Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 AM
In Search of Truth

Unless you would either have to road trip or have a job that would fire you for missing a day, I don't really see how day-of-the-week really plays heavily into a decision to go to a show. I went to tons of shows all throughout high school. More often than not I would actually cut school the day OF the show, so I could make the hour or two drive and then wait in line and such, and then just get home late and tough it out the next day. With all the days I missed, I still got through school more than fine. And yeah, if you have a job that you can either request off for (like mine, as long as I have a few weeks notice), or call in sick once in a while, it's not a big problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Fuck all these bands that play 2-4 dates on each coast and have the nerve to call it a "tour".

Except for Fates Warning who never tour anyway. At least they are coming to Texas.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Ironbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Unless you would either have to road trip or have a job that would fire you for missing a day, I don't really see how day-of-the-week really plays heavily into a decision to go to a show. I went to tons of shows all throughout high school. More often than not I would actually cut school the day OF the show, so I could make the hour or two drive and then wait in line and such, and then just get home late and tough it out the next day. With all the days I missed, I still got through school more than fine. And yeah, if you have a job that you can either request off for (like mine, as long as I have a few weeks notice), or call in sick once in a while, it's not a big problem.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I went to 5 shows in the course of one week earlier this month, and didn't miss a day or work. Two shows were back to back. But when I went to Scranton for Megadeth in March, I planned ahead and I took two days off. When Strat and Pagan's Mind played Nokia in NY, one of my friends texted me the day of the show and asked if I wanted to go, he picked me up after work and we headed to NYC, didn't get home until maybe 3am, was back at work the next morning, but that's just me.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
N00B

Quote:
I'm with you on that one man
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
welp

Quote:
Did it even cross your mind that some people might not be allowed to go to shows on a school night? If it were up to me I'd go to every show I can, but unfortunately that isn't the case.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Also, this might be the most pretentious thing I've read in a long long time

"While ICED EARTH's 1998 album "Something Wicked This Way Comes" provided a general overview of the story guitarist/songwriter Jon Schaffer has been conceptualizing for well over a decade, the saga was fully brought to life with the release of the back-to-back conceptual albums "Framing Armageddon" and "The Crucible of Man". The albums provided answers to mysteries the previous releases created, and the timeliness of the story in today's world were guaranteed to keep people thinking and guessing. Schaffer's ability to convey the central themes and events of the story without always revealing exactly "why" characters' decisions are made and "how" events come to pass will keep fans of the saga coming back as future mediums for the "Something Wicked" storyline are revealed. "
I actually liked the last two albums but what I never got is what mystery did the original Something Wicked Trilogy leave to be revealed? The story always seemed pretty straight forward to me and didn't need any elaborating at all. But maybe that was just me. I don't recall other fans wanting to know more about it at all Oh, well.

None of these shows are near me so I won't be seeing any of them. Hopefully they can do a full tour and get somewhere close by. Now, on to the whole "what day of the week it's on" debate I personally don't see the problem. If you have to get off for work odds are you can just ask for it off or switch a shift (if that's possible at your job) with another worker. As for having school the next day, I went to shows during high school and you just have to make the best of it the next day if you're tired. It might suck a little but it won't be that bad. In high school my parents were cool enough to come up with a bullshit excuse to tell the school that morning if they knew I was gonna be late coming in because of a show the previous night If you're in college and you have an early class the following day you can skip it, it's not like they give a shit if you show up or not anyways. There really are simple solutions here. Don't make the situation more complicated than it really is.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
In high school my parents were cool enough to come up with a bullshit excuse to tell the school that morning if they knew I was gonna be late coming in because of a show the previous night
Unfortunately not my situation.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Unfortunately not my situation.
Try talking to them now about it and work something out. If you let them know well enough in advance and come up with a plan it might work. My parents were fine with me going somewhere on a school night as long as they knew where I was and when I'd be back. The consequences of the next day were all on me and they knew that I understood that, so they never had a problem with it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
An active American band doing a 4 date US tour. They aren't a destination band, or a festival, get over yourselves.
Well, it's meant to be a few dates to get out of the studio, and I'm pretty sure Matt's still a cop, or firefighter, or whatever he is. I'm sure that factors into how much they can tour.

@Maiden33: Day of the week really only effects me because it's almost a 4 hour drive to NYC from here. Not far to go on a weeknight for any of my favorite bands, but I'm not entirely sure I would count IE among my favorites. I definitely want to see them, and I honestly feel like they've only got an album or two left in them, so this sort of 'Greatest Hits' set they mentioned would be the ideal time to see them. Starting college in September, so it really depends on how my schedule works out.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Try talking to them now about it and work something out. If you let them know well enough in advance and come up with a plan it might work. My parents were fine with me going somewhere on a school night as long as they knew where I was and when I'd be back. The consequences of the next day were all on me and they knew that I understood that, so they never had a problem with it.
I've tried, but to no avail. The main thing with my mom is that she has to get up early for work, and she can't fall asleep without me being home. And I'm not doing particularly great in school, which doesn't exactly help my situation.

It just really pisses me off sometimes. I've missed so many great shows because of this (Bodom/Testament, Opeth 20th anniversary, Behemoth/Devildriver, Iced Earth on their last tour, and many others).