Grindcore Fest -- Los Angeles, CA -- July 12th, 2014
Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I agree with the statement about metal being better back then for one reason, and thats the boundaries that were pushed and the way in which which they were pushed. Bands were really trying to be different and merge sounds together alot than today, then again if you look underground there is still alot of different things being done, its just that the BIG changes were made in the 'golden' era of metal. Nowadays you hafta be more obscene than cannibal corpse for your artwork and heavier than, well, essentially a wall of noise to top whats been done. But, as I said, there are still great pioneers in every style and genre pushing things forward in the right way and what not.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Actually, 80s pop music was awesome.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Word. Pop music today is absolutely garbage, but I'm not ashamed to admit there was a lot of decent 80s pop. That was back when pop music actually had a sound that was definitively "pop music" - not just shitty electronic noises, hip-hop beats, and autotuned vocals.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
That's a pretty fucking general statement. Pretty sure pop music from every decade has been a decent mix of good and crap.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
That's a pretty fucking general statement. Pretty sure pop music from every decade has been a decent mix of good and crap.
There is no pop music from this decade (at least the last quite a few years) that I like - or even really can tolerate. Even 90s pop music as a collective shits on current pop music, and I think 80s definitely does. If you were to compile a list of 100 random successful pop songs from the 80s and 100 random successful pop songs from the past 5 or 10 years, and I guarantee you the number of songs I somewhat enjoy would be about 10x higher on the 80s list. I would guarantee it.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
There is no pop music from this decade (at least the last quite a few years) that I like - or even really can tolerate. Even 90s pop music as a collective shits on current pop music, and I think 80s definitely does. If you were to compile a list of 100 random successful pop songs from the 80s and 100 random successful pop songs from the past 5 or 10 years, and I guarantee you the number of songs I somewhat enjoy would be about 10x higher on the 80s list. I would guarantee it.
Alright. Definitely a taste thing, though. There's about a half dozen pop artists right now that I absolutely adore and I think a good bit of 80s pop sounds painfully dated.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Alright. Definitely a taste thing, though. There's about a half dozen pop artists right now that I absolutely adore and I think a good bit of 80s pop sounds painfully dated.
Figures. I think lady Gaga is absolutely fucking terrible, and abomination to music as a whole. Every time I see her, I throw up in my mouth a little bit, haha.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Figures. I think lady Gaga is absolutely fucking terrible, and abomination to music as a whole. Every time I see her, I throw up in my mouth a little bit, haha.
I'd link you to videos of her performing "Speechless" or "Paparazzi" live, but since it would be a waste of my time, I will agree to disagree.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:13 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
I'd link you to videos of her performing "Speechless" or "Paparazzi" live, but since it would be a waste of my time, I will agree to disagree.
If this is to convince me about the live spectacle that pop music is, I don't need to have it proven - I've seen enough to know. But that being said, there is absolutely no way on earth I will ever concede that they have any relevance to someone who truly cares about musical integrity and musical performance. If I want a spectacle, I'll go to the circus.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
If this is to convince me about the live spectacle that pop music is, I don't need to have it proven - I've seen enough to know. But that being said, there is absolutely no way on earth I will ever concede that they have any relevance to someone who truly cares about musical integrity and musical performance. If I want a spectacle, I'll go to the circus.
The opposite, actually. She does those at a piano with nothing but the keys and her voice. I knew you would have that precise reaction to the rest of her set.

Tags
judas priest