Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Worcester, MA -- July 26th, 1988
Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Are you the oldest metalhead here?
I'm at least 50 years old 1 33.33%
At least 60 0 0%
At least 70 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I joined the IMBB when I was 12.
Yeah I think I joined right around the time I turned 13. For some reason it just seems weird now though, haha.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I'm 18 so you can take me out of the running.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yeah I think I joined right around the time I turned 13. For some reason it just seems weird now though, haha.
Probably because it's full of 12 year olds

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
D.B.B.

This guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOEp-xxqu3E
Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
I aspire to be that man.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
That is very cool. The more amazing thing is that metals roots didn't start until the mid to late 1960s. So that would've made this guy well into his 30s before he got into it. Not the usual age where you take on new musical tastes, so huge props go to him there as well. I'm not sure if i'll make it to that age but in another 35-40 years I can easily see myself as the old man down the street who rocks out to Iron Maiden
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Yeah, it's cool that he got into it so late. I was late by normal standards. I was 17 and most 17 year olds have already made their stand for or against radio music by that point. And it wasn't even metal to begin with.

My basic path was Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Deep Purple, Metallica (S&M), everything else. I then started paying attention to magazines like Classic Rock and Powerplay, got into W.A.S.P., Black Sabbath and a couple of others, quickly outgrew the use of magazines and that was it.

Metallica's 'S&M' was the big turning point. There was still an element of radio-friendliness to what I was listening to before that. Bon Jovi and Aerosmith I'd heard on the radio. Deep Purple were on TV adverts at that time and I tried a best of. Guns N' Roses I heard on the radio and went and bought 'Appetite For Destruction' on my lunch break on a part time job I was doing while at college. Then on another trip into town on my lunch break I tried Metallica on one of those listening posts in HMV. 'Of Wolf And Man', I think it was. That was the first time I really liked something heavy. My parents bought me that album, and I went from there. 'We Sold Our Souls To Rock N Roll' by Sabbath was another lunch time purchase. Then I fell in love with 'I Wanna Be Somebody' on a magazine cover CD. Turns out it was on there because W.A.S.P. had just released 'The Best of the Best', so I got that, and not long after got a cheap box set of 'W.A.S.P.', 'The Last Command' and 'The Headless Children'. And loved every second.

My uncle is a bit of a closet metalhead, although he likes plenty of other stuff too, more so these days, and when I was getting into Bon Jovi and Aerosmith, he tried me on Black Sabbath. His favourite album to this day is 'Never Say Die', and it's one of mine too. Now. But I hated it then. Just didn't like Ozzy's voice. But when I didn't like it, he tried me on 'Lock Up The Wolves' by Dio instead, which I loved. It's still one of my favourite Dio records. Around the time I was buying 'Classic Rock' and getting into W.A.S.P., Dio was about to release 'Magica', and 'Fever Dreams' appeared on the cover CD, along with '13 Years of Gried' by Black Label Society, 'Angel of Betrayal' by Spirital Beggars and a few other great tracks I've since bought the albums for.

My Dad knew I was absolutely loving that Dio track, and knew how much I'd be desperately trying to find 'Lock Up The Wolves' every time we went into a record store, and although he was initially against me getting into heavy rock music, he went out and spent 16 (currently $25) on 'Magica' for my 17th birthday. He had to go two towns over to find it in an independent record store because the nearest HMVs didn't have it. I played that thing non-stop. It's still my favourite Dio record.

After that 'Brutal Planet' by Alice Cooper appeared on a cover CD, and I was already a fan of 'Poison', so I got that. Loved it. A friend at college leant me 'The Best of The Beast' by Iron Maiden and 'Ace of Spades' by Motorhead. I didn't like Motorhead but kind of liked Iron Maiden, then heard 'The Wicker Man' and went straight for 'Brave New World', which I loved.

Then I started uni, had actual spending money, and started getting into more bands. I found Megadeth at that point, and AC/DC. Then Judas Priest, Rob Zombie, Halford's debut came out, someone introduced me to Dream Theater. I still loved that Black Label Society track, even though I couldn't get their albums at the time, then they released their live album, so I got that, then their next studio album the year after, '1919 Eternal', which was the first one with decent distribution in this country in 2001.

Got a few best ofs in that time. The Cult, Diamond Head. I read about Zakk Wylde playing for Ozzy and got 'No Rest For The Wicked', which is still my favourite Ozzy CD. I'm half way through uni by this point. I got Cathedral's new album at the time, 'The VIIth Coming', Slayer's 'Decade of Aggression', more Black Sabbath and AC/DC, Skid Row.

A local independent record store in my home town, which is gone now, started doing an endless 4 CDs for 20 section, which they kept re-stocking with more stuff, and I got a ton of stuff from that. Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Steve Vai, Whitesnake.

To cut a very long story not-very-short, it's spiralled from there. My spending habits have grown with my money, and I don't expect it to stop until I can't afford it. And I'll afford it over a lot of other things.

