Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Nile -- New York, NY -- January 18th, 2010

Krisiun
1. Kings Of Killing
2. Combustion Inferno
3. Vicious Wrath
4. Vengeance's Revelation
5. Sentenced Morning
6. Hatred Inherit

Immolation
1. Passion Kill
2. Swarm Of Terror
3. Den Of Thieves
4. Father You're Not A Father
5. The Purge
6. Burial Ground
7. World Agony

Nile
1. Kafir!
2. Sacrifice Unto Sebek
3. Hitite Dung Incantation
4. Serpent Headed Mask
5. Ithyphalic
5. Execution Text
6. Papyrus Containing The Spell To Protect It's Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water
7. 4th Arra Of Dragon
8. Permitting The Noble Dead To Descend Into The Underworld
9. Sarcophagus
10. Lashed To The Slave Stick
11. Black Seeds Of Vengeance

After anticipating this show for months, it finally came and holy shit did it come. Evey single band was to the bare minimum enjoyable and talented. Regardless of what I thought of their music, I enjoyed their music and they put on a great live show. A tour I highly recommend you attend, if you don't plan to already. For any death metal fan, this is a brutal show with blast beats a-joy. But onwards to the beginning:

Everything for the most part went very smoothly: picked up my friend, drove to the station, got there a half hour earlier due to holiday schedule mishaps, and got to the city. Walked to the Gramercy from Penn Station, and just waited on line for about an hour and a half. Nothing too inspiring. Sometime in the middle of waiting, we went to see if we could get tickets, so we saw this middle-aged lady standing inside the venue. It was locked, and we kept on trying to open the door and she looked at us like we were on drugs. She kindly opened the door though and asked what we wanted, and after telling her she said that the box office would open later, but she was just waiting there to help put in equipment. We then asked her if she could reserve us a spot on the barricade, as a joke of course. She laughed and said she couldn't do that. We then finalized in asking her is she could get us to meet Nile and the crew, in which she said she had no control but she would love to. She seemingly joked at me and said that she would tell Karl Sanders to look for the guy with the dark-red bandanna (me ), and we just laughed and then went back to our position in line. Didn't really think twice of it.

So we got in around 7, pretty much on time. Me and my friend did the normal procedure and rushed to the barricade, luckily squeezing into two spots right in the center area. Once we had our position solidified, my friend held my spot while I went to go analyze the merch. I was only expecting the best, I mean this is coming from Nile. Their artwork is phenomenal, and based on the shirts I'd already seen I was almost certain I would be compelled to buy something. I was met with that exact feeling. They had three shirts, one with the album cover in an all-over-print fashion with tour dates on the back, and the other two with fantastic designs on the front with gold text on the back saying "We Are They Whom The Gods Detest". The latter two ran for $20 and the tour dates one ran for $25. They were all so epic it was a difficult time deciding which shirt to purchase, but I eventually ended up going with the tour dates/all-over-print one. Definitely ain't gonna regret that in the future. I don't really remember the other merch besides two or three Dreamind Dead shirts, five or six Immolation shirts, and three Krisiun shirts. After my merchandising endeavors I returned to my rail spot and waited for the first band who were to come on due to Abigail Williams' unforeseen departure from the bill.

These guys were called The Judas Syndrome. I had never heard of them before, so this would be a total unbiased approach. The only possible hint I could get to their music was that when I was looking for merch in the lower floor, I saw their shirts, and the front designs had that stupid, absurdly colorful splatter artwork that scene and -core bands utilize, but on the back of their shirts it said "Thrash Fucking Metal", covering the whole back. Confusing, because my first guess was that they were a thrash-core band, which I never even thought existed. Well, go figure my first guess was right. The members came on stage, four of them to be precise, with only one of them looking like a total tool (the bassist). They proceeded to start the show with a cliche breakdown, and full with the lol'zing jump-up-and-down's and gay "headbanging" where it looks like they're attempting to giver head to themselves. That didn't really set a positive vibe for them, and for good reason. The frontman then came on stage, this large dude with a fitted hat, but wearing a Kill Em' All shirt. I really didn't know what to expect from their music if they advocated thrash metal, so regardless of the fail breakdown I just sat and listened. Right after said breakdown, they proceeded into this awesome thrashy riffage/drumming, the works. It was fucking awesome. The vocalist had a lot of power to his voice, deep screaming that fit. It was really surprising to hear such good music come out of these guys, definitely not expected. Throughout their whole set, their were only a few nuances I had (and on that note, EVERYTHING else was awesome about these guys). The bassist not only looked like a tool, but acted like the typical -core fag. Was active the whole time for the most part, but when the shitty breakdowns came on, he definitely got super-excited to the max. He did all the stupid shit he could possibly do, and it was really annoying to see it. Second thing that really bothered me, and it's the last: said shitty breakdowns. They were such a talented band, great riffs, so much energy on stage, everything that a good thrash metal band should have, and it just worked. But the including of these stupid unnecessary breakdowns was so obnoxious. I wanted to like these guys so much, but the inclusion of the -core just forced me to pull back a little bit. I still liked these guys, and I will definitely speak well of them if they ever are brought up. But this will be my words every time, verbatim: "They are an awesome live band, thrashing riffs, speeding drums, fantastic solo's, and take out the abysmal breakdowns and you got yourself a damned thrash metal band". That's my side on the matter.

