Blue, by a mile! 3 20.00%
Blue, by a narrow margin. 4 26.67%
I am a wussy - please don't make me pick one! 2 13.33%
Red, by a narrow margin. 5 33.33%
Red, by a mile! 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
N00B

With what little time has passed Red Album is still my preference, Blue has not held my interest.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I'm sorry, but it's just the gayest goddamn riff I've ever heard. That riff sounds like it belongs in a fashion commerical, not on an album, hence why I posted the Gap Commercial. In fact dare I say the song would be much better if they just chopped that part off.
if you want to criticize that song how about we discuss that horrible out of place solo in the later part of it. that for me is what killed the song. the song was going along fine and then this downtuned solo comes out of nowhere, one of the worst transitions i can think of outside of "immigrant song" imo.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Honestly, I don't know what people are talking about when they mention all the 'great songs' on the Red Album. I think the best tracks on it are the instrumentals ("Aleph" and "Grad" in particular). I think half of it kinda sucks, to be honest. Whereas I think most of the Blue Record is genius. So much more and better use of counterpoint, the lead guitar tone is the most badass I've ever heard, the vocal melodies are better, the structures are cooler... it's not much of a contest for me.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

^ The first 3 are about as strong of an opening as you can have for any album, but for me the thing is that the Red Album works best as a single work. Blue Record has a great continuity and flow, but Red is a 45 minute experience as opposed to 45 minutes of songs that link together.
I've heard Blue enough times that I can actually compare the two now, and the songs are well constructed and powerful, but I still prefer Red.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Honestly, I don't know what people are talking about when they mention all the 'great songs' on the Red Album. I think the best tracks on it are the instrumentals ("Aleph" and "Grad" in particular). I think half of it kinda sucks, to be honest. Whereas I think most of the Blue Record is genius. So much more and better use of counterpoint, the lead guitar tone is the most badass I've ever heard, the vocal melodies are better, the structures are cooler... it's not much of a contest for me.
Aleph is good, Grad is kinda boring.

Personally, I think the people who are whining that the Red Album is better are just butthurt that their little secret is "famous" now.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
the lead guitar tone is the most badass I've ever heard, the vocal melodies are better
Know how I know you're old and square?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Aleph is good, Grad is kinda boring.

Personally, I think the people who are whining that the Red Album is better are just butthurt that their little secret is "famous" now.
Nah, its just that apart from the Bullhead theme, guitar harmony in Sweetest Curse, the first riff in Horse Called Golgotha, and the beginning/buildup of The Gnashing there aren't any parts that make me go "wow" like the main riff in Isak, the mellow break in Wanderlust, the middle to end of Birthing, all of Aleph and Teeth of a Cogwheel, the chord progression in the verse riff of O'Appalachia, that bluesy lick in Wailing Wintry Wind, shit like that. Hella transcendent moments on the Red, not so many on the Blue, which is an album more focused on the songs rather than the whole record.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Know how I know you're old and square?
Know how I know you're gay? Because you just macraméed yourself a pair of jean shorts.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-01-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Know how I know you're gay? Because you just macraméed yourself a pair of jean shorts.
Good movie