So I expect to be just like that guy. But with a bigger collection.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka

Last edited by ravenheart; 05-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Yeah, it's cool that he got into it so late. I was late by normal standards. I was 17 and most 17 year olds have already made their stand for or against radio music by that point. And it wasn't even metal to begin with.

My basic path was Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Deep Purple, Metallica (S&M), everything else. I then started paying attention to magazines like Classic Rock and Powerplay, got into W.A.S.P., Black Sabbath and a couple of others, quickly outgrew the use of magazines and that was it.

Metallica's 'S&M' was the big turning point. There was still an element of radio-friendliness to what I was listening to before that. Bon Jovi and Aerosmith I'd heard on the radio. Deep Purple were on TV adverts at that time and I tried a best of. Guns N' Roses I heard on the radio and went and bought 'Appetite For Destruction' on my lunch break on a part time job I was doing while at college. Then on another trip into town on my lunch break I tried Metallica on one of those listening posts in HMV. 'Of Wolf And Man', I think it was. That was the first time I really liked something heavy. My parents bought me that album, and I went from there. 'We Sold Our Souls To Rock N Roll' by Sabbath was another lunch time purchase. Then I fell in love with 'I Wanna Be Somebody' on a magazine cover CD. Turns out it was on there because W.A.S.P. had just released 'The Best of the Best', so I got that, and not long after got a cheap box set of 'W.A.S.P.', 'The Last Command' and 'The Headless Children'. And loved every second.

My uncle is a bit of a closet metalhead, although he likes plenty of other stuff too, more so these days, and when I was getting into Bon Jovi and Aerosmith, he tried me on Black Sabbath. His favourite album to this day is 'Never Say Die', and it's one of mine too. Now. But I hated it then. Just didn't like Ozzy's voice. But when I didn't like it, he tried me on 'Lock Up The Wolves' by Dio instead, which I loved. It's still one of my favourite Dio records. Around the time I was buying 'Classic Rock' and getting into W.A.S.P., Dio was about to release 'Magica', and 'Fever Dreams' appeared on the cover CD, along with '13 Years of Gried' by Black Label Society, 'Angel of Betrayal' by Spirital Beggars and a few other great tracks I've since bought the albums for.

My Dad knew I was absolutely loving that Dio track, and knew how much I'd be desperately trying to find 'Lock Up The Wolves' every time we went into a record store, and although he was initially against me getting into heavy rock music, he went out and spent 16 (currently $25) on 'Magica' for my 17th birthday. He had to go two towns over to find it in an independent record store because the nearest HMVs didn't have it. I played that thing non-stop. It's still my favourite Dio record.

After that 'Brutal Planet' by Alice Cooper appeared on a cover CD, and I was already a fan of 'Poison', so I got that. Loved it. A friend at college leant me 'The Best of The Beast' by Iron Maiden and 'Ace of Spades' by Motorhead. I didn't like Motorhead but kind of liked Iron Maiden, then heard 'The Wicker Man' and went straight for 'Brave New World', which I loved.

Then I started uni, had actual spending money, and started getting into more bands. I found Megadeth at that point, and AC/DC. Then Judas Priest, Rob Zombie, Halford's debut came out, someone introduced me to Dream Theater. I still loved that Black Label Society track, even though I couldn't get their albums at the time, then they released their live album, so I got that, then their next studio album the year after, '1919 Eternal', which was the first one with decent distribution in this country in 2001.

Got a few best ofs in that time. The Cult, Diamond Head. I read about Zakk Wylde playing for Ozzy and got 'No Rest For The Wicked', which is still my favourite Ozzy CD. I'm half way through uni by this point. I got Cathedral's new album at the time, 'The VIIth Coming', Slayer's 'Decade of Aggression', more Black Sabbath and AC/DC, Skid Row.

A local independent record store in my home town, which is gone now, started doing an endless 4 CDs for 20 section, which they kept re-stocking with more stuff, and I got a ton of stuff from that. Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Steve Vai, Whitesnake.

To cut a very long story not-very-short, it's spiralled from there. My spending habits have grown with my money, and I don't expect it to stop until I can't afford it. And I'll afford it over a lot of other things.

So I expect to be just like that guy. But with a bigger collection.
That's a fairly complex personal history with metal, and not through the usual channels necessarily.

My first metal song was "The Number of the Beast" on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. My first metal album was The Number of the Beast which I bought immediately after hearing said first metal song. From there, I got into Queensryche, Sabbath, Priest, Megadeth, Metallica, Dio, Slayer, and oddly, Blind Guardian within the first few months of being a metalhead. Eventually (maybe a year later) I heard "Slaughter of the Soul," bought that album, and got into extreme metal. All downhill from there, as it were, and I have no intentions of ever turning back.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

I may not be the oldest one here in age but i sure act older than mostly all of you.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I may not be the oldest one here in age but i sure act older than mostly all of you.
It's times like these that I wish you were just the greatest troll ever and not the worst poster ever.