hear them. Bands that really shouldn't be recording anything in the first place. I just don't feel like listening to all the garbage that's out there in hopes that I MIGHT hear something I like. It could be an age thing as well. Once you get to a certian age a lot of people start drifting away and not caring as much about what's new or who the latest underground metal sensation is. I tend to stick with my "old reliable" bands now because I know i'll always enjoy them. You can never listen to too much Iron Maiden anyways
Old 05-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Face The Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post

WASP- Ballcrusher
Really? I like this song, and I only own 2 of WASPS albums.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundrage View Post
agreed. It sometimes feels like it's a contest around here to see who can search out the most obscure band they can find. Then once a band has any name value, they become throw away for the next band.

"oh shit, they have a music video, they must suck now!"
NO ONE BELIEVES THIS!

Jesus, lose the victim mentality! No one seriously thinks like that! NO ONE! Not here, not anywhere!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crionics View Post
Really? I like this song, and I only own 2 of WASPS albums.
I do too (the first part), but when you think about it, the first three W.A.S.P. albums are complete bullshit in terms of songs. They're all catchy enough, but lyrically, seriously, what the fuck? They didn't get serious until the fourth album, and for me, much as I still enjoy the first three, they greatly improved and besides the horrible drop that was Helldorado, I've continued to enjoy them.

I just don't think that 'Ballcrusher', of all the stupid songs they wrote in that time, is the one to pick out as the worst.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
That's the bad side of the internet though. It gives a lot of bands no matter how bad they are a chance for everyone to hear them. Bands that really shouldn't be recording anything in the first place
This is very true. I always say this to people who only listen to chart music and following along blindly to whatever the latest hot band is, there is a lot of much better new music out there, but finding it amongst the dross takes effort. And it's more effort than most of them are prepared to put in.

I am talking about teenagers and twenty-somethings though. They should seriously still have the time and energy to use their brain a bit more!

I also say it to people who complain "there's no good music around anymore". We all know that's bullshit and they just can't be bothered to look for it.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM

I guess mine would look something like this:

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills, The Assassin, Fear Is The Key - the last two because they really do suck that much dick, the first one because, as discussed, it's not the worst song they ever did, but this asks what songs I "hate" and its reputation is more than enough to make me hate it. I'll sing along to it live, but I'll wish it was something else.

Clutch - Honestly, most of Jam Room. No other band that I love this much has ever released such an abortion. They know it, too - never seen anything from it live the four times I've seen them.

Opeth - Into the Frost of Winter...fortunately it never found its way onto an album, officially

Mastodon - Hmm...I don't hate any Mastodon songs. They only have five records, so I guess that shouldn't be too surprising, but I didn't realize it until now. Well done, boys!

Rush - Surprisingly, a lot. Like a good two or three songs from almost every record they've done since 1985. But they still make my top 5 on the sheer quantity of their output and the fact that every single album (except Power Windows) has a few absolutely fantastic songs that make the record worthwhile.

There's my top 5, too lazy to think about anyone else.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Face The Slayer

Quote:
I do too (the first part), but when you think about it, the first three W.A.S.P. albums are complete bullshit in terms of songs. They're all catchy enough, but lyrically, seriously, what the fuck? They didn't get serious until the fourth album, and for me, much as I still enjoy the first three, they greatly improved and besides the horrible drop that was Helldorado, I've continued to enjoy them.

I just don't think that 'Ballcrusher', of all the stupid songs they wrote in that time, is the one to pick out as the worst.
Haha WASPS first 2 are the only one's I own..lyric wise, it's not serious, but It's fun I guess..musically, I like the riffs and strong structure etc..I'll have to look into their serious stuff sometime..what do you suggest?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
The biggest offender is Sanctuary.
While I don't hate it, I always treated it like it was The Clairvoyant of the first album. The riff sounds like car horns honking in rhythm. That being said, I felt Maiden33's schpiel about RTTH being overplayed live applies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more to Sanctuary. Seriously, why the hell do they still play that song? Say what you will about RTTH, but at least it has the distinction of being the most enduring hit song of their career. Whereas Sanctuary barely made it to the UK top 40. I mean if they played Running Free just as much we'd probably still be complaining, but they would Maiden would have the merit of "well it was our first big hit."

But chart nonsense aside, I'd rather hear Running Free live over Sanctuary anyday.

Quote:
No need whatsoever. The smilie says all that needs to be said. All of those songs are great songs.

I think I'm actually most surprised by 'Nobody's Fault But Mine'... or maybe 'Dead Skin Mask'...
I don't know, the whole "AAAAA AAAA AH AH" shctick just sounded stupid to me. As for Dead Skin Mask, to me that was everything that the Reign In Blood kiddies should hate and be afraid of with regards to Slayer playing slow. South of Heaven was an ominous, opening tremor to what would unfold to be a violent masterpiece, and was unrightfully shit upon. Where as Dead Skin is just lame and has no menace to it whatsoever and it was unconditionally accepted to the point where the fucking band plays it live more than Seasons In The Abyss. An absolute travesty if there ever was one.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crionics View Post
Haha WASPS first 2 are the only one's I own..lyric wise, it's not serious, but It's fun I guess..musically, I like the riffs and strong structure etc..I'll have to look into their serious stuff sometime..what do you suggest?
The Crimson Idol. Don't listen to ravenheart on this. Listen to the rest of the world. The Crimson Idol. The Crimson Fucking Idol.