Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I am that nameless person and I stand behind it 100%. A band should not feel obligated to play guitar solos just because it's what's always been done. That Dave Mustaine interview also involved him saying "thank God for bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium bringing back the guitar solo."

Leviathan has two guitar solos. Count 'em, two. The bluegrassy thing in Megalodon and the bit towards the end of Hearts Alive. That is all it needs.
I agree that people shouldn't play solos for the sake of playing solos, I also agree that some songs don't need them at all, but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

And I think there are a lot of cases where it's been deemed unnecessary to put a solo in a song and clearly there was a need for one, or at least including one wouldn't have harmed the song.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I agree that people shouldn't play solos for the sake of playing solos, I also agree that some songs don't need them at all, but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

And I think there are a lot of cases where it's been deemed unnecessary to put a solo in a song and clearly there was a need for one, or at least including one wouldn't have harmed the song.
I'll take one good riff over ten competent solos every day of the week.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
I am that nameless person and I stand behind it 100%. A band should not feel obligated to play guitar solos just because it's what's always been done. That Dave Mustaine interview also involved him saying "thank God for bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium bringing back the guitar solo."

Leviathan has two guitar solos. Count 'em, two. The bluegrassy thing in Megalodon and the bit towards the end of Hearts Alive. That is all it needs.
re-read c) of my post.

Last edited by JRA; 05-09-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
re-read c).
I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.
I also completely agree with this.

and just to completely drive the point home that even I think solos are unnecessary sometimes, my favorite Mercyful Fate song of all time would have been Nightmare, but there's that incredibly stupid Hank Shermann solo at the end. Up until 5:23 that song was perfect. But then I guess Hank was having low self-esteem that day and decided he need to put his personal "stamp" on it. Because of him rather than the song coming to a glorious ending, at 5 and half minutes, we have to sit through 40 seconds of Hank's wankery and for those 40 seconds, we're thinking "is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet? FINALLY its done." That is not how a song should end.

But regardless, that's an exception.

Quote:
I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.
and those subgenres should be played either extremely sparingly or not at all. Loosening up those standards and not forcing people to do certain requirements is how we got awful shit like Nirvana, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.

Last edited by JRA; 05-09-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Holy shit this thread blew up
Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
and those subgenres should be played either extremely sparingly or not at all. Loosening up those standards and not forcing people to do certain requirements is how we got awful shit like Nirvana, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.
a) Nirvana is actually good.
b) Alright, I'll stop listening to post-metal and post-rock, sludge, and black metal. Oops, there goes most of the new stuff I like.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Are there any (good) metal bands that don't have drums?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Ironbound

Quote:

Cathedral - Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine
Not familiar with this song, but I love, love, love the title, sounds like an enjoyable evening to me.

Quote:
yes, all of these!

Additionally:

Overkill - Old School
Yes! Ugh! How could I have forgotten this one. Just edited my original post.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Are there any (good) metal bands that don't have drums?
Genghis Tron off the top of my head. And Wolves in the Throne Room and Pig Destroyer don't have bass players. But that's all beside the point. I was referring more to song structure. If you say "a band needs to put a guitar solo in their song" you might as well be saying "a band needs to go verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/end."