Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

Hellyeah - Stampede

Ok guys; this is my first review on here so take it easy on me. Note that this review is coming from a HUGE Pantera fan so I might have a slight bias towards Vinnie Paul's band and/or style.

Overall I thought this album was slightly better than their first, self-titled album. In the first album I thought there was a lot of lyrical repetition. In Stampede I feel that there is a little too much musical repetition; mainly in the guitar riffs. Some of the middle/later songs sound a little bit too much like Mudvayne and lack some of the southern metal elements that I like.

1. Cowboy Way - This is one of my favorite songs on the album and the music video is pretty cool as well. It is pretty catchy and the badass-type lyrics are awesome.

2. Debt That All Men Pay - Pretty good song; one of the better ones but not a favorite. The opening riff sounds like the opening riff of a few other songs on the album. I like the vocals and lyrics again in this one.

3. Hell Of A Time - Somewhat of a ballad but not totally; a great party song. Pretty much describes what summer should be like for a rockstar.

4. Stampede - Another one of my favorite songs on the album. The opening riff is one of those that sounds too similar to others but the lyrics and vocals are awesome and it is a pretty heavy song.

5. Better Man - This is the ballad of the album. It is actually a really good song lyrically and musically; a good change-up from the rest of the album.

6. It's On! - This song is pretty heavy but not so amazing. There is nothing that sticks out as special about it and it is just another song with that similar riff.

7. Pole Rider - While the lyrics are OK, I really don't like the musical part of this song and the vocals (aside from the lyrics) are just OK; not to my liking. From here on through track nine they kind of lost their twinge of southern rock/metal.

8. Cold As A Stone - This is one of the Mudvayne-like songs in my opinion. Just an OK song. Nothing special and sounds like a generic Mudvayne song.

9. Stand Or Walk Away - A little bit of a slower song but still kind of heavy in some parts. Again, this one is a little too Mudvayne-ish but not a bad song per say.

10. Alive And Well - Favorite song on the album. You could make the case that this one sounds like Mudvayne as well in some parts but the lyrics and vocal performance are too good for me not to love it. The opening riff is also really sweet.

"I'm always fighting,
Am I alive and well or just wasting space
My endless search for peace of mind
Am I living life or just wasting time
Trying to secure this piece of mine
Am I the living dead,
Just a fool in line
Waiting here to be robbed blind
Have I given up or just given in
And let go of all that's mine "

11. Order The Sun - Another really good song lyrically and vocally. Nothing overly special about the rest of the song but I like it.

Overall, too many of the songs sound somewhat alike musically so I think with the amount of time they spent on this album it could be better. That said, there are still some really sweet songs on here and it is listenable for sure.

Last edited by imanidiot777; 07-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Headbanger

The album has its moments but isn't all that spectacular. Definitely better than their debut album though. My review: http://metalassault.com/Reviews/071310_Hellyeah.php
Old 08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
The album has its moments but isn't all that spectacular. Definitely better than their debut album though. My review: http://metalassault.com/Reviews/071310_Hellyeah.php
Agree better then the first but nothing spectacular
Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

I always wondered what type of people listen to this band, and then a guy named "imanidiot" comes along....
Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM
N00B

Their first album had a couple of decent songs on it, but I really didn't care for Cowboy Way or Hell of a time. Maybe i'll give this one a listen when I get my laptop back.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I always wondered what type of people listen to this band, and then a guy named "imanidiot" comes along....
lol, oh come on. While they aren't anything amazing they aren't THAT bad. I just like Chad Grey and Vinnie Paul. The guitarists are the problem with this group they have nothing spectacular.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

i barley heard it. Meh its ok for same lame reason i love Cowboys Way. No offensive to anyone but u have to be a total redneck to love this album.