Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

  #101  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I am that nameless person and I stand behind it 100%. A band should not feel obligated to play guitar solos just because it's what's always been done. That Dave Mustaine interview also involved him saying "thank God for bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium bringing back the guitar solo."

Leviathan has two guitar solos. Count 'em, two. The bluegrassy thing in Megalodon and the bit towards the end of Hearts Alive. That is all it needs.
I agree that people shouldn't play solos for the sake of playing solos, I also agree that some songs don't need them at all, but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

And I think there are a lot of cases where it's been deemed unnecessary to put a solo in a song and clearly there was a need for one, or at least including one wouldn't have harmed the song.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I agree that people shouldn't play solos for the sake of playing solos, I also agree that some songs don't need them at all, but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

And I think there are a lot of cases where it's been deemed unnecessary to put a solo in a song and clearly there was a need for one, or at least including one wouldn't have harmed the song.
I'll take one good riff over ten competent solos every day of the week.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I am that nameless person and I stand behind it 100%. A band should not feel obligated to play guitar solos just because it's what's always been done. That Dave Mustaine interview also involved him saying "thank God for bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium bringing back the guitar solo."

Leviathan has two guitar solos. Count 'em, two. The bluegrassy thing in Megalodon and the bit towards the end of Hearts Alive. That is all it needs.
re-read c) of my post.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"

Last edited by JRA; 05-09-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
re-read c).
I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.
I also completely agree with this.

and just to completely drive the point home that even I think solos are unnecessary sometimes, my favorite Mercyful Fate song of all time would have been Nightmare, but there's that incredibly stupid Hank Shermann solo at the end. Up until 5:23 that song was perfect. But then I guess Hank was having low self-esteem that day and decided he need to put his personal "stamp" on it. Because of him rather than the song coming to a glorious ending, at 5 and half minutes, we have to sit through 40 seconds of Hank's wankery and for those 40 seconds, we're thinking "is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet? FINALLY its done." That is not how a song should end.

But regardless, that's an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.
and those subgenres should be played either extremely sparingly or not at all. Loosening up those standards and not forcing people to do certain requirements is how we got awful shit like Nirvana, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"

Last edited by JRA; 05-09-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,285
Holy shit this thread blew up
__________________
Shit
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
and those subgenres should be played either extremely sparingly or not at all. Loosening up those standards and not forcing people to do certain requirements is how we got awful shit like Nirvana, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.
a) Nirvana is actually good.
b) Alright, I'll stop listening to post-metal and post-rock, sludge, and black metal. Oops, there goes most of the new stuff I like.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.
Are there any (good) metal bands that don't have drums?
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
The Green and Black's Avatar
The Green and Black The Green and Black is offline
Ironbound
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post

Cathedral - Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine
Not familiar with this song, but I love, love, love the title, sounds like an enjoyable evening to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
yes, all of these!

Additionally:

Overkill - Old School
Yes! Ugh! How could I have forgotten this one. Just edited my original post.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Are there any (good) metal bands that don't have drums?
Genghis Tron off the top of my head. And Wolves in the Throne Room and Pig Destroyer don't have bass players. But that's all beside the point. I was referring more to song structure. If you say "a band needs to put a guitar solo in their song" you might as well be saying "a band needs to go verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/end."
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008