Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014

  #21  
Old 05-02-2010, 11:40 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Definitely sad that I missed the first leg now. Vader and God Dethroned at least mixed it up a little bit, I do not want to see five fucking thrash bands on a bill. Not that any of these dates would be terribly convenient, but yeah, I'm definitely skipping this tour.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
E
The one thing I usually don't understand with regards to new thrash bands is how people can call Evile generic. I mean, they play heavier, thicker riffs than a lot of them, and are pretty much the only band not trying to rip off 1980s Exodus (hello Toxic Holocaust, Dekapitator, Violator etc.). Particularly the whiny vocals desperate to be Steve Souza or Paul Baloff. I don't hear many other bands with vocals like theirs. They also don't play the generic riffs over persistent (read: boring) thrash-drums-by-numbers. I think they have far more groove than most of the others. I get not liking groove in thrash, but they're one of the least generic bands doing it right now.
I call them generic because if you think of a thrash band that came out after 2000, that's the sound that comes to mind. I have seen many new thrash bands live, and heard many new thrash CDs, and almost all of them are near impossible to tell apart from each other. They are either cleaner, slightly heavier Exodus rip offs with boring vocals or stupidly melodic faster 80's thrash rip offs. 99% of them are boring and annoying to hear, see or talk about.
Toxic Holocaust is not original at all and almost all of the songs are recycled, but mixed with the new wave of thrash metal it is noticeably different.
I don't understand the Exodus comparison at all. Sarcofago, Slayer, Sodom, yes, but beyond the simple aspect of 'thrash' music there isn't much similarity.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:05 PM
SerpentineVIVIVI's Avatar
SerpentineVIVIVI SerpentineVIVIVI is offline
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,553
I would love to go see this, but this whole college thing is really overpowering my will to attend shows, even on weekends where it's fairly realistic. I missed Overkill yesterday with Vader and God Dethroned, very unfortunate that I did so, but it honestly doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I am just losing the will to go to shows now.....is that strange?

Edit: And as to DethMaiden's comment, I completely agree. Five thrash bands on one bill is just bleh to me. I used to be an obsessive nut with thrash metal, but now it just bothers me in large dosages. This first leg had a diverse lineup at least, but now it's just straight up "thrash fest broo" crap. BBB are good, Evile are mediocre to me, Gama Bomb are straight up generic, and the two headliners are fantastic. Vader and God Dethroned shit on these openers.
__________________
"We praise an act of charity, yet shrug at an act of achievement."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
IrritatedTrout's Avatar
IrritatedTrout IrritatedTrout is offline
Not a number, I'm a free man
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
I would love to go see this, but this whole college thing is really overpowering my will to attend shows, even on weekends where it's fairly realistic. I missed Overkill yesterday with Vader and God Dethroned, very unfortunate that I did so, but it honestly doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I am just losing the will to go to shows now.....is that strange?
You may be like me. I was obsessed with going to all the shows I could my first year of college (last year) because I finally had the freedom to do so and because I had been starved for shows before that (only saw about 10 shows between 05 and Sept. 08). Nowadays the driving, navigating through cities, dealing with shitty openers and shitty people, all the waiting to get in and between sets, sacrificing the time in which I could be doing HW/working out/spending time with friends, and all the like really weighs into whether or not I go to a show. Plus money has become more of an issue recently.

I still love live music but I generally only go to a concert if I'm a big fan of the bands playing rather than just a casual fan. Only exception is when it's a good bill full of bands I'm a casual fan of (rumored Nevermore/Sym X/Candlemass for example).
__________________
6/17 - Meshuggah
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
6/29 - Blaze Bayley - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 PM
SerpentineVIVIVI's Avatar
SerpentineVIVIVI SerpentineVIVIVI is offline
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
You may be like me. I was obsessed with going to all the shows I could my first year of college (last year) because I finally had the freedom to do so and because I had been starved for shows before that (only saw about 10 shows between 05 and Sept. 08). Nowadays the driving, navigating through cities, dealing with shitty openers and shitty people, all the waiting to get in and between sets, sacrificing the time in which I could be doing HW/working out/spending time with friends, and all the like really weighs into whether or not I go to a show. Plus money has become more of an issue recently.

I still love live music but I generally only go to a concert if I'm a big fan of the bands playing rather than just a casual fan. Only exception is when it's a good bill full of bands I'm a casual fan of (rumored Nevermore/Sym X/Candlemass for example).
Could not agree more with most of the things you mentioned as factors to not go to a show. Money isn't the biggest thing to me (not that I am loaded with cash), but it's mainly the sacrifices. There's so much work to do, and I need to be on top of my studies at the end of the day. Working out is also a daily routine now as well, and hands down most importantly, spending time with friends and just socializing.

I couldn't be having a better time here, and at the last show I went to (Megadeth's RIP tour in PA), it hit me that it's not the same anymore. I still loved it, enjoyed my time there, and don't regret going, but the excitement wasn't the same as if the same tour would have happened a year ago when I was still in high school. I'm starting to think that it could be because of the bond I had with my metalhead friends in high school. I loved going to shows with them and everything, and I still would for the most part, and I realize now that more than half the reason I've enjoyed all the shows I've gone to is because of the people I was with. I'll always love metal and listen to it religiously, but attending shows is a different story, and it's slowly becoming a thing of the past for me now, as much as I hate to admit it.

