System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014
HIM -- Silver Spring, MD -- December 12th, 2014

Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say one from the 80's?

Hendrix might be an over rated "guitarist", but he was a fucking musician. I know the feel over chops argument is cliche but he is the ultimate example. The Strat and Marshall were his pen an paper, brush and canvas, etc. Metal in particular puts way too much emphasis on the tools because most people who start playing can't get creative so they rely on playing faster/better and being more br00tal/epic.

Not taking anything away from Satch, Vai and Gilbert. Petrucci is kind of a tool though.
1) Yes. The solo I'm talking about is on "We'll Meet Again". Probably one of my favorite guitar solos period.

2) You're right about gear - the right gear can easily make mediocre players sound great... to a degree. A great player shouldn't need all the "trimmings" to sound great, which is why most of those who truly are great won't just play one style or one "sound" all the time. My case to the contrary is actually me vs. my band's old second guitarist. He spend like $1,000 to basically buy my entire set up because he loved my tone so much - well, he failed miserably with virtually the same exact gear. The majority of guitar tone itself (not distortion, but technique, feel, and style) is all in the player, not the equipment.

3) If you think Petrucci's a tool, you've probably heard all the wrong stuff. When I only was casually familiar with Dream Theater years ago, I thought he was overrated and really wanky. But after being exposed to a wider variety of what he's capable of, I think he is absolutely -worthy. But if you hate Dream Theater (which I remember correctly, you do), it's probably a waste of time to try to change your mind.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I wasn't talking about any gear in particular, I'm talking about guitars and amps in general, he just favored Strats and Marshalls.

Dream Theater is kind of a love/hate thing for me. Even on the same album I hear great things, and in other places it's a huge facepalm. But I have a pretty low tolerance for wanky and cheesy music.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post

and Picard can only stare on in shock at the faggotry.

If you think Hendrix isn't a god, I'm going to whip out a long lost classic called "I will shit down your throat."
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I wasn't talking about any gear in particular, I'm talking about guitars and amps in general, he just favored Strats and Marshalls.

Dream Theater is kind of a love/hate thing for me. Even on the same album I hear great things, and in other places it's a huge facepalm. But I have a pretty low tolerance for wanky and cheesy music.
I wasn't talking about anything in particular either - I was just saying: Yes, a lot of times in metal you have mediocre-at-best players who just use heavy distortions and over-done effects to cover up their mediocrity - However that can only go so far.

Fair enough abut DT. I don't know what you've heard, but even as a pretty big fan, they have a lot of songs I don't care for. Their past 5 albums have been entirely hit/miss for me.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I just can't fathom people calling Hendrix "overrated."
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
I believe him to be overrated, but still probably the greatest guitarist of all time.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Sheeit. It's easy to fathom, when you think about it.

It's a classic example of someone taking something that almost everybody accepts as truth, and then disagreeing with it. They think it makes them look cool and edgy, that they're willing to "buck the norm". "Ooooohhhh what a rebel that guy must be - he thinks somebody like Hendrix is overrated. I think I want to suck that guy's cock."

Please.

...and people do that kind of shit on here all the fucking time.

Some of my most famous debates are with people who tried that crap, and I was in the wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it ) mood that day, and I called them out for it.

I hate that shit. It's just so fucking lame.

Hendrix, overrated?

YOUR MOTHER IS OVERRATED.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

It's a classic example of someone taking something that almost everybody accepts as truth, and then disagreeing with it. They think it makes them look cool and edgy, that they're willing to "buck the norm". "Ooooohhhh what a rebel that guy must be - he thinks somebody like Hendrix is overrated. I think I want to suck that guy's cock."
A shit load of people also go with the flow on this shit. Everyone says Hendrix is the best, therefore he must be the best. I'll be cool if I say Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever, and if I make a total hyperbole, people will think I know what I'm talking about. I've come to the conclusion that I like a few other guitarists music more than his, but it is no reflection on him as a guitarist. So many people don't understand that when I say he's overrated, I'm not talking about his skills, I'm talking about his music. I think that's all that matters...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

Please.

...and people do that kind of shit on here all the fucking time.

Some of my most famous debates are with people who tried that crap, and I was in the wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it ) mood that day, and I called them out for it.

I hate that shit. It's just so fucking lame.

Hendrix, overrated?

YOUR MOTHER IS OVERRATED.
If you're going to say I'm just playing the "disagreement for the sake of disagreement" card - you can kiss my ass, because it's NOT the case. I think I fully explained myself, and I said - I'm willing to give him a lot of credit, but I just don't think he's quite the absolute god most people make him out to be. Dissenting opinion sometimes exist because people actually have different opinions and aren't just trying to be "hip".
Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
N00B

Jimi was a god like anyone else, just that he knew it