Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014

Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Concert Veteran

My first metal concert was in 1992 and this tour is the first i've ever heard about this paperless ticket thing. It just sounds really fucked up to me. Does someone know exactly how this works? If you don't have an actual ticket how the fuck are supposed to know where you're sitting if it's a reserved seating venue? Or more importantly how are you granted acess into the venue without one?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned Asshole

Hell ya man.

My biggest problem with them is that I like to keep my stubs. If I dont get to have a stub from the time I road tripped 2 states over to see two of my favorite bands I'm gonna be pissed. haha
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
In Search of Truth

I just created a "People Against Paperless Ticketing" group on Facebook. I invited all of you that I'm friends with, but otherwise, here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10150158977710641

@ Butcher of Birth: If you don't mind, I can take your story and post it in the group, as a class example of WHY this system is bullshit.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Regretting my username

Lady Gaga tickets are around $300, I've heard. Iron Maiden tickets may be expensive compared to other metal shows, but I'd say we are lucky.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Exactly. This stupid Paperless Ticketing horeshit is LiveNation's shtick. I fucking hate it too, and it has nothing to do with Maiden, they're merely jumping on a hot bandwagon.

I'm not going to say there aren't pros to this Paperless Ticketing thing, but the cons easily cancel them out. People need to protest this. It will never change anything, but at least unified decent might make us feel better.
I think the fact that scalpers can't get a hold of the best tickets and turn them around for profit (usually 100% or more) outweighs the cons greatly.
You CAN use a debit card unless there is a weird state law... I've had one since I was 16.
And if all else fails, get a Ticketmaster gift card. They're available at most supermarkets now, and I would make sure to get more than enough worth to make sure you can cover all the fees. It's not like you won't be using the rest of it anyway...
If all of your shit clears up, you should be able to get another credit card in a week or two no problem.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
My first metal concert was in 1992 and this tour is the first i've ever heard about this paperless ticket thing. It just sounds really fucked up to me. Does someone know exactly how this works? If you don't have an actual ticket how the fuck are supposed to know where you're sitting if it's a reserved seating venue? Or more importantly how are you granted acess into the venue without one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Meat1940 View Post
Hell ya man.

My biggest problem with them is that I like to keep my stubs. If I dont get to have a stub from the time I road tripped 2 states over to see two of my favorite bands I'm gonna be pissed. haha
Usually the paperless tickets are only for premium seats (first few rows, pit, etc.) and there is a separate entrance for paperless tickets. You bring the credit card you purchased with and your ID matching the card, they should let you in if it's not yours as long as they match. They scan your credit card and print out a ticket right there. It's a little different from a regular ticket but still has the nostalgia/whatever value.

Last edited by TonyD; 03-16-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I think the fact that scalpers can't get a hold of the best tickets and turn them around for profit (usually 100% or more) outweighs the cons greatly.
... No.

To my knowledge scalping is not that big of a problem, and NO ONE gets hurt by it except for the fans who are willing to pay for those scalped tickets. No one has a gun to their head, it's their decision. It seems to me that the reason this is being done is that venues and big-name acts are butt-hurt that someone else might be making a few extra bucks. They make the same amount of money either way - and as I said, the only fans scalping hurts are the ones who choose to be victimized by it. Shows like these will continue to be corrupt no matter how much you try to fix them - the only previous show in which I dealt with this system was one of the worst, most corrupt shows I've ever encountered.

Stories like this one are exactly why this system is flawed, and a bad idea. The small amount of scalping this system prevents is NOT worth the absolute fucking of the every-man who just wants to see a show.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

More info on paperless ticket:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/help.html?tm_link=tm_ql_4

Also, the pit at the Nissan (refuse to call it that stupid new name) is huge so I'm sure there will still be pit tickets for sale on Saturday when the general public sale starts so maybe your dad can get another card by then?
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM

I got fucked for Alice in Chains because tickets went on sale in less than a weeks notice, and basically ended up paying double what I would have at the venue.
If you don't like it all you can do is bitch an moan, because I know you're not about to boycott the show, and if you do, somebody else will be happy to take your place. Ticketmaster is a private company and isn't about to change anything unless profits drop.
I've avoided TM at all costs by getting out of bed early on Sunday mornings and going to the venue all but about 2 times this year, not including this. I save little or no money, but it's the principal.

Last edited by TonyD; 03-16-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Usually the paperless tickets are only for premium seats (first few rows, pit, etc.) and there is a separate entrance for paperless tickets. You bring the credit card you purchased with and your ID matching the card, they should let you in if it's not yours as long as they match. They scan your credit card and print out a ticket right there. It's a little different from a regular ticket but still has the nostalgia/whatever value.
Ok, now that it's been explained it kinda makes sense. But it still seems like a lot to go through once you get to the venue. It would be easier and it would save a few steps if they just mailed you the tickets after you ordered them. What if something happens like you lose your card or it gets cancelled or whatever before the show are you pretty much screwed then?