Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Daimonos's 2009 Countdown

This year I bought (or recieved from friends) a total of 34 metal albums that were released during the year of 2009. I'll post a couple at a time with a little paragraph or so with my opinion on it.

And take note that I'm not that great of a writer, but I'll try to make it bearable, and I won't be suprised if my lack of writing skills make what i'm trying to get across look absolutely retarded, so keep that in mind.

But thank you for reading and enjoy!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM

34. Dope – No Regrets
We’ll start off with the worst album that found its way into my collection from 2009. I mainly bought it just because I would be seeing them with BLS a couple weeks later. I by no means think that it is a bad album; I just don’t really listen to this kind of music. But what really impressed me about this album is that there are a lot more metal influences on this than any other Dope album I’ve heard has had, and that’s definitely not a bad thing.

33. Five Finger Death Punch – War is the Answer
I’m not going to lie, whenever The Way of the Fist was first out, I thought it was a great album. I’ve seen them live twice and they put on a great show. But after this album came out and I bought it and listened to it, I realized that one of two things was apparent: Either this band really never was that good, or they were just a “one album band”. And really I think it’s a bit of both. But I do believe that there is hope for this band if some of the members could mature as musicians and lyricists and they stop trying to make mainstream sounding, popular songs. The album isn’t that bad, it’s just repetitive and somewhat cheesy.

32. Divine Heresy – Bringer of Plagues
Divine Heresy’s second album isn’t that bad. Some songs are heavy as hell while others just aren’t that good. I like the new vocalist more than the old guy, he’s got quite a range. While some of the songs are crushing and great (Facebreaker, The Battle of J. Casey, The End Begins), some just don’t do the job. The “ballad” on the album, Darkness Embedded, is different than the rest, but I think it’s a nice change. Also like the last album, Tim Yeung’s drumming is incredible. But unfortunately Dino’s newest release isn’t quite getting the job done, I’m just waiting for the new Fear Factory.

31. God Dethroned – Passiondale
This album is quite a disappointment to me. The theme is awesome (The WWI battle of Paschendale), and the lyrics really paint a good picture of whats going on, but the songs all kind of lack variety. Most of them are just your typical melodic death (I’m not sure ifthat’s what everyone else thinks they sound like, I’m new to them, so don’t jump on me about that) songs. “Under a Darkening Sky”, “Poison Fog”, and “Passiondale” all stand out the most to me though.

Don't worry the actual metal stuff is coming soon

Last edited by daimonos; 01-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

30. Clutch – Strange Cousins From the West
First off just let me say that the packaging that this album came in is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Very creative indeed. But onto the album, I think it’s a great listen. The album contains 11 rockin’, blues influenced, dirty sounding heavy metal songs. The riffs are all bluesy and groovy, with Neil Fallon’s awesome vocals on top of it all. His voice is filled with emotion and intensity. So in all, whenever I’m not really in the mood for something heavy, but something interesting and fun, with a touch of metal, this is one of the albums I would put on.

29. Shadows Fall – Retribution
I used to listen to Shadows Fall whenever I was first getting into metal, but my love for them faded pretty quickly. I had no intention of buying or hearing the album until a friend burnt it for me. I figured I’d give it a listen and I have to say that I was very impressed. In my opinion this is the strongest thing they’ve ever released. With Retribution they seem to be moving away from the metalcore sound a little bit and seem to be heading towards a more thrash metal feel, which is good if you ask me. Of course there are still songs that I’m not into, but songs like “My Demise”, “King of Nothing”, and “The Taste of Fear” keep me interested. I hope they continue in this direction in the future.

28. Isis – Wavering Radiant
I have to admit that this one took a little bit of time for it to grow on me. I am not familiar with Isis but I heard good things about this so I picked it up. It’s a very interesting and unique. A lot of the riffs are creative as well, and the vocalist has a great voice. I’m going to assume that this band has better albums, so I’m definitely going to check them out in the future because they sure are original and talented, but I couldn’t get into this one as much as I would’ve like to.

