Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Finntroll -- Worcester, MA -- April 9th, 2010

Finally met the elusive Chyck.

AWESOME show. That doesn't even really begin to capture it. Hopefully, I'll get a full writeup for Metal Covenant done over the weekend, but it was just such an awesome night.

I was surprised - I definitely thought the crowd got way more into Moonsorrow than they did Finntroll. Yeah, a lot of people were getting into Finntroll, but it just seemed like the crowd was way more active during Moonsorrow, which surprised the shit out of me.

Swallow the Sun (Incomplete, and probably out of order)
These Hours of Despair
Plague of Butteflies
Don't Fall Asleep (Horror Pt. 2)
New Moon

There was also atleast one song (maybe two) before These Hours of Despair, and before Plague of Butterflies there was another song off of New Moon but I didn't catch the title. Also, might have been a song after New Moon.

Moonsorrow
Jumalten Kaupunki/Tuhatvuotinen Perinto
Köyliönjärven Jäällä (Pakanavedet II)
Tulimyrsky
Pimea
Aurinko Ja Kuu

I'm actually a little iffy on the first part of the Moonsorrow set. They definitely played Tulimyrsky, Pimea, and Aurinko Ja Kuu. I believe the first two songs are correct, though.

Finntroll
Nedgang
Drap
Skogens Hamnd
Slaget Vid Blodsalv
Den Frusna Munnen
Nattfodd
Eliytres
Blodnatt
Trollhammaren
Under Bergets Rot
Svartberg
Sang
Korpens Saga
Vatteanda
Kitteldags
Maktens Spira
Solsagan
---------------
Jaktens Tid
Segersang

So, the same set as Springfield + "Maktens Spira" off of Ur Jordens Djup. If I heard Vreth right (which I may not have, since it was hard to understand him from where I was), this was the first time they played it live.

Last edited by JuuKun; 04-10-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Dharma Wants You

I think this is the first time Maktens Spira was played, it's one of my favorites!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Damnit, I'm such a thread title nazi but I forgot the second dash between Finntroll and Worcester. Argh.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

JuuKun DOES exist! And he's totally a badass, btw - staying up front the whole time with the typical psychotic folk metal crowd. Seriously - the folk metal fans are my favorites of the New England fans.

A few corrections to your Finntroll order ('cause my blonde friend kind of... erm... stole one of the lists before the set ). This is the order that was set, though I'm not 100% confident it's the actual order.

Nedgang
Drap
Skogens
Saget
Boingo
Nattfodd
Eliytres
Bloodnatt
Trollhammaren
Kunmitus
Svartberg
Sang
Korpens
Vatteanda
Kittel
Maktens Spira
Solsagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
So, the same set as Springfield + "Maktens Spira" off of Ur Jordens Djup. If I heard Vreth right (which I may not have, since it was hard to understand him from where I was), this was the first time they played it live.
He said it was the second time - the first being the night prior.

Alright - same feelings as JuuKun about this show - what a freakin' amazing time. The crowd was far more into Moonsorrow, but I honestly believe that's because we were all exhausted by the time Finntroll came on. The sets were amazing and nice & long. That's how a tour should be done - fewer bands with longer sets and plenty of time to go crazy.

Aaaaugh! What a great night! I'm never going to be able to sleep!

Last edited by Chyck; 04-09-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyck View Post
JuuKun DOES exist! And he's totally a badass, btw - staying up front the whole time with the typical psychotic folk metal crowd. Seriously - the folk metal fans are my favorites of the New England fans.
Mine too. I love Folk shows up here, because there's such little for the typical -core crowd to go for (though there was that one guy in a Born of Osiris shirt that kept stage diving), so there's practically no egos and it's just one big party. God, that was fun. I always surprise myself at shows like this, cause I'm so small but I always seem able to hold my spot once I've gotten it.

