Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014

Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadjedi View Post
What do you have against Jam Room?
Other than the fact that it's terrible? It seriously sounds like a parody of Clutch to me. They're my second favorite band after Maiden but I can't get behind that one...I don't really like any of it. I kinda like One Eye Dollar but the Beale Street version puts it to shame.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are not even close to being Guitar Greats... Not with people like Via, Satch, and Shawn Lane. Shawn Lane was the man!

Also, fan boys suck and can ruin a band's image. (i.e. Bodom and Pantera, the new fans blow).

All in all, I don't see one good thing about Pantera.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are not even close to being Guitar Greats... Not with people like Via, Satch, and Shawn Lane. Shawn Lane was the man!

Also, fan boys suck and can ruin a band's image. (i.e. Bodom and Pantera, the new fans blow).

All in all, I don't see one good thing about Pantera.
Wow, I disagree with basically all of this. Maybe not the fanboys thing, but Hendrix DID do new things with an electric guitar that had never been done, Slash and Dimebag WERE some of the greatest solo writers ever (Dimebag even wrote great riffs!), and Pantera WERE a great band.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Other than the fact that it's terrible? It seriously sounds like a parody of Clutch to me. They're my second favorite band after Maiden but I can't get behind that one...I don't really like any of it. I kinda like One Eye Dollar but the Beale Street version puts it to shame.
Can't even get into Release the Kraken, Raised by Horses, or Basket of Eggs? However, I see what you're saying about the parody thing it is a rather strange album overall.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadjedi View Post
Wait you don't like Release the Kraken, Raised by Horses, or Basket of Eggs?
Maybe I need to revisit them as it's been quite a while, but no, I don't think I do. I'm more surprised at how surprised you are than anything, I kind of thought it was widely accepted that Jam Room sucked.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Maybe I need to revisit them as it's been quite a while, but no, I don't think I do. I'm more surprised at how surprised you are than anything, I kind of thought it was widely accepted that Jam Room sucked.
Well I can't say it sucks cause I love Basket of Eggs, Raised By Horses, and Release the Kraken but its the weakest of all the albums no doubt.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
In Search of Truth

Regarding the guitarists thing:

Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are all very good guitarists, no doubt. But they are all overrated, no question - and they are NOT gods of the instruments.

Hendrix must be respected for the revolutionary effect he had on electric guitar, he is no doubt one of the most influential and iconic players to have ever picked up the instrument. But by the standard's of everything that's out there, he's only solid - not amazing. If you're one of those people who thinks influence = automatic god-status, great - but I am not.

Slash is honestly completely overrated and underrated at the same time, a very rare thing. I do have a lot of respect for him, being a die-hard les Paul fanatic and a great, soulful, blues-based guitarist. But he's not incredible.

Dimebag was no doubt an amazing guitarist (though IMO his easily best solo goes completely unnoticed), but he was not absolute god-status - but he died, thus everyone grew a massive boner for him, which I hate. I won't talk any crap or negativity about him, despite how much I hate a lot of later Pantera, and how much I hate the whole stigma attached to the whole thing.

But essentially I agree with Butcher of Birth. None of these guys even begins to hold a candle to guys like Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Criss Oliva, Steve Vai, Joe Stump, or Vinnie Moore.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Peace on earth sells... but who's buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
(though IMO his easily best solo goes completely unnoticed)
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say one from the 80's?

Hendrix might be an over rated "guitarist", but he was a fucking musician. I know the feel over chops argument is cliche but he is the ultimate example. The Strat and Marshall were his pen an paper, brush and canvas, etc. Metal in particular puts way too much emphasis on the tools because most people who start playing can't get creative so they rely on playing faster/better and being more br00tal/epic.

Not taking anything away from Satch, Vai and Gilbert. Petrucci is kind of a tool though.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Metal in particular puts way too much emphasis on the tools because most people who start playing can't get creative so they rely on playing faster/better and being more br00tal/epic.