Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
It's the Vitek situation.

Member dies (or is in a coma), band gets insane press, when band finally comes back, they are hyped beyond belief and get billed higher than they should.
Eliminate yourself as a metal fan and Deftones are way bigger than Mastodon, and it has nothing to do with Chi, so they should be coming on after them. For the record, they have some songs I like, but I've never thought too highly of the Deftones.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I'm loving this from top to bottom. I'm ok w/ Mastodon opening. They've been around less years than other 2, sold less than other 2. I'm not hating on Mastodon. I like Mastodon but this is where they should be anyway. I still love the Deftones. Last couple times I saw Deftones they were really good. And pretty sure there were still alot of people still cared about them even before Chi was in his car wreck. As far as Alice In Chains go all I have to say is see them live once and that will change opinions. There new stuff smokes, their old stuff still smokes. Top to bottom I think this will be a great tour. I think it will be good for Mastodon to get more exposure on this tour. Just please no CTS again....
Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, but no one was really caring about the Deftones (nor do I think they were really doing anything...) until their bassist went into a coma. Right?
I think this is an incorrect statement. Deftones fans are highly loyal and the fan base they had when Around the Fur came out, is pretty much the same one they got now. If there was no hype at the time it may of been because of the lengthy delays between albums, and that Saturday Night Wrist is generally hated (it was the last album with Chi, and the only album to come out since 2003, until Diamond Eyes is released in a few weeks).
Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
It's the Vitek situation.

Member dies (or is in a coma), band gets insane press, when band finally comes back, they are hyped beyond belief and get billed higher than they should.
This is sort of off-topic, but are you telling me that there is a single band on Summer Slaughter this year you think is popular enough to headline over Decapitated, Vitek or no-Vitek?

But, yeah, I was under the impression that Deftones were bigger than Mastodon myself. But I'm not a fan of either band. Highly doubt I'll be attending.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
things are more than just what you see

This tour doesn't make a ton of sense IMO, they don't really seem to fit together.

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_jman View Post
This tour doesn't make a ton of sense IMO, they don't really seem to fit together.

They are all mellow/stoner bands. Just from different era's
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
things are more than just what you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundrage View Post
They are all mellow/stoner bands. Just from different era's
Guess I just don't see it. To me, mastadon is nothing like AIC, not even close, the new stuff is a little closer but not really. Don't know much of deftones.

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_jman View Post
Guess I just don't see it. To me, mastadon is nothing like AIC, not even close, the new stuff is a little closer but not really. Don't know much of deftones.
Mastodon is more music driven, Deftones are lyric driven, AIC is like a mix I guess. I don't know, I think they fit together just fine. It's exposing Mastodon to a whole bunch of people who may not of ever sat down and listened to them, which is good.

You know what would be really awesome? Tool, Opeth & Mastodon. Now THAT is a zone-out stoned concert
Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, but no one was really caring about the Deftones (nor do I think they were really doing anything...) until their bassist went into a coma. Right?
I'm not sure about that because like I said before I'm not a fan of theirs. I didn't even know about their bassists being in a coma. But after a quick look up on wikipedia i've learned that they have two platinum and two gold albums in the US. Their last album, released in 2006, has sold in the 250,000 copy range so it seems that they have maintained a decent level of popularity. Their new album comes out in a few weeks I think it said. So the billing over Mastodon makes sense. Mastodon is just there to give a newer metal band more exposure which is a good thing for them.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned Asshole

If this had the real Alice in Chains and Pre-Crack the Skye Mastodon, I would be shitting my pants right now. However, its not the case for either band, so unless I'm really bored that day and the ticket prices are cheap I will not go to this.