Quote:
A few corrections to your Finntroll order ('cause my blonde friend kind of... erm... stole one of the lists before the set ).
Thanks! Fixed it. I had to guess at two songs, since they don't have songs titled Boingo or Kunmitus, but I'm not surprised (I have a cardboard setlist from a NYC show they did a few years ago that someone sent me because they didn't want it, and two of the songs are labeled Pizza and Shakira). Posters on the Finntroll board said that Boingo was Den Frusna Munnen, and that Kunmitus was the working title for Under Bergets Rot. So I put those in there.

Can't believe I forgot Nedgang opened, though, because I was pleased, as it's my favorite Finntroll song.

I know I was exhausted by the time they came on. Holy shit. It was so awesome to see Moonsorrow get that type of reaction, I don't think the crowd was half as responsive as Paganfest last year. The sound for them was also so much better than it was at Paganfest.

I have to admit, I laughed at the guy behind me before Moonsorrow came on. Him and his friend were discussing songs they'd like to see Opeth play, and his friend mentioned Black Rose Immortal, and he responded along the lines of "Dude, it's 20 minutes long. You don't go and see a band play a 20 minute long song live. *looks towards the stage* Wonder if they'll play Tulimyrsky..." (Which is, of course, a 30 minute long song.)

I think they played about 2/3rs of Tulimyrsky, but I might be wrong. I know they didn't play the whole song, but it felt like most of it.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Oh yeah, and Ville from Moonsorrow came out during one Finntroll song in the middle of the set (can't remember which) to dance and did some backing vocals.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Unhealer

Words cannot express how fucking amazing this show was. I was second row-left of center during Infinite Descent and Swallow the Sun - lost my spot halfway through Moonsorrow and wound up next to the left-hand speaker instead (fuuun), but considering this is the first time I've been in something like THAT, I think I did pretty well given the circumstances...

So, yeah, just seconding that the crowd reaction to Moonsorrow was INSANE. And I watched Finntroll from upstairs, but the random Ville appearances were marvelous. Also, what a perfect show to sell inflatable weapons at...
Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Quote:
Mine too. I love Folk shows up here, because there's such little for the typical -core crowd to go for (though there was that one guy in a Born of Osiris shirt that kept stage diving), so there's practically no egos and it's just one big party. God, that was fun. I always surprise myself at shows like this, cause I'm so small but I always seem able to hold my spot once I've gotten it.
Stage diver dude was fine. It was the 200+ lb dude that landed on me that I wasn't so sure about . I have to admit, though, big dudes crowd surfing amuse me to no end. And seconded on the short thing - I think we're the same pathetic height.

Quote:
Thanks! Fixed it. I had to guess at two songs, since they don't have songs titled Boingo or Kunmitus, but I'm not surprised (I have a cardboard setlist from a NYC show they did a few years ago that someone sent me because they didn't want it, and two of the songs are labeled Pizza and Shakira).
I knew Boingo sounded wrong! Like I told you earlier in the night, though, I had nothing beyond recognition for any of the bands. I just love going to Folk Metal shows, and last night was a prime example of why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
but considering this is the first time I've been in something like THAT, I think I did pretty well given the circumstances...
I don't think there's anything quite like THAT anywhere else. And you'll join the "front row heroes," as my friend tends to call us, when you're ready... or suicidal... whichever comes first .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
Also, what a perfect show to sell inflatable weapons at...
Win on the weapons and dragon. Vreth getting stabbed by the battle sword twice was hilarious. Even the rttp guy got in on the sword action.

...this is awesome. I haven't been buzzing about a show like this for a while. Viva la folk metal!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

I would also like to give major props to the tall guy behind me in the Primordial shirt who tried to keep me from getting destroyed by crowdsurfers falling on me while I was headbanging, and who bought me water after Moonsorrow got off stage. He was awesome.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Unhealer

Quote:
And seconded on the short thing - I think we're the same pathetic height.
5'3" represent! and being an average-sized female probably didn't help matters.

Quote:
I don't think there's anything quite like THAT anywhere else. And you'll join the "front row heroes," as my friend tends to call us, when you're ready... or suicidal... whichever comes first .
Haha, I've been front row center for prog & power metal shows before, but shows like this? I've never been that close before. And actually, I think I'd like to do it again.

Tags
finntroll, moonsorrow, swallow the sun