After The Judas Syndrome were finished, Dreaming Dead were up next. I knew that there was a female in the band, so when I saw one of them seemingly sound-checking and such I told my friend that that was probably the frontwoman/guitarist. He was quick to notice that there was in fact, another girl on the other side of the stage seemingly sound-checking as well. He put a bet on me that she was in fact the frontwoman/guitarist. Little did we know that both of them were in the band, and this was quite a surprise to us both. He did technically win because while they were both guitarists, his pick was the frontwoman, but we dropped the bet . Anyhoo, I don't know what it was about the lineup that made me pretty excited for them, I had high hopes to say otherwise. After their first two songs, I was kind of losing my interest and they were disappointing me. It just didn't seem inspiring, and the lead chick on vocals was very weak compared to other black metal-ish vocalists, and I'm not just saying that cause she's a girl. Her guitar tone was pretty awful too, very digital sounding and it was on our side of the stage, so it was oh so prominent. Finally, her guitar playing in general was very poor, and it was noticeable. She screwed up multiple times, and her soloing was extremely sloppy, awful sweeps, poor trem-picking, etc.Their later material in the set proved to be a lot better than their first two songs; the riffs got better, the stage presence went up a notch, and they just seemed to play better. They were getting a very good crowd response, which was very surprising. Not because they were bad, just because I didn't really see them as that spectacular. Regardless, good for them. My final judgment of them was that they were entertaining live and an alright band in general. While I personally will probably never get into them as a band, I do not think they are bad by any means, just weak in some areas and not really something worth my time.

Up next was the Brazilian powerhouse Krisiun! I had failed to give them a proper chance at the Destruction show about a year ago (partially because I was talking to Schmier ), so I was determined to put all my energy into them. They came out and they just slaughtered the place. Really, they just didn't fuck around. They went on stage, Alex just beasted his way through the set, being super nice as always. The only minor complaint I had during their set was the fact that Moyses' guitar was way too low. That could have been because we were on the bass' side, but it should still be taken into account so there's a better balance. That's really all there is to say about them, they are an awesome band with awesome energy, and I will be definitely be going out to see them given the opportunity.

Immolation were to follow. I had started listening to them a month before the show, and I have to be honest, it didn't hit me. It was good, by no means bad, but it just didn't strike me down and kick my ass like most other death metal bands do. So I told myself I would wait til' their live show. That I did. And I gotta say, it still didn't hit me. Still not bad, powerful stage presence, but not inspiring. The frontman had hair up to his ass, and he was this big guy, so that was pretty badass to see on stage, but the music just didn't do anything for me. For the ones who enjoyed them, more power to them, but I just found myself bored by their performance. Maybe it was due to the fact that Krisiun took a tole on me, I don't know, but I'm not gonna fight with my own opinion. That's about all I can say with Immolation, but happy for them due to the frontman saying they haven't been out for a while and they had old friends watching them. Good for them.

