Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Bill Simmons on espn.com wrote a real good column on Friday about all this

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...4&sportCat=nba
That's an exceptional article. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
That's an exceptional article. Thanks for posting.
No prob, Simmons is a great sportswriter. He also put out a 700 page "The Book of Basketball" in the last year that would probably interest you.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
No prob, Simmons is a great sportswriter. He also put out a 700 page "The Book of Basketball" in the last year that would probably interest you.
One of my favorite books, ever.

Simmons rules in terms of what he has to say about sports, but his "I was once a party boy in college wooo" and "I can relate anything in sports to an overrated movie" shticks CAN be a little distracting.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
N00B

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Wait - you're young and female, you like metal, and you're talking about NBA stuff and making more sense than a lot of guys I know...I think I like you!

(Oh relax you fuckers, and save your Chris Hansen jokes...I'm just screwing around. )

Seriously, though - you make a lot of good points. Obviously, the subject is very close to my heart - maybe even a little too close (I'm still stunned by that ridiculous pair of games that ended the Cavs' season early last week).

Call it instinct, but something tells me Lebron would only want to move East if he did leave Cleveland, and obviously the Nets and Knicks are the top two teams in the rumor mill right now. Both of those have to come a long way before they can truly contend for a ring, and that's obviously priority number one for LBJ. I'm more concerned about the Nets, though, because with their newly-established salary cap space, they could build that team up in a hurry. Let's not forget that Wade and Bosh are in the Free Agent market this summer, too.

I doubt Lebron wants to go to Chicago, for the same reasons you mentioned, and I don't see him going to Orlando as someone else had mentioned. Their team chemistry wouldn't work for him at all. Lebron wants to be the sole leader of the team, and Howard is obviously fast becoming that figure. If LBJ goes to Florida at all (which I don't think is likely), it'd be to join Wade in Miami. They'd be hard-pressed to afford both James and Wade, but they could always make moves I suppose. Not likely, though.

I think what's going to happen is that Lebron is going to try to use the leverage of his possible exit to get the Cavs to make some even better moves than they made last year. They really did make some good acquisitions, and they were definitely a good value for the money, but they really didn't pan out as a whole. Shaq was OK, but we did just as well with him out of the lineup as we did with him in. That tells me that Varejao and Z are still pretty effective, but if we had a real true center like Howard or Noah I would feel better. Unfortunately I hate them both, but they're not really an option anyway, thankfully.

I'd like to see us get Wade to come to Cleveland, actually. I'm not a huge fan of Wade's ego, but the man can play the fucking game. That or Steve Nash. Personally, I think Wade would work out better, because he'd fit well within the team chemistry that LBJ and company have established over the years, wheras Nash seems a little too serious for that (although I could certainly be wrong...I don't really know the guy's personality that well). If not Wade or Nash, then Stoudemire or Bosh. Obviously the Stoudemire deal has to work out just right, so that's not a slam dunk by any means (pun somewhat intended).

We also need to get rid of Shaq, probably - although I hate to say it, because I was really hoping the big suminabitch would be more of a factor than he actually was. His attitude has been awesome, and he has fit in with the team's chemistry exceptionally well. Letting him go would free up cap money, though. Then we need to see who else on the list of recent acquisitions can be traded off if they weren't effective. I don't know that much about those contracts to know who that would be.

Lastly, I think Mike Brown needs to go, and I think the Cavs will do that. I love his style and I like him as a person, but he is a big reason why we aren't playing Orlando right now. The choice of his replacement is really key, though. It has to be somebody who knows what he is doing, but can let Lebron do Lebron and be the on-court leader of the team. As much as I hate Stan Van Gundy, he might be a good choice. I think he could fit the first part of that requirement, but I'm not sure about the second. He seems like a control freak to me. At any rate, coaching is a big part of why we lost this year, unfortunately, so a good change there is absolutely essential.

Sorry about the mammoth post. I just had to vent my spleen a little.
I'm female? My two balls would disagree.

I really doubt LBJ goes to the Nets. Knicks I could see because of MSG and their 'history' (1 championship), but Nets is no way. They were absolutely awful last year, they will at most be a 40 win team even if Lebron and another big free agent joins them. Names look great on paper, but playing styles are a different story. Neither Wade or Lebron have even really ever learnt to play off the ball.

Mike Brown HAS to leave. The guy has 0 offense, and is fully to blame for the 1-4 garbage that we see every game - iso for Lebron, iso for Lebron. No backdoor cuts, no off the ball screens, brush screens, cutting, nothing. Their over reliance on one man has failed them year after year, and Ferry needs to realize this and leave.

And PLEASE don't let the Lakers win another. The only thing more annoying than Kobe is Kobe fans.

EDIT - oh, that was my girlfriend posting on here. She always wanted to try a male dominated message board.

Last edited by youngandaspiring; 05-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandaspiring View Post
I'm female? My two balls would disagree.

EDIT - oh, that was my girlfriend posting on here. She always wanted to try a male dominated message board.
That explains it. Sorry - no offense intended. I could have sworn I saw a post from you a while back saying that you were female, and at least I know I wasn't hallucinating.

It's no wonder you can speak on the game of basketball so well. No offense to the ladies, but no female makes the post you just made above. None.

Nice observations once again, BTW. I just hope they keep Lebron in Cleveland somehow. I think there's a real decent chance, unlike all the Negative Nancies I listen to every day at work, in the health club, in line at the store, wherever. It just gets so fucking old. At least wait until he leaves to whine - and even then, preferably do it away from me.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM
N00B

Evan Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Evan Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I was gonna write on your Facebook wall. I think there's an outside chance that the Wizards say "Arenas is still our best player" and pass on Wall, in which case you'd get him. Either one will make you much, much better.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah I was gonna write on your Facebook wall. I think there's an outside chance that the Wizards say "Arenas is still our best player" and pass on Wall, in which case you'd get him. Either one will make you much, much better.
I cant see the wizards passing on Wall, but yeah, it works out either way. Simmons comment on Twitter earlier was priceless:

Highlight of lottery: a mortified John Wall gets interviewed with a "Gilbert got rid of his guns, right?" look on his face.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I cant see the wizards passing on Wall, but yeah, it works out either way. Simmons comment on Twitter earlier was priceless:

Highlight of lottery: a mortified John Wall gets interviewed with a "Gilbert got rid of his guns, right?" look on his face.
That's great.

I hate the Wiz, mad that they got the first pick. Happy that the Sixers got the second though. Hated Iverson, but I'm a big fan of the franchise. Cross your fingers for an 8 seed, it's not like the Bobcats are gonna be back.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
That's great.

I hate the Wiz, mad that they got the first pick. Happy that the Sixers got the second though. Hated Iverson, but I'm a big fan of the franchise. Cross your fingers for an 8 seed, it's not like the Bobcats are gonna be back.
There are so many stories up here about what a complete and utter scumbag of a human being Iverson is. Also, looks like the Eddie Jordan year was worth it for the second pick