Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Dragon Of The R che

Thumbs down Queensryche To Take Cabaret Show On The Road

Quote:
Seattle progressive rock giants QUEENSRčCHE have issued the following update:

"Two big new rumors to pass along today. The first is that the band has already begun work on their new album, and get this, it's nearly done being written. No word on a direction, theme or possible release date, but nonetheless, all those details are being worked on as we speak.

"But as we wait for more information on the new album, rumors of a spring/summer tour are starting to heat up. What we can tell you is that due to the success of the two cabaret shows in Seattle, the band has decided to take it on the road. No dates to announce just yet; look for those soon. In the meantime, [this video] might help get y'all excited."
Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=136162

Bah! Fuck that shit! Get Chris back and put out a METAL album!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
N00B

this makes me want to hang out in the locker room at the gym
5/23 MDF
7/20 QOTSA
7/30 NINSG
Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=136162

Bah! Fuck that shit! Get Chris back and put out a METAL album!
They turned to shit while Chris was still with them. HITNF was not good at all and neither was Tribe when he came back to help write. I honestly don't think he'd help them as much as some think he would, considering how bad his last two efforts with the band were. I wouldn't have much hope that a new colaboration with him would be any better. Chris's heart just isn't in it anymore

I read about this Caberet shit on blabbermouth a while back. I'm not really sure what exactly Geoff is thinking with this at all. Going by how bad their music has been the last 15 years, their questionable setlist selections and this Caberet crap, no one is more outta touch with their fan base than Queensryche is at this point.

It's a real shame to see a band that was so great, fall so far down.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

"No word on a direction, theme or possible release date, but nonetheless, all those details are being worked on as we speak."

Nonsense. It will be a social commentary concept album.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
We're dying on the inside

I really can't believe that they were once good, and actually released what might be my favorite album of all time. Shame.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I don't share everyone's dislike of 'Tribe' or 'Operation: Mindcrime II', so I don't see their decline in quite the same way.

I think 'American Soldier' is pretty poor though, and they weren't fantastic the last time two times I saw them. They did that thing where they play mini-sets from certain albums, which on that tour were 'Rage For Order', 'American Soldier' and 'Empire'. So it was great for about five songs, then mostly shit. I suffered that set twice

When they finally did the complete Mindcrime set in the UK that was fantastic, and was a great show.

And the only other time was back in 2006 at a festival where they basically played a shortened hits set with a couple of Mindcrime II songs. Pretty decent.

But I think since the original Mindcrime, and they got their reputation for trying different things with each album, new directions, concepts etc. they've been too desperate to repeat that and their ideas are getting weirder and more desperate.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I don't share everyone's dislike of 'Tribe' or 'Operation: Mindcrime II', so I don't see their decline in quite the same way.

I think 'American Soldier' is pretty poor though, and they weren't fantastic the last time two times I saw them. They did that thing where they play mini-sets from certain albums, which on that tour were 'Rage For Order', 'American Soldier' and 'Empire'. So it was great for about five songs, then mostly shit. I suffered that set twice

When they finally did the complete Mindcrime set in the UK that was fantastic, and was a great show.

And the only other time was back in 2006 at a festival where they basically played a shortened hits set with a couple of Mindcrime II songs. Pretty decent.

But I think since the original Mindcrime, and they got their reputation for trying different things with each album, new directions, concepts etc. they've been too desperate to repeat that and their ideas are getting weirder and more desperate.
I quite like Tribe, actually. I think the two that preceded it were crap, but Tribe totally nails that relaxed vibe they were going for.

Mindcrime II I initially like, probably because the live show was so good, but it's unfortunately little more than an excuse to sing more about Dr. X and Nikki and Mary and the songs took a backseat to the story, whereas the original could have had lyrics about damn near anything and still been a masterpiece.

But American Soldier is terrible, and this idea is terrible, and they're not even struggling for relevance anymore, it seems like they're trying to outdo their last terrible idea with each new terrible idea.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Gotta admit that Tribe has some good songs. Queensryche get kind of a bad rap overall I think, but in recent years they've really been justifying the haters.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Catch The Rainbow

They need another album like The Warning!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
The Cheese

Tribe is an awesome album. I'm not really sure what's up with the American Soldier hate either. It's a good album. It has a good variety of songs. I'd say it's weaker than Tribe, but definitely stronger than Operation: Mindcrime II. Also the tour was pretty good. Sure, they're getting shit for the kid playing guitar, but he's not bad. He's more true to Chris' tone than Stone ever was. And at least when I saw the band on the American Soldier tour the guys really seemed into their performances, and it was a really good show.

As for the cabaret? I think it's silly, but I still give them a bit of credit for at least trying new things. The format of a rock show is something that basically remains unchanged, and I appreciate that they try to think outside of that box. However, I think where they've gone this time is just plain corny.

I don't think they'll ever please everybody, or maybe even anybody. When you start out the gate as basically America's answer to Iron Maiden, get big with a song that could've fallen off Wish You Were Here, and release albums after that that can either be pegged as both of those things or neither, you're just kind of setting yourself up for being hated on.

I'll probably skip this tour, unless they keep Promised Land's title track on the set. If so, count me in. For the future, I hope they don't try something like this again. And the album, I think they need to try to re-capture the sound they had on Promised Land. In my opinion, that was the best blend of genres they've tried, not to mention the peak of their songwriting and musicianship.