Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014

Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 AM
One who onions things

Metal Church -- Hollywood, CA -- August 4th, 2013

In-fucking-credible performance. Metal Church, Orchid and Bolt Thrower are easily the top three shows I've now seen all year, and all three rank among the best I have ever seen.

Walked in during local band #3. No fucks given. Local band #4 was some generic Hispanic thrashbaby band. No fucks given. Local #5 was some power/thrash band with this awful singer who tried to do these really generic, out of key power screams all the damn time. They were beyond awful. After that band I found singer Ronny Munroe, and introduced myself (we had done an interview like months ago), and dude seemed genuinely excited to meet me which was super cool. He also gave me some nice compliments on the questions I asked back then. I bought him a beer like I promised at the end of our interview (when I said "If you ever make it out to LA I'll buy you a beer!" I didn't actually expect Metal Church to drop by before I turned 21 haha). He then actually suggested that we take a photo together, which I have never once encountered with a musician except Queensryche. Super nice guy, and I really hope I get to run into him again.

Last local was some melodeath band. Again, no fucks given. Metal Church finally went on at 11:10-ish and royally tore the Whisky to shreds. The place was packed wall to wall and everyone was going bonkershit. Ronny even told us that we were the best crowd that the band had in years and that we were even better than the European festival crowds. As for me, I lost my shit during literally every song. Ronny was on fire the whole set, dude was throwing in these crazy screams left and right. Guitarist Kurdt always had his super huge smile, and he and guitarist Rick were shredding. Drummer Jeff was also a monster, and performed nearly every single fill just like Kirk Arrington did. Kirk was a beast, as is Jeff. The venue fucking exploded for Ton of Bricks and the fast part of Beyond the Black and the band sounded especially mindblowing on Metal Church. Band did a hilariously short encore break and came back for Highway Star and Human Factor. They were onstage for about 70-75 minutes. A little short, but there were nearly no breaks in between the songs and the performance was just amazing overall. If they had done Date With Poverty my life would be complete.

1. Ton of Bricks
2. Start the Fire
3. A Light in the Dark
4. Fake Healer
5. Badlands
6. Gods of Wrath
7. Hitman
8. Watch the Children Pray
9. Beyond the Black
10. Metal Church
Encore
11. Highway Star
12. The Human Factor

Edit: Whoops, derped on the format. If a mod could fix that it would be much appreciated!
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 08-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 AM
N00B

Looks like a great set.

Hard to go too wrong with almost all of their material.

I'm digging Gods of Wrath and Hitman. Saw Metal Church with Mike Howe but never with Ronnie. Hope they come to Chicago some time soon
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmudan View Post
Looks like a great set.

Hard to go too wrong with almost all of their material.

I'm digging Gods of Wrath and Hitman. Saw Metal Church with Mike Howe but never with Ronnie. Hope they come to Chicago some time soon
You saw them with Mike Howe? You lucky son of a bitch.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I'm only familiar with their first two records, but that is still a wicked Metal Church set.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I'm only familiar with their first two records, but that is still a wicked Metal Church set.
Get familiar with all of them. ALL OF THEM.

Looking back on last night, every single second of the set was perfect. They didn't play a single song that was less than fucking amazing. I also forgot to mention that they didn't have any merch last night, I made sure to give Ronny some crap for that haha.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM
N00B

Yeah I was lucky enough to see Metal Church on the Blessing In Disguise tour with Mike Howe.

They were superb and definitely one of the most underrated metal bands of that era. Great musicians and intelligent lyrics.

The Human Factor was superb too and never got its just due in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmudan View Post
Yeah I was lucky enough to see Metal Church on the Blessing In Disguise tour with Mike Howe.

They were superb and definitely one of the most underrated metal bands of that era. Great musicians and intelligent lyrics.

The Human Factor was superb too and never got its just due in my opinion.
That's beyond awesome. Blessing in Disguise is a great record barring the production. It's worth buying for the majesty and godliness of Fake Healer alone. The Human Factor is my favorite Metal Church album, just edging out the first one. I love the lyrics on that album too, they're thought provoking and heavy without being verbose. And yes, everyone who's ever been in Metal Church are world class musicians. Kirk Arrington alone is one of the most inventive drummers in metal history IMO. Apparently his snare and kick hits on The Dark were replaced with samples, but if you listen to it his sheer power and force come through anyway. That is fucking amazing. Mike and Dave are also two of the best American metal singers ever and Ronny can sing both of them well. That is also fucking amazing.

Also:

http://youtu.be/wvMsHlfuphA

BITCHES.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM
N00B

Impressive vocal range on Ton Of Bricks.

Sounded quite good. I will ask again. Metal Church please come back to Chicago
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM
N00B

I've seen them with Mike and Ronny behind the mic and always put on a great show. Wish I had been able to have seen them with David. The Dark is a metal classic IMO. Glad to see they are back.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM
N00B

Ditto

Tags
metal church