Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM
N00B

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Wu-Tang Clan's "36 Chambers" is the best hip-hop album of all time. That is fact. It cannot be disputed.
also, this
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Oh well. I definitely like that Mastodon, Cobalt and Baroness all made the top ten. I also like that Ensiferum, Kylesa, Nile, Immortal, Warbringer and Skeletonwitch all got Honorable Mentions. Those all scored high with me (semi-spoiler alert!).

Wrath was just wrong, though. Not necessarily because LoG sucks, but it just wasn't that good of an album as compared to their previous work, however you might feel about it. In other words, I have an overwhelming feeling that some of the LoG fans on here just voted for it because it was made by the band that they like and nobody else does, and so they feel they have to defend their honor by voting for a mediocre album. I would have said the same thing about the new Chimaira, for example, and I'm generally a fan of theirs, but The Infection was just fucking awful. I just think there is some objectivity missing in some of the albums that scored really high here, that's all - people voting for the band and not the album.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Wu-Tang Clan's "36 Chambers" is the best hip-hop album of all time. That is fact. It cannot be disputed.
Edit: Never mind.

Honestly, it and Tribe Called Quest's "Low End Theory" are in an eternal struggle for ultimate supremacy
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Wrath was just wrong, though. Not necessarily because LoG sucks, but it just wasn't that good of an album as compared to their previous work, however you might feel about it. In other words, I have an overwhelming feeling that some of the LoG fans on here just voted for it because it was made by the band that they like and nobody else does, and so they feel they have to defend their honor by voting for a mediocre album. I would have said the same thing about the new Chimaira, for example, and I'm generally a fan of theirs, but The Infection was just fucking awful. I just think there is some objectivity missing in some of the albums that scored really high here, that's all - people voting for the band and not the album.
I agree entirely with Wrath. I'll be the first to admit, that I am a big fan of LoG, but I did not like Wrath. It sounded lame and uninspired to me. In my opinion, their worst yet. I didn't necessarily feel the same way about the Infection. I thought it was different, which threw the normal Chimaira fans off, but I thought they pulled it off pretty well. I completely agree though, its the album you're voting for, not the band.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
food for thought: It is impossible to state an opinion as a fact. A qualitative evaluation of any given thing is defined as an opinion. No matter how you present it, it will always be an opinion, a reflection of a persons thoughts on the object in question. Statements that are often thrown around, such as "well that's just an opinion" are meaningless, because any such take on something is going to be an opinion. If someone acts as if their opinion is a fact, it is because to them, it is. When someone here says "Lamb of God sucks,"(maybe not the most neutral example) they need not add an "IMO" at the end, because it is already an opinion by definition. And if you delve into what an "opinion" really is, it is the same thing as "fact," except that it differs on a per person basis. The person who says Lamb of God sucks - to them, such thing is a fact, rather than opinion. The difference between the two things only takes effect when applied on a less individual basis. Knowing this, there really can never be a logical reason to take offense at another person's opinion, or for them presenting it as if it were fact. I would presume that in doing so, the accuser is simply catering to their own insecurities.

jus' sayin'.
Best post ever? I think so.

You know what they say about an opinion though... it's just another Point of View.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Visualize perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Oh well. I definitely like that Mastodon, Cobalt and Baroness all made the top ten. I also like that Ensiferum, Kylesa, Nile, Immortal, Warbringer and Skeletonwitch all got Honorable Mentions. Those all scored high with me (semi-spoiler alert!).

At first I felt the same about Wrath, but after listening to it more and more, and seeing some of the songs played live, I changed my mind and I now love every song on the record. I'll never be able to decide which I like better, Ashes Of The Wake, Sacrament, or Wrath.

I agree with The Infection though.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
No, just a soupy mix of aesthetics and philosophy of language. Sorry SIT72
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

You know what they say about an opinion though... it's just another Point of View.
It could also be said that people don't often see Eye to Eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
No, just a soupy mix of aesthetics and philosophy of language. Sorry SIT72
I don't even know a thing about 'philosophy of language' or whatever, I was just elaborating on a few things that have come to my mind whenever that situation rears it's head. I tend to lurk about the opposite side of the nerdiness spectrum
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
It could also be said that people don't often see Eye to Eye.
That's true, I suppose. But maybe they just need to have a look Through Different Eyes.