Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
In Search of Truth

Anyone Missing Old School Traditional Metal In Their Life?

... Then seek no more, for I am about to blow your mind. I was recently turned onto a new band from California called White Wizzard, whose debut album, "Over the Top", is probably one of the most kickass "old school" metal albums I've heard in a long time. The style of this band can best be described as the instrumental stylings of classic Maiden (mainly Piece of Mind/Powerslave) mixed with the intensity and vocal stylings of late 80's Riot (Thundersteel era). I find it hard to imagine that anyone that loves 80s traditional heavy metal could not love this band. The production is good and the band sounds somewhat fresh and modern while still having that 100% classic metal sound.

Here's the opening and title track to the disc, if you like this, do yourself a favor and pick this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmR8zYMrOJE
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
We're dying on the inside

Yeah, this isn't bad. It sounds too crisp to be proper old school, that's my one complaint. I'll probably have to check this album out.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
... Then seek no more, for I am about to blow your mind. I was recently turned onto a new band from California called White Wizzard, whose debut album, "Over the Top", is probably one of the most kickass "old school" metal albums I've heard in a long time. The style of this band can best be described as the instrumental stylings of classic Maiden (mainly Piece of Mind/Powerslave) mixed with the intensity and vocal stylings of late 80's Riot (Thundersteel era). I find it hard to imagine that anyone that loves 80s traditional heavy metal could not love this band. The production is good and the band sounds somewhat fresh and modern while still having that 100% classic metal sound.

Here's the opening and title track to the disc, if you like this, do yourself a favor and pick this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmR8zYMrOJE
Sounds cool! My type of stuff!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Already aware of them. Not impressed just because they're basically a rip-off of countless other stuff. I want to hear something new.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Already aware of them. Not impressed just because they're basically a rip-off of countless other stuff. I want to hear something new.
...aaaaaand Ravenheart with the rebuttal.

I realize it's not the most original thing on the planet, but I seriously think metal is missing any good old school-style metal bands that play well, write catchy songs, and really seem to have fun. Also, the style is derivative, but I haven't caught any riffs or melodies obviously taken from or overly similar to other stuff, so I'm not upset.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I agree. But there's no reason why bands can't write original music that ticks those boxes, instead of riding along on the current wave of retro revival everyone seems to so keen on in music.

Wolf are already doing precisely this, and doing it better, heavier, and fresher.

Enforcer are getting a lot of e-blowjobs at the moment too. They're kinda fun live, but weak as fuck on record for me.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
We're dying on the inside

I'm just mad that the "retro metal" bands that are getting the blowjobs are the ones who polish the shit out of it. Give me The Gates of Slumber and Slough Feg a thousand times before another White Wizzard.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm just mad that the "retro metal" bands that are getting the blowjobs are the ones who polish the shit out of it. Give me The Gates of Slumber and Slough Feg a thousand times before another White Wizzard.
I can't stand music elitists that think raw production = good thing. I agree that sometimes overly glossy production doesn't fit the music, but keep in mind, like most other Maiden fans, you love Martin Birch's production on classic Maiden records, which for that time was about the glossiest, most polished thing around. By today's standards it practically still sounds that way. Criticizing modern traditional metal bands for fancy, polished production doesn't make sense.

Also, I'm not aware of any of the other "bands getting blow jobs". To my knowledge none of them are really blowing up or anything.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dCFX6oyOg :3?
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Says the guy who doesn't like Motorhead.