27. Chimaira – The Infection
At first whenever I heard this I hated it and I never wanted to listen to it. But whenever I came around to making this list it hit me how much better this album is than I thought it was. Sure they have more breakdowns than before, and Mark Hunters trying some deeper vocal techniques, (I hate deathcore so those two things are probably what turned me off to begin with), but in the end it’s just really heavy groove metal. Like on their other albums, the closing instrumental is beautiful, and songs like “On Broken Glass” and “Secrets of the Dead” are crushing.

26. Suffocation – Blood Oath
Blood Oath starts off with thundering bass drums and punishing guitars. Really that’s what the whole album is: Heavy as fuck. Frank Mullen just sounds like a beast and Mike Smith’s drumming is spot on. There are plenty of insane riffs, and crazy solos. But despite all these good things, it’s not always the best thing to be listening to. Sometimes I lose track of the album and get bored with it, but in the end it’s still a great death metal album. I don’t think it’s as good as their previous album but these songs will be great in a live setting.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
28. Isis – Wavering Radiant
I have to admit that this one took a little bit of time for it to grow on me. I am not familiar with Isis but I heard good things about this so I picked it up. It’s a very interesting and unique. A lot of the riffs are creative as well, and the vocalist has a great voice. I’m going to assume that this band has better albums, so I’m definitely going to check them out in the future because they sure are original and talented, but I couldn’t get into this one as much as I would’ve like to.
Dude, check out Oceanic.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I've always prefered Panopticon myself, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I've always prefered Panopticon myself, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Well that's my second favorite, so yeah. What you said.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Well that's my second favorite, so yeah. What you said.
yeah i'll probably get around to that sometime soon

thanks for the recommendations
Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 AM

25. Absu – Absu
This is good black metal right here (or “mythological” whatever the hell you wanna call it), and is also the bands first album in quite awhile. Proscriptors vocals and the hammering blast beats create a lot of intensity, and some songs are epic, while others are quite technical.

24. Obscura – Cosmogenesis
This is a pretty unique “modern” tech death album. The guitarists in this band have got the right ideas as far as technicality goes, and it’s not technical to the point that it’s annoying either. The fact that they used a fretless bass is just great all on its own, and the clean, electronic sounding vocals add to the songs.

23. Devin Townsend Project – Ki
The first DTP album, Ki is the mellow one of the series. Sure it’s soft, but it’s still interesting and entertaining enough to listen to it all the time. Devin really shines through with his unique ideas too, take “Trainfire” for example. He sounds like Elvis. There are actually some heavy moments on the album too, such as on “Gato” and “Heaven Send”.

22. Slayer – World Painted Blood
A lot of you guys on here might not like this album, but I don’t think it’s that bad. It’s defininitely their best album since 1994’s Divine Intervention, so I have no problem with it. It’s way better than the three since then. I think it sounds almost like a combination of Reign in Blood and Seasons In the Abyss. Some of the songs could fit in on South of Heaven or Seasons easily.

21. Obituary – Darkest Day
Obituary’s newest is heavy, sludgy, groovy, and thrashy all at once. John Tardy’s vocals are fierce as ever, and the rest of the band is just as tight. Obituary is sticking to what they’ve always done, and it turned out pretty good.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post

25. Absu – Absu
This is good black metal right here (or “mythological” whatever the hell you wanna call it), and is also the bands first album in quite awhile. Proscriptors vocals and the hammering blast beats create a lot of intensity, and some songs are epic, while others are quite technical.
This is one of the ones I missed this year that I'll probably wish I hadn't. I have to get my hands on it eventually. BTW, that's some damn sweet artwork on the cover.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Headbanger

You've kinda piqued my interest. If there were 20 better cd's than Slayer and Shadows Fall I didn't hear them and I listened to close to 200 cd's this year. I know I missed some good stuff though