Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk-- Norrköping, Sweden--December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM

i just realized that the power metal bands that i used to listen to a lot have put out shitty albums. Sonata's Unia and TDAG were awful. Kamelot's Ghost Opera was meeh. i didn't give Stratovarius's Polaris a good listen but i remember it didn't interest me much, but the single Deep Unknown was very good. i should give that album another listen now that i think about it. DragonForce's Ultra Beatdown was fucking awful, sounded like recycled riffs from Inhuman Rampage.

i have high hopes for Blind Guardian...
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
D.B.B.

Will be going to this, no matter what the set lacks.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
i just realized that the power metal bands that i used to listen to a lot have put out shitty albums. Sonata's Unia and TDAG were awful. Kamelot's Ghost Opera was meeh. i didn't give Stratovarius's Polaris a good listen but i remember it didn't interest me much, but the single Deep Unknown was very good. i should give that album another listen now that i think about it. DragonForce's Ultra Beatdown was fucking awful, sounded like recycled riffs from Inhuman Rampage.

i have high hopes for Blind Guardian...
Welcome to power metal as a genre. It's dying if not already dead. I could recommend quality albums I'm sure you've never heard - but generally speaking, especially as it concerns the biggest names - power metal is dead. The bands have either changed their style (some better, most worse) - or are just so incredibly stagnant.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Welcome to power metal as a genre. It's dying if not already dead. I could recommend quality albums I'm sure you've never heard - but generally speaking, especially as it concerns the biggest names - power metal is dead. The bands have either changed their style (some better, most worse) - or are just so incredibly stagnant.
i was at my power metal peak in '06. for a few months power metal was all i listened to. anything with fast power metal riffs, fast keyboards, and nice clean vocals i liked. but after awhile it got dull and all started to sound the same to me. so it's very hard to get into new power metal bands nowadays. so i thought progressive metal would be more interesting, but the only progressive band i really got into was Symphony X and Dream Theater. and Symphony X is one of my top 5 favorite bands but oddly i can't get into any other progressive metal.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
i was at my power metal peak in '06. for a few months power metal was all i listened to. anything with fast power metal riffs, fast keyboards, and nice clean vocals i liked. but after awhile it got dull and all started to sound the same to me. so it's very hard to get into new power metal bands nowadays. so i thought progressive metal would be more interesting, but the only progressive band i really got into was Symphony X and Dream Theater. and Symphony X is one of my top 5 favorite bands but oddly i can't get into any other progressive metal.
What other "Prog Metal" have you tried to get into?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
What other "Prog Metal" have you tried to get into?
i tried a lot but the ones i remember were Pagan's Mind, Pain of Salvation, Circus Maximus, Evergrey, Redemption, Fates Warning, etc. Pagan's Mind interested me the most, i'll probably give them another chance soon.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
i tried a lot but the ones i remember were Pagan's Mind, Pain of Salvation, Circus Maximus, Evergrey, Redemption, Fates Warning, etc. Pagan's Mind interested me the most, i'll probably give them another chance soon.
Ah alright - well yeah, if none of those bands really did anything for you, getting into Prog Metal is probably gonna be a tough sell. Pain of Salvation is definitely a massively acquired taste - even as a prog metal enthusiast, I'm not too big of a fan.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Ah alright - well yeah, if none of those bands really did anything for you, getting into Prog Metal is probably gonna be a tough sell. Pain of Salvation is definitely a massively acquired taste - even as a prog metal enthusiast, I'm not too big of a fan.
yeah i mean all the bands were good, but they didn't give me that urge to listen to more at all, except slightly Pagan's Mind. i'm sure if i give all those bands another shot sooner or later i may like them. it's worked like that with a lot of bands. i mean Symphony X grew to be one of my favorite as soon as i started listening to them.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
N00B

Have they ever played 'Wolf and Raven' in the States? From previous tours, that I have seen the setlist for or seen them, I've never see/hear 'Wolf and Raven' and that song is what go me into Sonata Arctica.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 AM
None ov thy empty Gods shall ever stand above me

Pagan's mind is pretty interesting.

And no one got Powerglove's set ?

Tags
sonata arctica