Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEtoROCK86 View Post
Troy and Brann looked pissed as hell last night when Brent was pulling that stunt
I'm glad i wasnt the only one to notice. troy actually looked embarrassed. he wasn't moving around too much and barely looked at the crowd. i felt kinda bad for him
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
N00B

Ok don't bash Mastodon seriously. So maybe they had one off show, but I can say without even having been there, they probably owned every other band, especially since BTBAM didn't go over. Besides when you play 10+ min songs, what do you expect? They can't always be perfect, they've been all over the world, so if they don't act like superheroes for one crowd, don't get all pissy about it.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
The guy behind the guy, behind the guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisdead911 View Post
Ok don't bash Mastodon seriously. So maybe they had one off show, but I can say without even having been there, they probably owned every other band, especially since BTBAM didn't go over. Besides when you play 10+ min songs, what do you expect? They can't always be perfect, they've been all over the world, so if they don't act like superheroes for one crowd, don't get all pissy about it.
Before "The Last Baron", the show was great! I honestly thought the sound was awesome and that they were playing really well. But when Brent freaked out, and I mean FREAKED out...the band just looked like a deer in headlights. Troy especially. You could tell he just wanted to put on an awesome show and Brent was just crashing it into the ground. From that point on it just seemed like they weren't focused. You could just sense the lack in energy. And I fucking LOVE Mastodon. It was painful to watch a band you love crumble a bit on the stage. But hey, it happens. And I hate to say it, but BTBAM owned Mastodon last night.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Before "The Last Baron", the show was great! I honestly thought the sound was awesome and that they were playing really well. But when Brent freaked out, and I mean FREAKED out...the band just looked like a deer in headlights. Troy especially. You could tell he just wanted to put on an awesome show and Brent was just crashing it into the ground. From that point on it just seemed like they weren't focused. You could just sense the lack in energy. And I fucking LOVE Mastodon. It was painful to watch a band you love crumble a bit on the stage. But hey, it happens. And I hate to say it, but BTBAM owned Mastodon last night.
I know that must've sucked, but you gotta remember, Brents had head trauma, so he must get kinda weird sometimes, and he's the kinda guy that if something's not goin right, he's gonna let you know about it, cuz he takes pride in his work, I mean it probably wasn't the right time to throw a fit, but it's nothing against them as musicians, they're always stellar
9/16 - Parkway Drive
9/24 - Crush Em All
12/7 - BTBAM/AAL
Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
N00B

I've seen Mastodon 4 or 5 times and I think they sounded ok once. I love Mastodon, but they don't seem to be able to pull off their music live. To the guy who said replace Brent-I think he writes most of the stuff. Would'nt be Mastodon anymore.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM
The guy behind the guy, behind the guy

I have nothing against them as musicians, they are all extremely good at what they do. I just don't think that it is very mature as a performer to stop twice in the middle of a song to bitch and moan about the sound on stage or how out of tune your guitar is. Wait for after the song, address your issue to whomever it concerns, and carry on with the show. There's really no use in arguing about it though, lol, especially on here.

MASTODON ROCKS!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
This is the Mastodon setlist:

CRACK THE SKYE

Crusher Destroyer
Crystal Skull
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Ol'e Nessie
Circle of Cysquatch
Aqua Dementia
Iron Tusk
March Of The Fire Ants
Blood And Thunder

I have to say that this show was a bit strange. The kids chanting "you suck dick" to BTBAM was really wrong. Even if you don't like a band...don't be disrespectful. I'm glad the lead singer said something, it must have been hard not to. They were great, and in my opinion, stole the show.

Mastodon just wasn't feeling it last night. Personally, I think Brent Hinds was way out of line. No matter how shitty everything is going on stage, THE SHOW MUST GO ON! Don't stop TWICE! It takes away from the mystique of the show. Way out of line. I'm actually shocked they played after they finished Crack The Skye. We were waiting a solid 5 minutes before they came back on stage. And the last part of the show, you could tell they didn't give a shit, neither did the crowd. I expected more of Brent.

As much as it pains me to say this is very true. Every time a Mastodon performance goes wrong it is because of Brent Hinds. Troy,Brann and Bill always play well and give it their all Hinds seems like he doesn't give a fuck almost everytime I have seen them. Brent Is a great guitar player and he is a big part of what makes Mastodon so damn special but he is a serious asshole.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 AM
N00B

i agree with the majority of people here. I've seen Mastodon 5 times. I absolutely love them as a band... but 3 out of the 5 times, they sounded like shit live.. and it was because of brent. one of these times was before his head trauma. There's really no excuse to make for him... head trauma or not.. the guy openly admits to doing drugs and drinking in excess on a regular basis. it has a huge detrimental effect on his stage performance.

It's true, he is the primary song writer.. and writes some amazing and brilliant music... but his wreckless lifestyle and asshole attitude are the downfall of the band's live shows. It's bound to come to a head sometime, unfortunately. he just needs to get it together.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup

Wow, ive never seen Mastodon before, but they are an amazing band and i would love to see them live, but this is making me have second thoughts...
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_to_the_face View Post
Wow, ive never seen Mastodon before, but they are an amazing band and i would love to see them live, but this is making me have second thoughts...
If you have the extra cash, I say always check out a band you enjoy at least once. Members have off days - hell, whole bands have off days (is still sad at God Dethroned) - and you never know what you're going to get. Form your own opinion.

I'll be seeing this tour tonight at NEMHF . I'm going in with an open mind, but I won't be defending Brent if things go sour.

Tags
baroness, between the buried and me, mastodon, valient thorr