Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Best & Worst Set-list Bands

Since the usual tune of this site is either bitching or praising (mostly bitching) of set lists, who do you think does the best/worst?
What I think should be taken into account:
1. How does a band change their set every tour, since you aren't likely to see them more than once.
2. How does it change nightly to keep everyone on their toes, since the set is almost always up on the internet before you go to see your show.
3. How do they represent their catalog and how often they pull a surprise out of the bag.

Go.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Best:
Sodom- They rotate songs around and don't play very much from their lame period, never seen a bad set.
Metallica- While some nights are really shitty sets they make up for it by pulling out awesome old songs the next night.
GWAR- Every tour cycle has pretty different sets, granted night to night is completely rehearsed and never varies, but tour to tour they keep it interesting, and don't even always play Sick of You anymore. Of course I could do with little to no "new stuff."

Worst:
Behemoth- Not only do they always play the same songs, the only one of their songs from their best musical period that has survived the years is From the Pagan Vastlands.
Iron Maiden- Totally predictable.
3 Inches of Blood- As far as I can tell they have always played the same songs, the few "hits", never anything else.

All I can think of off hand.

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 03-02-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Added reasoning
Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Best:
Sodom
Metallica
GWAR

Worst:
Behemoth
Iron Maiden
3 Inches of Blood

All I can think of off hand.
I have to give Behemoth credit for bringing Christians to the Lions back so I can't agree with them as the worst. Sodom has been virtually ignoring some of their fastest and best songs off the 1st 4 albums so I would never put them in the Top. When they bust out Deathlike Silence, Nuclear Winter, My Atonement, Christ Passion & Baptism of Fire and stop playing fukkin Motorhead and Tank covers I'll have more respect for their setlists. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I have to give Behemoth credit for bringing Christians to the Lions back so I can't agree with them as the worst. Sodom has been virtually ignoring some of their fastest and best songs off the 1st 4 albums so I would never put them in the Top. When they bust out Deathlike Silence, Nuclear Winter, My Atonement, Christ Passion & Baptism of Fire and stop playing fukkin Motorhead and Tank covers I'll have more respect for their setlists. Just my 2 cents.

Behemoth is up there because I have seen them 3 times in the course of 3 years, and there has been about a 4 song difference total between the sets. Sodom switch it up night to night and always seem to have pretty solid sets. Sure more of (or at least some of)Obsessed by Cruelty and Persecution Mania would be good, but that doesnt ruin the sets. Also, I might be wrong but I thought Nuclear Winter has been played recently. And there is nothing wrong with Tank covers.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Concert Veteran

Best:
Rush - still do the big hits but always bust out a number a rarities each tour.

Metallica - are always good at rotating 4 or 5 old school songs a night.

Alice In Chains - put on long sets and always rotate a few songs every show.

Alice Cooper - much like Rush he does the big hits but always seems to bust out a number of deep cuts each tour to please the diehards.

Worst:
Dream Theater - mostly because of how bad the sets were this tour.

Iron Maiden - except for the SBIT set which was excellent they need to switch up some of the 80s shit they do a little more often.

Lamb Of God - been playing the same set for a whole year now, time to throw a few different ones in.

Lacuna Coil - they completely ignore their first two albums and act like they never existed.

Ozzy - been playing the same set for about 15 years now, you've done enough enjoy the carefree life retirement offers.

Megadeth - it wouldn't kill them to drop WUD or SOMT for a tour or two and do something different from those two albums.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
In Search of Truth

First ones that jumped to mind:

Best:
-Saxon - Gotta love a band without tour setlists. They change things up dramatically night to night, including loads of spontaneous songs not on the physical setlist, shows usually topping out around 20-22 songs.
-Dream Theater - Notorious for their randomness, which can be horrible if you're a casual fan. More recently they've been "normalizing", but I still think back in their heyday of 3-hour shows, they were amazing.
-Blind Guardian - Night to night rotations and a truly unparalleled notion of what fans consider their best songs. See the Imaginations Through the looking Glass DVD for proof of the fact that they are beasts at picking their own best songs out for setlists - and yeah, the night to night rotations are nice.
-Symphony X - Again, great perception of a lot of their best songs. No night-to-night rotation, but every tour leg they always switch things up a bit, and their live shows are just top notch I think.
-Tesla - Seen them 7 times, never seen a boring setlist. Actually, I have seen more of their discography than I haven't seen. Still haven't seen a few of my favorites, but for them to break out songs like "last Action Hero" for the first time EVER last October, 15 years after its release - points must be awarded.

Worst:
-WASP - They only play for 75 minutes, and 80% of that setlist never, ever changes. They have tons and tons of material that never sees the light of day.
-Edguy - Again, pretty averse to lengthy shows, and absolutely horrible at set list variation. I actually sat out their last US tour out of disappointment (as well as lack funds). It's just the same 5 pre-Hellfire Club songs, the same 2 Hellfire Club songs (maybe 3), no epics, no surprises - it's just boring. DAMN shame because they're my third favorite band and have dozens of songs I love.
-Sonata Arctica - Some of this attributed to the crapiness of their newer stuff, flooding recent set lists. But more than that, the selections off of the older albums never change, and they never play Replica on proper US tours.
-Iron Maiden - Had this discussion many, many times before. Aside from the A Matter of life and Death tour and some rare other occasions, they just seem completely unable to take a chance. For a band with such an amazing back catalog, they constantly avoid bringing out gems and unplayed songs, which most of their fanbase would love them for if they did.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Best:

Dream Theater: Look at their evening with tours evening to evening, nuff said really.

Alice In Chains: Always rotate songs and play lenghty shows, you get a show worth every penny.

Worst:

Kiss
Motorhead
Iron Maiden

All three of these bands seem incapable of taking risks with the setlists, Kiss and Motorhead being major offenders.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
We're dying on the inside

Best - Clutch - Different every night of the tour and by different I don't mean a core of fifteen songs with five that change, I mean they might do twenty songs one night and twenty different songs the next.
Worst - Iron Maiden - Seriously, grow a pair. If you do ANY song from the 80s with a very few exceptions, it's gonna go off great. Look at "Moonchild" from SBIT.

My two favorite bands though so whatev.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
N00B

Clutch and Metallica are good examples for touring bands to follow in this regard.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

With Maiden, it's like they think they're gonna get arrested if they play any other song from Piece of Mind than the Trooper on an album tour.

The best setlist I saw live was Megadeth. The worst was Slayer.