Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastulio_ View Post
they're great (Except vocals on Oblivion...but I'll let that slide)
(notice: every time it's been played live, it was the opener)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned Asshole

I haven't seen Mastodon since they were touring for Blood Mountain. They lost me with Crack the Skye. I just couldn't get into it. : /
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Mastodon: Not much stage presence but a killer performance. Watching Brann play drums is worth the price of admission.

1349: Very good, nice corpse paint.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned Asshole

Mastodon was the first metal band I ever saw live. They were so boring! They had no stage presence, and even if i had appreciated their music at the time I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

Skeletonwitch is fucking awesome live!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM

i thought Mastodon was boring live when i saw them. but this was before Crack The Skye came out, and i like a few tracks on it. Skeletonwitch are a lot of fun live. I thought Between the Buried and Me was good, but i didn't know any of their material when i saw them. and this was also before The Great Misdirect came out, i'm sure i'd love them if i saw them now. i don't know about the other bands.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Mastodon is good if Brent isn't shitfaced which is a rare occurence.

Between The Buried and Me is fantastic. One of the top live bands around right now

Haven't seen 1349 or Skeletonwitch.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2010, 04:53 AM
N00B

BTBAM is amazing live.

Not a fan of Skeletonwitch but they're good live.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Mastodon is good if Brent isn't shitfaced which is a rare occurence.
That hasn't been a problem for quite some time now. I would think someone whose screen name is Mastodon would be a little more in the know about them than you seem to be.

EDIT: ...and just for the record, I also disagree with those who say that Mastodon has no stage presence. Granted, I've only seen them once - which was last May on tour with Kylesa and IntrOnaut - but they were fantastic. Troy is obviously the most animated, and Brent isn't too far behind. Brann is fun to watch as well, as someone else had noted earlier. They aren't a crust punk band jumping around and doing back flips or anything, and they don't stand up there and scream for circle pits or anything, but in my book, that's actually a good thing. Mastodon is awesome live, as far as I'm concerned - and I've been going to metal shows for about twenty-five years now, so...take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-24-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
That hasn't been a problem for quite some time now. I would think someone whose screen name is Mastodon would be a little more in the know about them than you seem to be.

EDIT: ...and just for the record, I also disagree with those who say that Mastodon has no stage presence. Granted, I've only seen them once - which was last May on tour with Kylesa and IntrOnaut - but they were fantastic. Troy is obviously the most animated, and Brent isn't too far behind. Brann is fun to watch as well, as someone else had noted earlier. They aren't a crust punk band jumping around and doing back flips or anything, and they don't stand up there and scream for circle pits or anything, but in my book, that's actually a good thing. Mastodon is awesome live, as far as I'm concerned - and I've been going to metal shows for about twenty-five years now, so...take that for what it's worth.

Mastodon is my favorite band but the thing is that the first two times I saw them live especially Hinds was really off the mark vocally and was quite drunk. Last May on the Crack The Skye Hinds wasn't drunk and they were great. Mastodon is perfect in the studio and they are great live when Hinds isn't drunk. I understand where you are coming from Nat when you question if I am in the know or not. I am a diehard Mastodon fan like I said they are favorite band and in the studio they perfect, jaw-dropping and overall just fucking amazing but like I said live they don't always deliver.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Mastodon is my favorite band but the thing is that the first two times I saw them live especially Hinds was really off the mark vocally and was quite drunk. Last May on the Crack The Skye Hinds wasn't drunk and they were great. Mastodon is perfect in the studio and they are great live when Hinds isn't drunk. I understand where you are coming from Nat when you question if I am in the know or not. I am a diehard Mastodon fan like I said they are favorite band and in the studio they perfect, jaw-dropping and overall just fucking amazing but like I said live they don't always deliver.
Fair enough. My main point is that if Brent hasn't been fucking up lately, don't tell folks who don't know about this band that he's likely to fuck up in the future if you don't know it for sure (and especially if you know that he's changed his ways as of late). If I was a true fan of the band (which I am), I would want to tell a newcomer that they have a lot of potential to be awesome live, to the maximum extent that it's true in my mind. If I felt the need to bring up past shortcomings, which I would probably just skip over, at least I'd throw a caveat out there that it looks like the issue has been cleared up as of late.

I'm a firm believer (and in fact, I have some very close personal experience with this) that people can change a great deal, given the proper motivation. I also know how hard it is to sustain a positive change when people all around you are still assuming you're about to drop the ball again "like he always did", so it just gets my heckles up a bit when I read comments to that effect, even if you really didn't mean anything by it (which I assume you didn't).

Peace,
Nat