Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI- October 20, 2014
Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014

Old 02-27-2010, 06:52 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I definitely like it more than High On Fire.
Definitely

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed with how one-dimensional that turned out to be. I thought more of them than that.
It ain't one-dimensional man, its just that Pike's running out of riffs and tries to compensate by getting creative with the arrangements, which works in the sense that there are more dynamics in their sound now than ever before, hence why its anything but one-dimensional, cuz there's a good amount of melodic and rhythmic variation on Snakes. He's stretching it out with the vocals too incorporating that in with the more traditional songwriting style. But heavy rock sinks or swims on The Riff.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

^ yeah, but it's not like he isn't recycling old riffs either. I think the bassist having input on this album made a big difference with the songs too.
The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. It's not exactly a masterpiece but you can't ask for much more than what it is.
One thing I feel like I need to note is the riff in FFP at 2:26 is way more intense live, even by High on Fire standards, since I was one of the lucky few to hear it 6 months ago
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 PM
We're dying on the inside

Alright, two albums matter so far. New Overkill and new Johnny Cash. There's been other good stuff but these are the only two that will be anywhere near the top of the heap come December.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I know I'm probably the only one on here who was kinda disappointed by the Overkill. About half of the songs are incredible, but the other half I think just lacks a little bit. As of right now I'm not sure whether I like Mechanize or Ironbound more though, but we'll see.

I've never listened to Fear Factory until I bought Mechanize, so I don't know much about them. I've just heard a couple of their songs hear and there, but I think the album mostly sounds solid, but some of them aren't that great.

Plus I'm just making some predicitions, we got 10 more months too see what happens.
I take back what I said about Overkill lol...I gave it another listen and I'm enjoying it alot more now, definitely better than Fear Factory...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:32 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I take back what I said about Overkill lol...I gave it another listen and I'm enjoying it alot more now, definitely better than Fear Factory...

That's what I was hoping to hear.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
I definitely like it more than High On Fire. I was pretty disappointed with how one-dimensional that turned out to be. I thought more of them than that.
Give it some time to grow, man. I thought the same thing at first, but I'm really liking it more now. One piece of advice - listen with headphones. It really brings out the bass, which gives this album a lot of texture. There is more going on here than meets the ear at first listen (well, I can only speak for my own ears, but you know what I mean).
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
New Overkill and new Johnny Cash.
Both sounded limp to me, well Johnny cuz he was frail and dying, so it does give those recordings more of a vibe.

Most recent thing that came out this year that I've been stoked on is a comp called Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas put out by a record store in NY, amazing compilation of 60's/70's tropicalia psych jams that were mostly originally released as 45"s, comes with a great documentary too.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Both sounded limp to me, well Johnny cuz he was frail and dying, so it does give those recordings more of a vibe.

Most recent thing that came out this year that I've been stoked on is a comp called Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas put out by a record store in NY, amazing compilation of 60's/70's tropicalia psych jams that were mostly originally released as 45"s, comes with a great documentary too.
Sounds like you would absolutely love the local record store here.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I definitely didn't think they'd be up your alley, but I love 'em both.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

eh, the new overkill was pretty lacking if you ask me. although i cant justifiably call it a bad album, it just didnt click like their older ones did.

i know im a little late to this realization, but im prepared to admit thrash is dead and just move on.