View Poll Results: Pick One:
Blue, by a mile! 3 20.00%
Blue, by a narrow margin. 4 26.67%
I am a wussy - please don't make me pick one! 2 13.33%
Red, by a narrow margin. 5 33.33%
Red, by a mile! 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

The Great Baroness Debate

Pick one above. Feel free to explain below, if you like. Go!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM
We're dying on the inside

Red, by a narrow margin. It's less coherent than Blue as an album experience, but almost every individual song is better than any individual song on Blue. I love both and I appreciate Blue for what it is but I think Red is the superior album.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Red, by a narrow margin. It's less coherent than Blue as an album experience, but almost every individual song is better than any individual song on Blue. I love both and I appreciate Blue for what it is but I think Red is the superior album.
Well stated.

Wrong, but well stated.

(Just kidding )
Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I am a wussy, please don't make me pick one!

In all seriousness, when I first heard the Red Album, I didn't see what the big deal was. There were way to many soft (and boring) moments for me to hail it as the second coming of Remission era Mastodon. In fact the only reason I think I went on to buy Blue in the first place was reading a review on Blue Record with the exact same feelings as mine on Red. So I figured Blue was the better record, people were just too stupid and snooty to realize it. At first I thought Blue blew Red away, but after going back and listening to Red, I began to appreciate some of the parts that I previously thought were flaws. That and upon repeat listens of Blue, some of it's flaws become apparent. So I put them on equal footing

By the way- Subliminal mind control: the next time you hear that opening riff to Horse Called Golgotha, you will think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhyjQQ9Pcw&feature=related

Last edited by JRA; 02-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Blue by a narrow margin.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
By the way- Subliminal mind control: the next time you hear that opening riff to Horse Called Golgotha, you will think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhyjQQ9Pcw&feature=related
I always thought that Gap commercial was cute, but I don't see the connection to Baroness - so I'm guessing you're trying to get into my head and make me associate two completely different things, just for the hell of it. Well it ain't gonna work, son. I have a mind like a steel sieve, and a rapist wit to boot. So there.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I always thought that Gap commercial was cute, but I don't see the connection to Baroness - so I'm guessing you're trying to get into my head and make me associate two completely different things, just for the hell of it. Well it ain't gonna work, son. I have a mind like a steel sieve, and a rapist wit to boot. So there.
I'm sorry, but it's just the gayest goddamn riff I've ever heard. That riff sounds like it belongs in a fashion commerical, not on an album, hence why I posted the Gap Commercial. In fact dare I say the song would be much better if they just chopped that part off.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I'm sorry, but it's just the gayest goddamn riff I've ever heard. That riff sounds like it belongs in a fashion commerical, not on an album, hence why I posted the Gap Commercial. In fact dare I say the song would be much better if they just chopped that part off.
Oh, so you WERE serious!

Well, I guess I see what you mean a little bit, but if you notice, what they're basically doing - and a lot of bands do this - is introducing the "backbone" of the riffs in the rest of the song, in a very rudimentary way, in the beginning. So they take those few simple chords that you hear all by themselves (and according to you, sound kind of weird or out of place without any texture around them), and then they build on those same chords to create the more complex riffs which are used in the rest of the song. I can see why those simple chords played all by themselves in that fashion might not be the most "metal" thing in the world in some opinions, but I didn't mind it. I mean, it happens rather quickly, and then they launch into one of the best songs on the album and start destroying shit left and right soon enough, so it all good, right? I think maybe it's just that the little details get under your skin in a little different way than most folks, is all. I'm not judgin', I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Oh, so you WERE serious!

Well, I guess I see what you mean a little bit, but if you notice, what they're basically doing - and a lot of bands do this - is introducing the "backbone" of the riffs in the rest of the song, in a very rudimentary way, in the beginning. So they take those few simple chords that you hear all by themselves (and according to you, sound kind of weird or out of place without any texture around them), and then they build on those same chords to create the more complex riffs which are used in the rest of the song.
a) I am not stupid. I know how riffs work.

b) But that's my point, the rest of the song doesn't sound anything like that riff. I don't hear the chord progression at all.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Dude, I never said you were stupid. Not even close. I have no idea where that's coming from.

Anyway, the chord progression is there, I assure you. That's why i gave you the explanation that I did - because I heard it. It's not immediately obvious, but it is there. Baroness does this kind if thing all the time.