ALTHOUGH, very similarly to you, I'll go if it's ridiculous, exactly like the Nevermore/Symphony-X/Candlemass bill. That would hurt to pass up
__________________
"We praise an act of charity, yet shrug at an act of achievement."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
mastodon421's Avatar
mastodon421 mastodon421 is offline
Not popular in Buffalo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swampscott,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,850
This lineup is decent but the last lineup crapped on this one.
__________________
12/11 ETID/TGI
12/21 TRC/DI
12/27 Four Year Strong
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
Could not agree more with most of the things you mentioned as factors to not go to a show. Money isn't the biggest thing to me (not that I am loaded with cash), but it's mainly the sacrifices. There's so much work to do, and I need to be on top of my studies at the end of the day. Working out is also a daily routine now as well, and hands down most importantly, spending time with friends and just socializing.

I couldn't be having a better time here, and at the last show I went to (Megadeth's RIP tour in PA), it hit me that it's not the same anymore. I still loved it, enjoyed my time there, and don't regret going, but the excitement wasn't the same as if the same tour would have happened a year ago when I was still in high school. I'm starting to think that it could be because of the bond I had with my metalhead friends in high school. I loved going to shows with them and everything, and I still would for the most part, and I realize now that more than half the reason I've enjoyed all the shows I've gone to is because of the people I was with. I'll always love metal and listen to it religiously, but attending shows is a different story, and it's slowly becoming a thing of the past for me now, as much as I hate to admit it.

ALTHOUGH, very similarly to you, I'll go if it's ridiculous, exactly like the Nevermore/Symphony-X/Candlemass bill. That would hurt to pass up
Seen this behavior before. Next stop: Getting out of metal. Wish I was joking but it's been the case every time I've seen this happen before.

I don't know, I don't get it. To me going to shows is as much a part of the entire musical "experience" as anything else. My life without concerts would never be the same, and frankly 90% of all of my fond memories in the past 6 years of my life are entirely a result of going to shows. Friends come and go, and yeah, I'm not gonna lie, sometimes there's a little too much bullshit to deal with - but at the end of the day I could just never even fathom giving it up.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
This lineup is decent but the last lineup crapped on this one.
I disagree, I like this lineup a little bit more. There are just too many bands if you ask me. I want to see full sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Seen this behavior before. Next stop: Getting out of metal. Wish I was joking but it's been the case every time I've seen this happen before.

I don't know, I don't get it. To me going to shows is as much a part of the entire musical "experience" as anything else. My life without concerts would never be the same, and frankly 90% of all of my fond memories in the past 6 years of my life are entirely a result of going to shows. Friends come and go, and yeah, I'm not gonna lie, sometimes there's a little too much bullshit to deal with - but at the end of the day I could just never even fathom giving it up.
I'm with you on this one, going to concerts is some of the most fun I have. Nothing makes me happier than discovering a new band, jamming their albums for a while, then making it complete by seeing them live. It's something I see myself doing until I'm physically unable to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
SerpentineVIVIVI's Avatar
SerpentineVIVIVI SerpentineVIVIVI is offline
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Seen this behavior before. Next stop: Getting out of metal. Wish I was joking but it's been the case every time I've seen this happen before.

I don't know, I don't get it. To me going to shows is as much a part of the entire musical "experience" as anything else. My life without concerts would never be the same, and frankly 90% of all of my fond memories in the past 6 years of my life are entirely a result of going to shows. Friends come and go, and yeah, I'm not gonna lie, sometimes there's a little too much bullshit to deal with - but at the end of the day I could just never even fathom giving it up.
I don't know, I don't think that shows are part of the listening (heavy emphasis on listening) experience at all. They are certainly a powerful supplement, but they don't define why I listen to metal. Getting out of metal (as much as I can't predict the future) does not seem to be in the cards for me. I still listen to it everyday, get that same inexplicable positive feeling, and I love every moment. To me, that feeling at the end of the day is better than anything I could get anywhere else from music. I think it's way too mechanic to think that because my will to go to shows is decreasing that eventually I well "get out" of metal.

Besides, I have had great memories from shows as well, but there are bigger things in life that I need to focus on. After performing a thorough cost-benefit analysis, I just realize that some things gotta be sacrificed, and for some people in my situation, they would sacrifice everything else; to me, that "everything else" overpowers attending concerts. Friends, socializing, academic progress, future success in my field, working out, I could go on. And I'm not going to stop suddenly, like I mentioned, I'd still go with my friends back home and/or when a show is just too good (such as the previously mentioned RIP tour or the rumored N/S-X/C tour). I plan on going to quite a number of shows in the summer, that reason being exactly because I'll have people who I've had these experiences with before. But come school year time, the number of shows I'll have gone to will be trimmed down tremendously.
__________________
"We praise an act of charity, yet shrug at an act of achievement."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
I don't know, I just can't see giving it up. I mean, I respect your decision, I'm not in any way trying to insult or compromise you for doing what you're doing, everyone is different - but it's still just nuts to me. Granted, I am considered a very impulsive, even irrational person when it comes to doing what I want to do.

That being said, call me crazy, but I don't really understand how going to concerts forces you to give up having some form of a social life, friends that don't go to concerts, or working out. Professionally I can see the it because going to shows can really interfere with school and professional life. But yeah, the other stuff - I don't understand how going to a show once or maybe a twice a month or so (which is what I consider normal) really cuts into that.

And in regards to "getting out of metal", you can call me crazy, but I have seen it happen, and it starts with behavior like this. I'm NOT saying it's gonna happen to you, but I am saying I've seen it happen. And by saying this I'm not referring to giving up metal completely to embrace another style of music - I'm talking about becoming like one of my former best friends, and going from being my partner in crime in all things metal to only caring about a dozen bands in a casual fashion, going to one show every six months, and not paying attention to anything regarding news/current events/happenings/metal subculture. Basically just developing a "pop" music fan mentality, but just liking metal instead.

Last edited by Maiden33; 05-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008