Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I didn't go to this show but I just wanted to comment on the current Jaxx situation.

Ever since the first time I saw a show at Jaxx (Candlemass in May 08) it has been my favorite club-sized venue. The staff, in my experience, is always relaxed and the rules are lax too, you can get right next to the bands because of the lack of photo pit and the super small and low stage, parking is free, and you don't have to deal with all the hassles of going into the city. Not to mention it's pretty easy to meet the bands there if you want to.

Unfortunately, all I've heard is bad things about the club since the renovation. I haven't been there since last May so I haven't seen it for myself yet. I have heard that the club looks dreadful now (something about it being all orange?), they've apparently stepped up the rules, and it just seems like the owners want to distance themselves from heavy metal in general. Something tells me this latin thing will be the death of the club as a metal venue. They've been on a decline for awhile now anyways IMO. They keep missing a bunch of good shows (ones that would fit the club perfectly). The upcoming Mayhem show is a perfect example, how the hell did the biggest hipster club in the DC-Baltimore area end up getting a legendary black metal band but Jaxx didn't?
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
N00B

When did they remodel and what did they do? I havent been there since early last year, but the drinking section has always been like that.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Headbanger

The entire place looks like a mexican restaurant. It's all orange and green. When I went there for Testament (the 1st time) I carried my beers right onto the floor and no one stopped me. After drinking a few I had a guy tell me you couldn't drink down there but I went and got another and walked right down there. They are scared to death of the pit there. You could literally be fucking a girl in the pit and they wouldn't stop you. Everything you can't do upstairs you can do in the pit because they're literally scaared to go down there from what I saw. I saw tons of people taking video of Devildriver in the pit but someone taking still pics up top was told to stop. Just stupid shit.

I totally agree it's the best place to meet bands but it's because they allow smoking in the club. Half of Goatwhore and all of TWBD were in the smoking area the entire night. Towards the end it was a fog of smoke just to get through there. Still worth it but annoying that they don't have a better venelation system. I'll probably miss it when it's gone but if it's still here this time next year I'll be shocked.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
The entire place looks like a mexican restaurant. It's all orange and green.
Hey... orange and green is, uh, metal?

Quote:
When I went there for Testament (the 1st time) I carried my beers right onto the floor and no one stopped me. After drinking a few I had a guy tell me you couldn't drink down there but I went and got another and walked right down there. They are scared to death of the pit there. You could literally be fucking a girl in the pit and they wouldn't stop you. Everything you can't do upstairs you can do in the pit because they're literally scared to go down there from what I saw.
So... what you're saying is that security likes to bitch, but that they don't actually do anything about it. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

I've seen Thy Will Be Done 4 times. They are pretty good and really cool dudes. On the topic of it being their tour it is not. They did Thrash and Burn over the summer and they have toured with Hatebreed and a couple of other bands.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyck View Post
Hey... orange and green is, uh, metal?

So... what you're saying is that security likes to bitch, but that they don't actually do anything about it. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
I have been going to Jaxx since i was 16 and have been there atleast 30+ times and the security there loves to bitch. None of them are intimidating or ever do anything. I think i have seen 2 people thrown out of that place ever and they was hardcore kids fist fighting and 1 of them got back in later. They have never let beer on the floor but I always slipped through and they just told me to finish it or go back up, never any trouble though. I giuess I will see the new Jaxx at the Kreator and Overkill shows. I wish there was a venue in Richmond that the metal tour jaxx gets.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
That Does Not Make Sense!

Quote:
Oh maybe it was the guitarist Chris' 1st tour then. He said he wasn't on the 1st cd. Dude shreds though. I enjoyed his solos as much as anyones that night.

I met the owner and talked with him for a little bit. He's the Rod Stewart looking guy. He said it's become a latin club with metal shows basically, if I heard him right. Normally when a club does that it's the beginning of the end.... aka Thunderdome.

What sucks is how they treat the over 21 crowd. Having to only stand in that little area in the back to drink is idiotic. He said it's so people don't give drinks to underage kids but with so many drink nazis there why not just police it like other clubs do?

The sound there is good but other than that it's one of the worst places I've ever watched a show. In reality the concert hall isn't much bigger than Ottobar.
once the main headlining band gets on, the stage is actually quite large imo. when i saw heathenfest, Eluveitie there, they had no problems moving around and what not, and thats 8 members
Old 01-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Headbanger

Yeah I had fake id when I was 16 years old so I've never NOT drank at a show unless you count Rush opening for Kiss when I was 10. Concerts are a place to unwind and go apeshit for me. Penalizing people for paying $4.50 for a beer is horrific business. I'll be at Overkill with this chick thats interviewing Blitz for a local cable access show so Jaxx will get my cash a few more times but I still think it's an idiotic set up and will be closed this time next year.

Megadeth, Testament and Exodus at Rams Head = WIN!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
That Does Not Make Sense!

Quote:
Yeah I had fake id when I was 16 years old so I've never NOT drank at a show unless you count Rush opening for Kiss when I was 10. Concerts are a place to unwind and go apeshit for me. Penalizing people for paying $4.50 for a beer is horrific business. I'll be at Overkill with this chick thats interviewing Blitz for a local cable access show so Jaxx will get my cash a few more times but I still think it's an idiotic set up and will be closed this time next year.

Megadeth, Testament and Exodus at Rams Head = WIN!
DEP, Darkest Hour and IWABO at the Ottobar = BIGGER WIN!

you still goin to Shadows Fall next week? i will def be gthere
Old 01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chewbacca defense View Post
DEP, Darkest Hour and IWABO at the Ottobar = BIGGER WIN!

you still goin to Shadows Fall next week? i will def be gthere
Yeah I'll be there. I was thinking about checking out that Ottobar show and BTBAM show now too. It's so cool to have options. Just sucks teh BTBAM show is a Monday night.

Tags
goatwhore