Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
D.B.B.

I love how every Maiden thread gets turned into an argument where people complain about Maiden33's "bitching". He speaks the truth people, two weeks is too little of a time frame to record what might possibly the last Maiden record.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I agree with the sentiment that quick recording is less worrying than quick writing.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Regretting my username

The biggest question is: if they are done recording, why do we have to wait so long to get it? Mix that shit in a month, get the album art done in that time...you dont have to advertise TOO much because you are Iron Fucking Maiden. I say out by June.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
I love how every Maiden thread gets turned into an argument where people complain about Maiden33's "bitching". He speaks the truth people, two weeks is too little of a time frame to record what might possibly the last Maiden record.
Thanks, dude.

Regarding release: If they are done recording now, there is absolutely no reason why this can't be out by the end of the summer, if not sooner.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Mostly in that the performances (mainly Bruce's) sounded mediocre.
Really? I thought the vocals were a huge improvement over Dance of Death.

The whole recording timeline vs. release date is rather interesting though. Somewhat related: I was reading the Wikipedia article on The Clash's London Calling album, and it says they finished recording it in November of '79 and released it the next month. And they released an album the year before that AND the year after (keep in mind that London Calling was a double album, and the one that came after was a triple album). That's absolutely unheard of now. I really don't know why that is, but I suspect that marketing and the record labels play a key role.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Really? I thought the vocals were a huge improvement over Dance of Death.

The whole recording timeline vs. release date is rather interesting though. Somewhat related: I was reading the Wikipedia article on The Clash's London Calling album, and it says they finished recording it in November of '79 and released it the next month. And they released an album the year before that AND the year after (keep in mind that London Calling was a double album, and the one that came after was a triple album). That's absolutely unheard of now. I really don't know why that is, but I suspect that marketing and the record labels play a key role.
Well, two things:

1) I didn't say I thought the vocals on Dance of Death sounded all that great either. My big point is: listen to either album and then listen to Tyranny of Souls. Vocals are about 15x better.

2) Something to keep in mind about recording albums 30 years ago is the fact that technology was a fraction of as advanced as it is now. It's easy to not go overboard with all kinds of digital tricks and nuances when you can't. When bands were recording on analog back in the 70's, there wasn't a whole lot you could do to suck up time. It was just go in, get it done. Now you can spend an infinite amount of time tweaking things.

Also, I'm not sure the Clash are the best example. Not a knock on them at all, but not exactly a band who would/should take a long time to make an album. How much is there really to do? Their music isn't a) terribly complex, or b) feature a lot of instrumental overdubs, complex vocal harmonies, and other sorts of stuff that takes a long time to do in the studio.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Well, two things:

1) I didn't say I thought the vocals on Dance of Death sounded all that great either. My big point is: listen to either album and then listen to Tyranny of Souls. Vocals are about 15x better.

2) Something to keep in mind about recording albums 30 years ago is the fact that technology was a fraction of as advanced as it is now. It's easy to not go overboard with all kinds of digital tricks and nuances when you can't. When bands were recording on analog back in the 70's, there wasn't a whole lot you could do to suck up time. It was just go in, get it done. Now you can spend an infinite amount of time tweaking things.

Also, I'm not sure the Clash are the best example. Not a knock on them at all, but not exactly a band who would/should take a long time to make an album. How much is there really to do? Their music isn't a) terribly complex, or b) feature a lot of instrumental overdubs, complex vocal harmonies, and other sorts of stuff that takes a long time to do in the studio.
Methinks you haven't heard London Calling or Sandinista. Those are both way more complex than a Maiden album.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Methinks you haven't heard London Calling or Sandinista. Those are both way more complex than a Maiden album.
I kinda doubt it, but I'm not talking about Maiden necessarily. Maiden can't even touch a lot of other bands I listen to in terms of instrumental performance and recording. Maiden would hear the amount of guitar tracks on a Dungeon record and shit themselves. That second point was more of a broad point, not specific to Maiden.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
My big point is: listen to either album and then listen to Tyranny of Souls. Vocals are about 15x better.
That's definitely true.

Quote:

Not true. London Calling and their later albums featured a ton of different instruments, including strings, horns, pianos, and some electronic experimentation towards the end of their run. That, and London Calling had 19 tracks, and Sandinista! had 36 (all of which were average length, not 1-2 minutes).
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Concert Veteran

Just to add to the whole timeline of recording thing. Black Sabbath recorded their first album in 6 hours. In know it was 40 years ago and things were different then but it proves that it is possible to record a great album in a short period of time.

Another thing is some are acting like they know every move Maiden has been making in this whole recording process. They were probably recording for much longer than they actually reported they were doing. Thus, the reason some are thinking they've only been reording for two weeks. Maiden has been done touring for what, almost a year now? They've probably been in the studio a lot longer than the two weeks everyone is thinking.

Even if it did take only two weeks to record what's the big deal? Besides most of FOTD and some questionable material on NPFTD and Virtual XI has Maiden really ever given their fans a reason to doubt they don't know what they're doing?