KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Žķestru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Building off of this: At The Gates's old stuff mostly sucks balls
At the Gates's old stuff absolutely does not suck. I like 'Slaughter of the Soul' as much as the next guy, but 'The Red in the Sky Is Ours' and (to a lesser extent) 'With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness' are far more interesting and atmospheric. I'd probably have to go with 'The Red...' as my favorite ATG album nowadays, in fact; my only complaint with it is the somewhat out-of-tune violin. But even that kind of adds to the strange, twisted sound they had.

Basically, I agree with everything VoidFlame said, except for the stuff about 'Terminal Spirit Disease', because I haven't heard that one.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fates Guardian View Post
At the Gates's old stuff absolutely does not suck. I like 'Slaughter of the Soul' as much as the next guy, but 'The Red in the Sky Is Ours' and (to a lesser extent) 'With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness' are far more interesting and atmospheric. I'd probably have to go with 'The Red...' as my favorite ATG album nowadays, in fact; my only complaint with it is the somewhat out-of-tune violin. But even that kind of adds to the strange, twisted sound they had.

Basically, I agree with everything VoidFlame said, except for the stuff about 'Terminal Spirit Disease', because I haven't heard that one.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Death/Doom is the best genre of metal by miles.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
That Guy

It's a matter of opinion but I realized this last year.

You gotta appreciate a band while you still think they are good. Most people will always hold either the first album, or the next album they hear from a band as their best, even if it is not to the general consensus.

When you listen to as much music as I do, you gotta look at every album as a band's first album, or else you will just hate everything that band does. Look at each album as it's own entity and not compare it to what they have done in the past. Appreciate a latest album for what it is, or hate it for what it is, not because of what lead to it. Otherwise you might miss something that is actually great just because it's not what you hold as their best.

But then again, that is just me.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
-Metallica is "THE" metal band
*happy place* *happy place* *happy place* *happy place* *happy place*

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Most people will always hold either the first album, or the next album they hear from a band as their best
These are called stupid people.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
You gotta appreciate a band while you still think they are good. Most people will always hold either the first album, or the next album they hear from a band as their best, even if it is not to the general consensus.
I've actually come to realize this myself and I try to be concious of it when thinking about my own opinions about new discoveries. Although oftentimes I'll need to hear a second or third album to truly appreciate that band.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
It's a matter of opinion but I realized this last year.

When you listen to as much music as I do, you gotta look at every album as a band's first album, or else you will just hate everything that band does. Look at each album as it's own entity and not compare it to what they have done in the past. Appreciate a latest album for what it is, or hate it for what it is, not because of what lead to it. Otherwise you might miss something that is actually great just because it's not what you hold as their best.

But then again, that is just me.
this is totally true.I don't like it when people have this "this is a good album, but the first album was so good that this just sounds bad compared to it" or "their first album is so awesome they're never going to top it" mentality. A perfect example is how alot people are with Crashdiet albums.I'm sick tired of people saying either "They will never make an album better than Rest In Sleaze" or one that people are starting to make about their newest album, "This is a good album, but it doesn't have the great production that was on Generation Wild", I mean come on people, they wanted a raw,unpolished rock 'n' roll album, and that is what they made, they didn't try to copy their previous record, and I'm extremely impressed with the final product.All three are great records, but that same mentality needs to go away.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I agree with VoidFlame and Fates Guardian to an extent about the older At the Gates stuff. I LOVE the raw, fucked up sound the first few albums have, they just have such a painful sound. I still think SotS is my favorite from them though. And agreed that "buzzsaw" Swedish death kicks the shit out of most Gothenburg metal.
10/11 Tom and Boot Boys
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM

- I don't mind Slayer in moderate doses. However, they're far from being the greatest band on the planet. Not to mention Kerry King sucks absolute balls on guitar.

- Pantera & Death. See above opinion.

- 99% of Slayer/Pantera/Death fans. Good freaking God, relax. Other bands exist.

- Aside from his first 2 albums with Ozzy Osbourne & Pride and Glory, Zakk Wylde is absolutely awful.

- Lamb Of God is one of the most boring bands around that everyone seems to get raging boners over.

- Deep Purple is light years better than Led Zeppelin.

- Guns N Roses had one good album.

- Bruce Springsteen is terrible.

- So is Tom Morello.