Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

There is that, although that's true of every scoring system like this.

You could, however, have everyone vote for 10, but make the final list 20.

Either way, I don't think 10 albums for a decade is enough. Not for a community as small as this one, anyway.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
In Search of Truth

I definitely understand what you're saying, I just don't think it's really gonna change anything to expand the voting lists. It's just gonna result in about 200 more albums only getting one vote.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Vote five and make the list ten, then

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
In Search of Truth

The only thing we could do make this any form of a general consensus would be for everyone to post 20 nominations (their 20 favorites), keep track, and then take every album that received more than 1 nomination, relist them, and have everyone select their 10 favorites out of that, and score it normally. It's totally unfair, but it's about the only way we could possibly form a generalized list rather than a whole bunch of polarizing favorite albums, and a bunch of albums with like 4 votes or less apiece.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
The only thing we could do make this any form of a general consensus would be for everyone to post 20 nominations (their 20 favorites), keep track, and then take every album that received more than 1 nomination, relist them, and have everyone select their 10 favorites out of that, and score it normally. It's totally unfair, but it's about the only way we could possibly form a generalized list rather than a whole bunch of polarizing favorite albums, and a bunch of albums with like 4 votes or less apiece.
Hey, why not. It would take longer but who cares.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
In Search of Truth

The more I think about it, it's not a bad idea. Even I am pretty confident that if we did things exactly as I mentioned, enough albums would receive nominations that I could pick out 10 albums I really liked, enough so that I wouldn't feel I was being cheated. And hell, if I could do that, most people here would have absolutely no trouble.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Regretting my username

I vote for any method that makes that Kansan work harder.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Depending on the results, I think it should be something like 25. If the results drop off (ex. #15 gets 100 points, #16 gets 50), I wouldn't be opposed to making it something like 15. We always include the results way past the actual top 10 anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

Also: no fucking multiplier.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Here is one of many possible ways to make this work (and bear in mind that I'm an engineer, so I think this way all the time - the numbers can always be adjusted to tell the type of story you want to tell):

Let everyone vote for 20 - that way, we get more votes counted, because as several folks have mentioned, only allowing ten per person for an entire decade for a community this small - and varied in tastes - is somewhat fruitless.

Also, make the final list twenty, and not ten, for very similar reasons as above.

Lastly, in order to not have the problem that several have noted where the number twenty picks get hugely overshadowed by the number one picks just by virtue of the number of votes it takes to skyrocket an album to the top, you would use a formula like this:

P = 5 * (20 - R) + 50, where P is the number of points an album gets, and R is the ranking given by the voter.

This would result in the bottom (20th) pick getting 50 points, the tenth pick getting 100 points, and the top pick (#1) getting 145 points. All of the other picks would get five more points than the adjacent one.

...and of course, it goes without saying that you could change the values of 5, 20 and 50 in the above equation any way you want to get a spread of points that would seem most "fair" to everyone.

Sound like a plan? (Remember, numbers can be our friends, they just need to be beaten into shape like the rest of you pricks. )
Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Here is one of many possible ways to make this work (and bear in mind that I'm an engineer, so I think this way all the time - the numbers can always be adjusted to tell the type of story you want to tell):

Let everyone vote for 20 - that way, we get more votes counted, because as several folks have mentioned, only allowing ten per person for an entire decade for a community this small - and varied in tastes - is somewhat fruitless.

Also, make the final list twenty, and not ten, for very similar reasons as above.

Lastly, in order to not have the problem that several have noted where the number twenty picks get hugely overshadowed by the number one picks just by virtue of the number of votes it takes to skyrocket an album to the top, you would use a formula like this:

P = 5 * (20 - R) + 50, where P is the number of points an album gets, and R is the ranking given by the voter.

This would result in the bottom (20th) pick getting 50 points, the tenth pick getting 100 points, and the top pick getting 150 points. All of the other picks would get five more points than the adjacent one.

...and of course, it goes without saying that you could change the values of 5, 20 and 50 in the above equation any way you want to get a spread of points that would seem most "fair" to everyone.

Sound like a plan? (Remember, numbers can be our friends, they just need to be beaten into shape like the rest of you pricks. )
Can I email you my calculus assignments?