Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Concert Veteran

The standout tracks on Dark Saga are The Hunter, The Last Laugh, Vengence Is Mine, Scarred, Slave To The Dark and A Question Of Heaven. The title track and the equally as bad I Died For You don't have shit on those songs as far as i'm conserned.

Also, I'm partial to Burnt Offerings because it was my first IE album and you tend to hold albums that get you into a particular band in higher esteem than someone else might because of that.

Hopefully Schaffer can come up with something more original for their new stuff. I liked the last two albums but i've had enough of the Something Wicked story. It's time for him to move onto something new in his songwritting.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:38 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
The standout tracks on Dark Saga are The Hunter, The Last Laugh, Vengence Is Mine, Scarred, Slave To The Dark and A Question Of Heaven. The title track and the equally as bad I Died For You don't have shit on those songs as far as i'm conserned.

Also, I'm partial to Burnt Offerings because it was my first IE album and you tend to hold albums that get you into a particular band in higher esteem than someone else might because of that.

Hopefully Schaffer can come up with something more original for their new stuff. I liked the last two albums but i've had enough of the Something Wicked story. It's time for him to move onto something new in his songwritting.
For me the highlights of The Dark Saga have always been the first four songs and A Question of Heaven, and I like Vengeance is Mine. I have virtually no interest in ever listening to the rest of that album again.

Iced Earth have joined the ranks of bands like Hammerfall for me. I will still enjoy their "classic" work because of what it means to my personal history and musical development, and in many cases I would still pay money to see them - but I don't particularly care much about their future studio work, and they could break up tomorrow and I wouldn't be upset whatsoever.

Also, I will forever have a grudge against Iced Earth since Matt Barlow's vocal potential was fully realized with Pyramaze's masterpiece "Immortal", and he abandoned that to go back to a mediocre band whose glory days are ten years behind them.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 AM
N00B

I think The Dark Saga is a very solid album through and through. The only song I'm not big on (but still don't think it sucks) is Depths of Hell. Anyway... I consider their set from the South American tour good if only for the fact that A Question of Heaven was part of it. There's nothing quite like witnessing that one live.

And Maiden33 -- I'm with you; I think Burnt Offerings is incredibly overrated. It's a decent album but I don't understand why it's so loved. Besides Dante's Inferno, I don't find anything about the album to be special. And even then, I don't ejaculate all over Dante's Inferno like some do. Yeah, it's a good song, but there are many other IE songs I'd rather listen to.

And although I think Matt's performance on Pyramaze's "Immortal" is amazing (as is the album as a whole), I was and am happy to see him back in Iced Earth. I just wish he would've stayed in Pyramaze also. Afterall, they don't even tour. They do one-off shows here and there, which he probably could've handled.

Last edited by Grayfox; 04-16-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Nice. I'm in the minority that didn't hate the '08 US setlist though. I enjoyed getting to see 2/3 of Gettysburg, Watching Over Me, Come What May, and Setian Massacre, all of which are absent from this set.
I with you on that one. I too, liked the '08 setlist myself. Sure I would have liked certain songs, but I wouldn't want any other song taken out though.

The chances of hearing anything from Burnt Offerings will be slim. For one, Jon, doesn't like that album to much. I heard this in an interview that was a bonus disc for 'Horror Show.' I will agree that Burnt Offerings is a bit overrated. The only songs I do like are Burnt Offerings, Last December and Dantes Inferno(Yes I am one of those who cream over that song...sorry)
Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
That Guy

I did both like the 2008 set and Burnt Offerings. Meeting the guys in IE after the show was a dream come true for me. It's cool to know that I am actually taller than Matt Barlow. HAHA!

TO me The 2008 setlist was good but it could have had so much more. I was one of the crowds that didn't get I Walk Alone in the set which made me a sad panda. But if they could have added A Question Of Heaven, Violate, or the other two songs in the OSmething Wicked Trilogy, I would have loved it that much more.

As for Burnt Offerings, it was the first album that I really got into IE. I had bought The Glorious Burden before Burnt Offerings but I was advised to check out Matt Barlow on vocals, and I'm happy I did.

I have also gotten to talk to the drummer of Burnt Offerings, Rodney Beasley and I've personally told him that the song, Diary is what got me into the band and into Thrash/Power Metal double bass drumming.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Homebrewing Metalhead

Burnt Offerings is a great album with shitty production. Thats all. I don't get why Schaffer hates it so much. Diary, Burning Oasis, Burnt Offerings, and Dante's Inferno are all killer tracks. Schaffer likes Dante's Inferno but understandably because of its length its not something you will probably ever see in a setlist for a full tour. But I'd love if they did Burnt Offerings from time to time, thats an awesome song.

Dark Saga is kind of a boring album. Question of Heaven is amazing and among their best songs, Violate is also good and Vengeance of mine and The Hunter are ok, but thats about it. Why the hell don't they ever play Red Baron or Attila live. Even when they toured with Ripper (at least when I saw them) they didn't play either of those. Instead they played the lame Greenface.

Still at least they played A Question of Heaven, they didn't when I saw them on the Something Wicked 2 Tour. Its probably just as well cause Matt was sick as a dog and sounded like crap. I hope they do another US tour soon or finally spit out that live album they have been holding on to since forever. Stupid SPV screwed everything up on that end.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
N00B

The DVD (which will presumably also be a live album) is supposed to be out this year. Jon was in Germany to sign with Century Media () and to work on the production for the DVD.

Red Baron/Blue Max was played when I saw Iced Earth with Ripper () in 2004
Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 AM
N00B

am i part of the minority that thinks that Creator Failure is an amazing song off Burnt Offerings?...and i would think Attila might be difficult to do live especially with that middle portion.

Tags
iced earth