Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
RID is decent but the comments underneath are a total joke
Without reading them, how do comments on a video effect your opinion of a song?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
What does it reveal about your tastes if you think both songs suck old man balls?
it says that when pressed to choose between classical and punk sensiblities, you choose neither.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Rebellion in Dreamland is one of my favorite Gamma Ray songs, versus Blinded by Fear, which is a good song but one of my least favorite ATG songs.

Rebelllion, definitely.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
Rebellion in Dreamland is one of my favorite Gamma Ray songs, versus Blinded by Fear, which is a good song but one of my least favorite ATG songs.
Somebody in At The Gates didn't like BBF either. Can't remember who it was.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Blinded By Fear. I don't like Gamma Ray, or most Power Metal for that matter. Therefore if you put almost any song against a Power Metal song it would win in my books. Of course this is totally subjective, but it is my opinion..
Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

See, when ADD did Freebird vs. Stairway, I thought he was just going "hay guys which one of these grtz gtr solo songs is btter?"

but then he posted this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
So lemme break it down for yall. If you chose Stairway you may tend to value in your rock: neoclassicism, non-standard time signatures, metaphorical lyrics, tenor/falsetto vocals, a sense of mystery and fantasy. If you chose Freebird you may tend to value in your rock: the blues, strong rhythm, visceral lyrics, baritone/mid-to-lower range vocals, a sense of nature relating to both urban and rural landscapes.
...which blew my mind. This was a really inspiring look at what music sensibilities we stick by when push come to shove. So when he did the metal test, I was so excited to see what he was gonna throw at us, only to be let down by another gay ass Megadeth vs. Metallica thread. I thought "fuck that, I could do way better." I actually agonized for 15 minutes in bed because I was trying to go to sleep and think of my choices at the same time.

The two choices I wanted were this: Choice one would essentially have more punk sensibility, choosing to sing about emotions and real issues, barking/screaming vocals for brutality, not so much focused on technical ability as much playing from the soul, and the songs were just short enough to give you just what you needed and then disappear in a flash.

The second choice would be to have more "true-metal (or neoclassical, I guess)" sensibilities, choosing to sing about more fantasy oriented lyrics than anything else, the consideration of technical ability being just as important as songwriting, not afraid to stack extra instrumental sections in their songs, and favoring vocalists who actually sing.

I didn't want to do 70's or 80's comparisons because I thought that would be too easy. So when I went for the 90's, I figured the songs that fit each description best were Blinded By Fear and Rebellion In Dreamland.

The more I think about it, maybe I should have done an 80's comparison instead (SOD vs. Helloween?), but at least I have my reasons.

Last edited by JRA; 02-10-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Without reading them, how do comments on a video effect your opinion of a song?
If you read them you wouldnt have had to ask. I word... Rayniacs
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
See, when ADD did Freebird vs. Stairway, I thought he was just going "hay guys which one of these grtz gtr solo songs is btter?"

but then he posted this...

...which blew my mind. This was a really inspiring look at what music sensibilities we stick by when push come to shove. So when he did the metal test, I was so excited to see what he was gonna throw at us, only to be let down by another gay ass Megadeth vs. Metallica thread. I thought "fuck that, I could do way better." I actually agonized for 15 minutes in bed because I was trying to go to sleep and think of my choices at the same time.

The two choices I wanted were this: Choice one would essentially have more punk sensibility, choosing to sing about emotions and real issues, barking/screaming vocals for brutality, not so much focused on technical ability as much playing from the soul, and the songs were just short enough to give you just what you needed and then disappear in a flash.

The second choice would be to have more "true-metal (or neoclassical, I guess)" sensibilities, choosing to sing about more fantasy oriented lyrics than anything else, the consideration of technical ability being just as important as songwriting, not afraid to stack extra instrumental sections in their songs, and favoring vocalists who actually sing.

I didn't want to do 70's or 80's comparisons because I thought that would be too easy. So when I went for the 90's, I figured the songs that fit each description best were Blinded By Fear and Rebellion In Dreamland.

The more I think about it, maybe I should have done an 80's comparison instead (SOD vs. Helloween?), but at least I have my reasons.
I feel like Stairway and Free Bird are similar enough and discussed in the same context enough and are from early enough on in rock history that it made sense. Not totally sure about this one.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I agree with the sensibilities, but with this kind of comparison, you would have been better with an eighties selection, as those songs would be more appealing across the board. As I said, I dislike Power Metal, but I like Helloween alot more than Gamma Ray, so the comparison would be alot more fair if you chose your song from keeper of the 7 keys for the neo-classical sensibilities, then chose, say, Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer for the punk sensuibilities. This is just off tyhe top of my head but I think you get my point.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Rebellion in Dreamland for me.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac