Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I think clean vocals completely kill "heavy" music. I'm totally fine and it's awesome for bands like Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, etc.

But other than that? I dunno, man.
That's cool, I guess it just depends on what kind of metal got someone into the genre. But to me clean vocals, like Dickinson, is what metal has always been about. The list of great singers this genre has had is second to none. With the screaming and shit anyone can go in and do that. You don't even have to know anything about vocals in order to pull it off. But to be able to do what the likes of Dickinson, Dio, Halford and yes even Rob Flynn from Machine Head do, even though Flynn isn't an elite voaclist does take talent. But the screaming deffinately doesn't as far as i'm conserned.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 02-11-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
That's cool, I guess it just depends on what kind of metal got someone into the genre. But to me clean vocals, like Dickinson, is what metal has always been about. The list of great singers this genre has had is second to none. With the screaming and shit anyone can go in and do that. You don't even have to know anything about vocals in order to pull it off. But to be able to do what the likes of Dickinson, Dio, Halford and yes even Neil Flynn from Machine Head do, even though Flynn isn't an elite voaclist does take talent. But the screaming deffinately doesn't as far as i'm conserned.
Never really thought of that before! My first bands were black metal and grindcore so yeah, that might have something to do with it.

Can you recommend some Machine Head that I might like?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Never really thought of that before! My first bands were black metal and grindcore so yeah, that might have something to do with it.

Can you recommend some Machine Head that I might like?
Their best albums are, The Blackening, Through The Ashes Of Empires and Burn My Eyes. If I were to pick one i'd say start with The Blackening. But wahtever you do don't listen to anything from The Burning Red or Supercharger. For some reason they decided to go rap metal on those two and it was just horrible.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Their best albums are, The Blackening, Through The Ashes Of Empires and Burn My Eyes. If I were to pick one i'd say start with The Blackening. But wahtever you do don't listen to anything from The Burning Red or Supercharger. For some reason they decided to go rap metal on those two and it was just horrible.
I have heard the song "From This Day" or whatever it's called from The Burning Red. It's amazing
Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Visualize perfection

Quote:
That's cool, I guess it just depends on what kind of metal got someone into the genre. But to me clean vocals, like Dickinson, is what metal has always been about. The list of great singers this genre has had is second to none. With the screaming and shit anyone can go in and do that. You don't even have to know anything about vocals in order to pull it off. But to be able to do what the likes of Dickinson, Dio, Halford and yes even Rob Flynn from Machine Head do, even though Flynn isn't an elite voaclist does take talent. But the screaming deffinately doesn't as far as i'm conserned.
Not anyone can go in a scream. It's actually hard. I've been trying for years and I can do it pretty well, but not very loud, and after a few minutes I can't do it at all. My cousin got a DVD that taught him how to do it and he is getting really good at it.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
I think clean vocals completely kill "heavy" music. I'm totally fine and it's awesome for bands like Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, etc.

But other than that? I dunno, man.
Are you saying you don't like when "extreme" and clean vocals both pop up in the same band? Because there's times that that sucks in a very melodic metalcore kind of way, but there's also times that it's awesome. Mastodon used to just shout, now they mainly sing. Opeth and My Dying Bride have been having clean/death vocals in the same song for years, etc. I think there's times it works and times it doesn't.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fires Of Sedition View Post
Not anyone can go in a scream. It's actually hard. I've been trying for years and I can do it pretty well, but not very loud, and after a few minutes I can't do it at all. My cousin got a DVD that taught him how to do it and he is getting really good at it.
I don't doubt it takes some talent to do it well but a lot of the "singers" who i've heard do it don't sound like they've never done any training at all. Corey Taylor used to scream like a mutherfucker on the first two Slipknot albums but i've never once thought he had been trained at all. Maybe that's the secret behind that vocal style, to sound like you don't know what you're doing when you really do. Who knows?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Are you saying you don't like when "extreme" and clean vocals both pop up in the same band? Because there's times that that sucks in a very melodic metalcore kind of way, but there's also times that it's awesome. Mastodon used to just shout, now they mainly sing. Opeth and My Dying Bride have been having clean/death vocals in the same song for years, etc. I think there's times it works and times it doesn't.
Yeah, pretty much. Some bands (you named a few) can pull it off, but in my opinion, most can't.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Visualize perfection

Quote:
I don't doubt it takes some talent to do it well but a lot of the "singers" who i've heard do it don't sound like they've never done any training at all. Corey Taylor used to scream like a mutherfucker on the first two Slipknot albums but i've never once thought he had been trained at all. Maybe that's the secret behind that vocal style, to sound like you don't know what you're doing when you really do. Who knows?
I'm pretty sure Corey Taylor did it wrong, which is why he sucks ass at it now. This DVD has a professional who taught people like Brian Fair and Randy Bylthe etc. how to do it right as to not fuck up their voices.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fires Of Sedition View Post
I'm pretty sure Corey Taylor did it wrong, which is why he sucks ass at it now. This DVD has a professional who taught people like Brian Fair and Randy Bylthe etc. how to do it right as to not fuck up their voices.
I think it's fucking hilarious that Chuck Schuldiner, Quorthon, Chris Barnes, etc. just decided to invent screaming/growling and didn't know what they were doing and managed to have all kinds of longevity, but all these metalcore faggot singers had to use Melissa Cross to learn how to sing properly. If you were metal, YOU WOULDN'T FUCKING CARE! YOU WOULD JUST SCREAM! Pussies.

Tags
machine head