Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

downset. -- Albany, NY -- July 24th 2014
Megadeth -- Metaldays Festival, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL-- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

  #151  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Indestructible's Avatar
Indestructible Indestructible is offline
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
What the fuck are you talking about.
To sum it up I hate mostly all screaming and growling.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Indestructible's Avatar
Indestructible Indestructible is offline
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
A) There is melody. Pay attention when you're listening. I bet you can sing at least sing the riff that's being played. Not to mention that pigeonholing any instrument to one specific role, vocals included, is boring.
I like melodic singing. I assume when the growling and screaming thing dirst started they wanted to do something with vocals that hasnt been done before but for alot of bands that turned out to be a bad idea.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Everywhere Else
Posts: 22,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
New thrash facts:
-Municipal Waste is bad because "party thrash" is bad.
-Toxic Holocaust is good because nobody else is doing that sound and it actually kicks ass.
-Skeletonwitch is fantastic but shouldn't be lumped in new thrash.
-The rest aren't even worth talking about they're so insincere.
There are issues here. 1st, "party thrash" is bad? You don't like to party and you don't like to thrash, nor do you like combining the two? That ain't right. Its got its time and place like everything. 2nd, nobody else is doing the "Toxic Holocaust sound" ( )? That ain't right either, nor do they have a unique sound by any stretch. Skeletonwitch ain't fantastic, they're mediocre power metal with those kinda vocals instead of falsetto, and they shouldn't be lumped in with new thrash because they ain't thrash. Finally, what is "sincere"? If growing your hair long and living in a van and making no money playing music that 99% of the world is oblivious to in some dive bar each night is insincere then I don't wanna know sincereity.
__________________
Feel It

Last edited by ADD; 04-04-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Everywhere Else
Posts: 22,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
No truer statement in this thread. Or any other.

And how many do we each know who are? Ten? Tops?
I love those who choose their way and live by it regardless of whether I personally agree with their way or not, for I have my own that they may not agree with either. Too many people eschew their freedom of choice, or think that things are only one way.
__________________
Feel It
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
There are issues here. 1st, "party thrash" is bad? You don't like to party and you don't like to thrash, nor do you like combining the two? That ain't right. Its got its time and place like everything. 2nd, nobody else is doing the "Toxic Holocaust sound" ( )? That ain't right either, nor do they have a unique sound by any stretch. Skeletonwitch ain't fantastic, they're mediocre power metal with those kinda vocals instead of falsetto, and they shouldn't be lumped in with new thrash because they ain't thrash. Finally, what is "sincere"? If growing your hair long and living in a van and making no money playing music that 99% of the world is oblivious to in some dive bar each night is insincere then I don't wanna know sincereity.
Yeah, you pretty much tore down everything I said with that one. I don't care enough about any of it to argue, so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Indestructible's Avatar
Indestructible Indestructible is offline
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post
I guess I thought I would get more tolerant of people as I got older, but that has certainly not been the case.

People suck but try to find some people that you can tolerate.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Sanitarium78's Avatar
Sanitarium78 Sanitarium78 is offline
Concert Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
You can be tolerant of other people and be happy with more contact with the world if you choose to be. If you choose to be intolerant and have little contact with the outside world than thats how it will be. If you choose to be tolerant and enjoy the contact you have with the outside world than that will make life very easy and happy. I know people your age who say they enjoy less contact with others and they might a little but inside I think they would enjoy a little more human contact because it would make for a better,easier and happier life I think they would be better off enjoying everything instead of hating it. Im 17 and I use to be intolerant and hate alot of people but after about 4 1/2 years of hating things and meeting a few new people I have realized I want to be tolerant of others and enjoy the world with human contact not hate it I dont know who you are so I cant really say if you hate the world or not Im just judging from what you said about you being happier with the less contact you have with the world and from experience with people I know. If you understand my point then maybe it can help you.
I get your point though you took the long way to get there. Honestly, I am tolerant of most people weather they're different than me or not. I just choose to have less contact with people because it's just my personal preference. I know people who make friends with everyone. That's who they are and i'm fine with that. I've tried to be the nice friendly guy before in life and I wasn't that comfortable with it. So I just stuck with what felt right to me. The pharase "to each his own" comes to mind here.

Now onto the whole screaming/growling vocal debate. It's not my thing at all. The only band with a full time growler I listen to is Lamb Of God. But what you need to keep in mind is that when some people were first exposed to metal it may not have been a band with clean vocals. If a band like Behemoth was your first taste of metal, you're gonna favor that vocal style because that's what opened your eyes to the metal world. I on the other hand grew up as a little kid in the 80s hearing the metal that my older brother and his friends were listening to. So naturally, when I started collecting metal albums, I gravitated towards band like Maiden and the big four among others. That's what I knew to be metal so that's what I went with and that's what I stick with today. The same can be said for someone who got into metal by first hearing growlers, when they go to collect albums they're also looking for bands the same style becasue that's metal as they know it to be.

Just because someone prefers growling over clean doesn't make them less of a metal fan. They're just going with the style that got them into it and that's not wrong in anyway. Even if they don't like the same metal as you, all that matters is that they're at least a metal fan.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Metal_Head Metal_Head is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Here is an actual truth...

I would go to more shows in Worcester if I lived closer.
So. Fucking. True. All the metal tours that hit MA hit The Palladium. I live an hour away, I rarely get out to shows I'd love to go to.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Head View Post
So. Fucking. True. All the metal tours that hit MA hit The Palladium. I live an hour away, I rarely get out to shows I'd love to go to.
This is going to incite a large amount of PMS - so first this disclaimer:
I apologize if you are either really broke or too young to go to shows on your own and don't know any friends with similar interests - or any other configuration of stuff you have no control over...

But that being said, an hour is nothing. Unless you live in a real city, if you expect most bands to come much closer, you're pretty crazy. Aside from a random club here or there that maybe books less than half-a-dozen shows in a year I'd even consider going to - all the shows I really care about going to are either in Philadelphia (80 minutes), or New York City (a little under 2 hours). It's not that far. I'm driving 3.5 hours to see Maiden, 4 hours to see Fates Warning, and 13 hours to go to ProgPower USA XI this year alone.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
I drive an hour and a half to get into the city at least 90% of the time, unless it's in Oakland.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008