Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
This makes me so happy to know that people think LOG are so "tough" promoting violence and being redneck macho's. This video epitomizes stupidity on the stupid singer's part, what a useless waste of life.
Man, Henry Rollins is God.
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I don't really see how Rollins was being a douche. The kid was obviously a clueless poser who was in way over his head. Why would you want to waste your time talking to someone like that?
I agree - the kid was a clueless poser not worthy of the time of day.

BUT - why NOT just answer a few questions like a decent human being? I mean, I'm not saying Rollins had to be super friendly, the occasional off-hand sarcastic remark could've sufficed - but my point is that he didn't have to basically attack the kid. Being a scene kid is stupid, but it's not offensive.

I've had to talk to people and do mini-interviews through my band, and I've encountered people who don't know what they're talking about - but I was just content to give them what they wanted and leave it at that. I wasn't so caught up in trying to be an edgy badass that I needed to be a douche bag.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Eh, I'm not sure that Black Flag ever said "We're punk," they just did it. Hell, they helped invent that whole subculture. I mean, it's not like one day they were writing stuff like "Nervous Breakdown" and turned into a technical metal band overnight. Their "metal" stuff isn't really that metal, it's just slower and sludgier.
Traditionalist Asshole

Ok, now it's time for the real Rollins loyalty test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgkKBQj5ntQ
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

BUT - why NOT just answer a few questions like a decent human being? I mean, I'm not saying Rollins had to be super friendly, the occasional off-hand sarcastic remark could've sufficed - but my point is that he didn't have to basically attack the kid. Being a scene kid is stupid, but it's not offensive.
kind of off-topic, but I bet Monotheist-era Tom G. Warrior would be the scariest person to interview ever.
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I'm not knocking any artists right to evolve, but when they first come around, they should do so without pretense. Don't even go around yelling "we're not like those corporate bands," people can figure that out on their own by listening to their music. Really, if all you do is run around telling people how (insert musical adjective here) you are, and you deviate from that sound, you get exactly what's coming to you.
I can dig. Black Flag was pure spirit though, and sometimes pure spirit manifests itself in irrationality, especially when you're a group of pissed off teenagers with something to say. Looking back I don't think they would do anything differently, but I think they would agree that it would've been best to just let the music do the talking, and really that goes for all musicians and artists.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

I've had to talk to people and do mini-interviews through my band, and I've encountered people who don't know what they're talking about - but I was just content to give them what they wanted and leave it at that. I wasn't so caught up in trying to be an edgy badass that I needed to be a douche bag.
That's because "punks" like to think they're so cool by being "rebels" and doing everything the way society doesn't endorse, leaving them in a total false, ignoramus view of themselves and society as a whole.

In other words, punks make me lol.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

BTW, I definitely don't condone him physically beating up fans like in that other video. He went through a phase of obnoxious violent machismo, but he grew up eventually.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Ok, now it's time for the real Rollins loyalty test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgkKBQj5ntQ
Honestly, I laughed at that video. I think if I heard him really let loose about how he truly feels about the band and their music, it would make me irate, but I thought that specific bit was pretty funny, and not really offensive to Maiden fans, even if it was kind of intended to be.

And he has Bruce's 80's interview attitude (and accent) down to a T.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
That's because "punks" like to think they're so cool by being "rebels" and doing everything the way society doesn't endorse, leaving them in a total false, ignoramus view of themselves and society as a whole.
That is a non sequitur, among other things.