Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
N00B

Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
NWA blows. Most overrated hip hop act ever.
Quote:
You forgot to add Eazy-E was the least talented MC to ever end up on mall-posters, T-shirts, wall rugs, whatever other merchandize he has plagued.
I don't remember seeing a whole lot of posters or any other kind of merchandise out there with N.W.A. written on it - I don't know what you're talking about. Also, chances are, you're judging a group that had their peak success some time when you were a toddler, by either today's standards, or just personal bias. Either way, you really had to be around when they were blowing up to get the full picture of the effect they actually had on rap music and hip hop culture in general.

They were the original gangsters - literally. They came up from the streets of Compton - literally one of the most crime-ridden areas in America at the time - slinging dope and carrying guns because that what you did where they came from. They rapped about it without shame or without pulling punches, and educated white middle-class America that there was a war on in the ghetto...a war against poverty, injustice, hopelessness, etc. I'm not saying they were victims or heroes, or that they weren't morally in the wrong for selling drugs to kids or moms or whoever they were selling them to - and neither did the dudes in the group make any such claims. They just told about their experiences in a way that was raw, uncut and real.

In their short-lived career as a rap group, they made more money than almost every other rap group that had come before them - and as further evidence of their skills as artists, several of them went on to have successful solo careers as well (Ice Cube, Dr. Dre). They also got into other endeavors as well - Dre is a very successful producer (Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 50 Cent), and Cube is actually a pretty decent actor (Trespass, Boyz-N-Tha-Hood, New Jack City, Friday, Barbershop, was first in line to play B.A. Baracus in the new A-Team movie before they hired Rampage Jackson, etc.).

Overrated? Says you, but I doubt you really know the full story of what you are criticizing, so I find it hard to take your opinion very seriously. Whether you like their music or not - or have just read too much of other people's opinions online and decided to agree with the naysayers just for the sake of being contradictory (which is a cheap equivalent for "cool" to so many folks out there these days), you can't deny N.W.A.'S influence on rap music and hip hop culture. You just can't - no matter how negative you choose to be.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-11-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I don't remember seeing a whole lot of posters or any other kind of merchandise out there with N.W.A. written on it - I don't know what you're talking about. Also, chances are, you're judging a group that had their peak success some time when you were a toddler, by either today's standards, or just personal bias.
Wrong, walk into any Hot Topic or band T-shirt store and you will see at least one Eazy-E shirt. Addendum: That would fine and all if there were also Nas, Rakim, Tribe Called Quest etc. shirts, but their aren't.

and I always thought the original gangsters were Ice-T, KRS-One, and Kool G Rap. I'm also not knocking the solo careers of Ice Cube and Dr. Dre. I've heard from quite a few people that their solo careers had way more artistic merit than NWA did.

Last edited by JRA; 02-11-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Wrong, walk into any Hot Topic or band T-shirt store and you will see at least one Eazy-E shirt.
I hate to admit it, but you're right.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 AM

True that may be. I don't go to Hot Topic. So somebody far removed from the group themselves is cashing in twenty years later, based on their success - I don't see how that detracts from what they did back then.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
True that may be. I don't go to Hot Topic. So somebody far removed from the group themselves is cashing in twenty years later, based on their success - I don't see how that detracts from what they did back then.
It's not a matter of cashing in on your success. It's the fact that to idiot tweens, the artists you see on posters and T-shirts at the mall are the ones that matter. and you usually see more Eazy-E T-Shirts than any of the artists I've already mentioned above, including NWA for that matter, and the guy had practically no skills at MCing whatsoever. The only think he did have was some old incriminating photos of Dr. Dre. That was the only way he ever won any sort of battle. The fact that any majority in hip hop fandom remembers him at all is an outrage to the art.

To quote Dr. Dre himself "Eazy- E can eat a big fat dick."
Old 02-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
It's not a matter of cashing in on your success. It's the fact that to idiot tweens, the artists you see on posters and T-shirts at the mall are the ones that matter. and you usually see more Eazy-E T-Shirts than any of the artists I've already mentioned above, including NWA for that matter, and the guy had practically no skills at MCing whatsoever. The only think he did have was some old incriminating photos of Dr. Dre. That was the only way he ever won any sort of battle. The fact that any majority in hip hop fandom remembers him at all is an outrage to the art.

To quote Dr. Dre himself "Eazy- E can eat a big fat dick."
Fine. Eazy-E was a prick. My original point was that N.W.A. rules, and that's still da troof. Word to yo muthah.

EDIT: Music groups can still rule and be considered influential, even if they have dickhead mouthpieces. Or aren't you a Megadeth fan anymore?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

So much b33f with NWA!
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
So much b33f with NWA!
Speaking of b33f:

"To you it may be funny, but
There's no service of BEEF, without money
So slip me the C-note, and you can choke
On a wing-ding-ding-a-ling down your throat

Foreplay; to me ain't shit
When you spread 'em I'm ready, then you can get the dick
Of the Eaze, if you can deal with the size
But if you can't, parental discretion's advised!"