It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Dream Set Lists

Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
What about guitar players/singers?
Enh, Kai Hansen is a singer/guitar player combo. If your talking about acknowledging those because of how difficult it is to play guitar and sing at the same time, then sorry, but I'm not interested. To me the voice should speak for itself. I almost added Dave Mustaine in the singer section, but...I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I don't know about that. Kai has never come off as operatic to me. I mean, aside from him doing his occasional bombastic choir bits (see: middle of Valley of the Kings). I don't think he's remotely close to some other guys as far as classical training in metal vocalists goes. See: Khan (Kamelot) and Harry Conklin (Jag Panzer).
The utter irony in this is that you listen to the Gamma Ray ballads way more than I do so you should be able to understand what I'm talking about. Go back and listen to Shine On and pay attention to that piano section near the end. That just might be his finest moment.

Last edited by JRA; 02-11-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
The utter irony in this is that you listen to the Gamma Ray ballads way more than I do so you should be able to understand what I'm talking about. Go back and listen to Shine On and pay attention to that piano section near the end. That just might be his finest moment.
Oh yeah, that. Also heard in "The Silence", "Heal Me", and select other songs. I see what you mean, but still, that's such a very small facet to his vocal style that I don't find it a dominant quality.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Phil Anselmo (Pre-Vulgar Display)
WTF? Not that im trying to split hairs, but how do you justify this? PanterA are my favorite band and, well, this feels blasphemous.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

As far as Singer/instrumentalists go:

James Hetfield (MetallicA)
Dave Mustaine (MegadetH)
Freddie Mercury (Queen, for his piano work in the band)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Matt Heafy (Trivium) Save it.
Also, the vocalist from Akercocke is awesome, but I can never remember the guys name..
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yep.

I also think half the vocalists mentioned aren't "singers". If you don't sing notes, you're not a singer. I don't mean to pull a "durr I'm closeminded and hate growling", but I just wish to make the distinction that growling/screaming is vocals, not literally singing.
Teeeeeeeechnically all growlers are singing notes and there is sometimes even a distinct melody to them as well, it's just that the timbre is incredibly warped. I would consider it a form of singing; just that much like the way thrash metal singing is more abrasive than power metal singing, death metal is only much more abrasive than that...

(of course this really only applies to about 1/3 of death vocals, because a large amount of the time it really is someone just screaming at the top of their lungs without much regard to anything else )
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Alot of people think Bruce or Rob bring "opera" to metal, but I feel like Kai is literally a classically trained mezzo-soprano singer given to us by the metal gods to add some "sophistication" to heavy metal. It's pretty hilarious considering that on Walls of Jericho he sounds like a box of smashed assholes. Who knew that 10 plus years of NOT singing would make your vocal abilities grow exponentially?
I actually love Kai's "box of smashed assholes" voice. It's not that great, and he definitely got better. But something about the way it fits Walls of Jericho is fucking awesome.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
What about guitar players/singers?

Matt Pike
Devin Townsend
Josh Homme
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
There's a handful of guys who I really love and respect for their versatility and songwriting and singing in different ways and playing a mean guitar. That list is Mikael Åkerfeldt, Devin Townsend, and Neige. Hard to say who my favorite singers and guitarists are individually, but those three dudes are hard not to be awestruck by.
The best. All three can sing cleanly extremely well or do their variation on "extreme vocals" (death metal for Åkerfeldt, thrash-ish for Devy, and black metal for Neige), and can play the shit out of their instruments.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 02-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I actually love Kai's "box of smashed assholes" voice. It's not that great, and he definitely got better. But something about the way it fits Walls of Jericho is fucking awesome.
Oh, it totally fit that album perfectly, but was he the vocalist of the year? Fuck no.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
WTF? Not that im trying to split hairs, but how do you justify this? PanterA are my favorite band and, well, this feels blasphemous.
I just prefer his falsetto/old school metal voice as opposed to him trying to sound as gruff as possible.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Guitarists
Jari Mäenpää - Wintersun
Michael Romeo - Symphony X
Tim Millar / Luke Hoskin - Protest The Hero
Antti Kokko - Kalmah

Vocalists
Russel Allen - Symphony X
Jari Mäenpää - Wintersun
Jonathan Davis - Korn
Trevor Strnad - Black Dahlia Murder
Stu Block - Into Eternity
Mikael Stanne - Dark Tranquillity
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Concert Veteran

I did my singers yesterday so i'll do my guitarist now. But unlike with the singers I don't feel like listing reasons for my choices.

Tony Iommi- Black Sabbath
Alex Lifeson- Rush
Dave Mustaine- Megadeth
John Petrucci- Dream Theater
Dave Murray/Adrian Smith/Janick Gers- Iron Maiden
James Hetfeild- Metallica
Scott Ian- Anthrax
John Schaffer- Iced Earth
Dimebag Darrel- Pantera
Jeff Loomis- Nevermore

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 02-12-2010 at 07:05 PM.