Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-15-2010, 03:57 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

i wish the LoG fans would just shut the fuck up already with their complaints everytime someone says their band is anything less than ideal.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Bingo. I hate how butthurt people get about opinions. The fact that I'm saying it makes it MY opinion. I'll ususally throw on the old "IMO" when making a big-ass claim like something is one of the greatest albums of all time, but generally it's silly.
It wasn't until Nat kept saying "IMHO" that I really picked up on what it meant.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

food for thought: It is impossible to state an opinion as a fact. A qualitative evaluation of any given thing is defined as an opinion. No matter how you present it, it will always be an opinion, a reflection of a persons thoughts on the object in question. Statements that are often thrown around, such as "well that's just an opinion" are meaningless, because any such take on something is going to be an opinion. If someone acts as if their opinion is a fact, it is because to them, it is. When someone here says "Lamb of God sucks,"(maybe not the most neutral example) they need not add an "IMO" at the end, because it is already an opinion by definition. And if you delve into what an "opinion" really is, it is the same thing as "fact," except that it differs on a per person basis. The person who says Lamb of God sucks - to them, such thing is a fact, rather than opinion. The difference between the two things only takes effect when applied on a less individual basis. Knowing this, there really can never be a logical reason to take offense at another person's opinion, or for them presenting it as if it were fact. I would presume that in doing so, the accuser is simply catering to their own insecurities.

jus' sayin'.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
food for thought: It is impossible to state an opinion as a fact. A qualitative evaluation of any given thing is defined as an opinion. No matter how you present it, it will always be an opinion, a reflection of a persons thoughts on the object in question. Statements that are often thrown around, such as "well that's just an opinion" are meaningless, because any such take on something is going to be an opinion. If someone acts as if their opinion is a fact, it is because to them, it is. When someone here says "Lamb of God sucks,"(maybe not the most neutral example) they need not add an "IMO" at the end, because it is already an opinion by definition. And if you delve into what an "opinion" really is, it is the same thing as "fact," except that it differs on a per person basis. The person who says Lamb of God sucks - to them, such thing is a fact, rather than opinion. The difference between the two things only takes effect when applied on a less individual basis. Knowing this, there really can never be a logical reason to take offense at another person's opinion, or for them presenting it as if it were fact. I would presume that in doing so, the accuser is simply catering to their own insecurities.

jus' sayin'.
ok but thats just ur opinion
Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
ok but thats just ur opinion
beards suck imo
Old 01-15-2010, 04:20 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
beards suck imo
So does living in New York amirite?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
"know for a fact" is actually a common english phrase that can be applied to opinions. What it really means is "I have perceived this firsthand" which is different than trying to say ones own opinion is fact.

ahh my mistake then. i know everyone has an opinion, but it really irritates when a person states their opinion as a FACT, and means it as it really is a fact. like you don't have to say IMO, but many people nowadays state their opinion as fact like they're right and everyone else who doesn't agree is wrong. like an example someone could say "Lamb of God sucks and that is a fact, anyone who disagrees is an idiot." like some people view it as violating a law when they disagree with the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
i wish the LoG fans would just shut the fuck up already with their complaints everytime someone says their band is anything less than ideal.

wow really?? Because i wasn't talking about Lamb of God, i just saying that someone shouldn't state their opinion as a fact. but i misread that so my mistake. no need to get all angry.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Wu-Tang Clan's "36 Chambers" is the best hip-hop album of all time. That is fact. It cannot be disputed.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
ahh my mistake then. i know everyone has an opinion, but it really irritates when a person states their opinion as a FACT, and means it as it really is a fact. like you don't have to say IMO, but many people nowadays state their opinion as fact like they're right and everyone else who doesn't agree is wrong. like an example someone could say "Lamb of God sucks and that is a fact, anyone who disagrees is an idiot." like some people view it as violating a law when they disagree with the statement.

wow really?? Because i wasn't talking about Lamb of God, i just saying that someone shouldn't state their opinion as a fact. but i misread that so my mistake. no need to get all angry.

i am not angry good sir, this is only the internet, that is just how i talk.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
So does living in New York amirite?
I guess so.