Finally, the mighty Nile were set to go on stage. Just the massive anticipation for them was surreal, and once they came on stage and opened with Kafir!, the place went wild. Everyone was singing "There is no God but God!!!" and so on, so forth. Dallas' voice is a freaking boom box, it just explodes and has that deep growl, ridiculously heavy. The band just went through their set, hitting every song in such a brutal fashion, they could have covered Slipknot and made it awesome/heavy. Regardless, my first time seeing Nile was amazing in every way. They played so many songs I wanted to hear, and just the fact that ever since listening to Nile I had been inspired by them made it surreal that I was watching some huge influences. I had always loved the harmonic minor scale and I love the Egyptian environment of damned near everything, but especially music. Ever since finding out a metal band took direct influence from Egyptian history, instruments, music, etc., well it's no surprise I was hooked from day one. The only super-minor complaint I have is that I had always had this imaginative thought that Nile would actually play out the ambient portions of their music (the sitar, the gong, etc.). Obviously it would be pretty difficult to do so, but there was a part of me that was really hoping it would be played out with an effects pedal, the actual gong behind the drum set, anything. Unfortunately I was disappointed in that department, for it was all recordings set up to play through the monitor. As I said before, it's a ridiculously minor complaint, for it had no undermining effect on the live performance. Maybe someday they'll play it out...wishful thinking. Moving on, they definitely had a human side to their performance as well. After every song ended, they were semi-interacting with the crowd and just seemed to be having a good time, something I love to see in big bands. Before Black Seeds Of Vengeance, they screwed up the intro and the crowd yelled "It's OK to make mistakes!" and "You screwed up a bit!", and they started smiling and laughing and then they went into the song. Definitely looked like a super chill group of guys, always admirable to see that. After the set was over, I was able to catch Dallas' pick (which unfortunately is not a signature pick, so it looks like any other pick I could buy in a store). Karl jumped down to the barricade after and started shaking everyone's hand, and I got to as well. I yelled "Karl, you're the fucking man!" and he smiled and did a Fonz-like hand gesture to me . I also had my bandanna in my hand just in case the lady from before told him, and he did notice it and he gave me a thumbs-up. It was so cool to see him acknowledge the bandanna. He didn't do anything else and go up to talk to me, but the lady definitely told him, and I thought that was really nice of her. I actually saw her walking out of the show and thanked her, and she said she's glad we got a barricade spot and had a good time. Very nice people in this world. In short, I found Nile to be a ridiculously talented band, super tight on stage which is awe-inspiring due to the difficulty level of their songs. George is an absolute monster behind the kit (which is massive by the way), it's almost in-human. Karl had these awesome guitars, was phenomenal on all of them (unfortunately he never pulled out the brutal white spear KxK guitar ). The whole band were fantastic musically and visually, and I will definitely be seeing them again and again, make no doubt of that.

So after that, we went back to Penn Station, hopped on the train and started talking about horrible movie plots made to lulz that, if delivered correctly, would be badass movies. There's my social life for ya.

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 01-19-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Review
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I am so ready for this
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
brotuhl

that was such an awesome show. No idea why they played 4th Arra of Dagon. If they had replaced that with Utterances of the Crawling Dead, or Annihilation of the Wicked, or fuck, even Unas Slayer of the Gods, it would have been perfect. Sucks they skipped Cast Down the Heretic. oh well, maybe next time.

Btw, I'm pretty sure this was Immo's set:

Immolation
1. Passion Kill
2. Swarm Of Terror
3. Den of Theives
4. The Purge
5. Burial Ground
6. World Agony

Last edited by Polock91; 01-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Immolation's set was actually:

Passion Kill
Swarm Of Terror
Den Of Thieves
Father You're Not A Father
The Purge
Burial Ground
World Agony
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 AM
N00B

amazing show!! i wish all mondays would be like this!!!!!!!!!!

NILE RULES!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Immolation setlist updated. Wasn't too familiar with their material, so I tried my best to remember what he said and the already posted setlist, thank for the revision.

Edit: Review up and posted

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 01-19-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
N00B

sucks they didnt play cast down the heretic... hopefully they play it here in seattle.... can't wait to see them next week.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
Immolation setlist updated. Wasn't too familiar with their material, so I tried my best to remember what he said and the already posted setlist, thank for the revision.

Edit: Review up and posted
were u wearing a behemoth shirt ?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASTONCAPO666 View Post
were u wearing a behemoth shirt ?
The one with the dark-red bandanna, long hair as well? Yup, that would be me

Where were you?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
N00B

IMMOLATION SET LIST

IMMO played only seven songs? No NO JESUS in NY?!

Tags
immolation, krisiun, nile