Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 AM
D.B.B.

Rjturtle9's 2009 Lists thread Thingy

So since I was too lazy to post my top 10 albums of 2008 I fell that i should make a list for this year. Yeah I know im a little late on this but oh well. the lists that i will post:

Best Live Opening Acts
Best Live Performances
Best Overall Concerts
Worst Live Bands
Best Albums of the Year

All are gonna be top ten lists
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
D.B.B.

Top 10 Opening Bands

10. Behemoth – Opening on second stage at Mayhem Festival – 7/12
Arriving at The Glen Helen Pavilion late, I was scared of missing this band. After the long line I hurried inside to the second stages, even leaving my friend behind. I made it just in time to see these guys and wow did they bring it! The whole grass area for this stage became a brutal war zone while Behemoth played. Their energy onstage was felt up close or far away. They seemed very out of place on this bill with the metalcore bands but they still put on a hell of a performance.

9. Chimaira – Opening for Hatebreed and Trivium– 8/18 & 11/28
These two concerts raised my total Chimaira shows from 3 to 5. The first time I saw this band they were an opening act which I had never heard of before. But this year, they were better than ever. They brought effects like huge smoke shooter thingies and the new set was perfect. I really wasn’t too into the new album, but I thought the newer songs sounded great live. This band never disappoints opening or headlining.

8. Toxic Holocaust – Opening for Hatebreed and Satrycon - 8/18 & 10/8
Going into the Hatebreed show, I only had Evil Never Dies, and after, I knew I had to get the rest. Pitting at this show during Nuke The Cross with my future Girlfriend was one of the most fun experiences I had at a show all year! They were only better at the Satrycon show. Their set was longer and the crowd was more intense. This is one of those bands that make me not want to pit, but actually force me to pit. These guys kick ass and I don’t care if Joel Grind has glam hair, he’s a badass.

7. Sonata Arctica – Opening for DragonForce – 9/18
Wow, I actually went to a DragonForce show for the opening band except for the DragonForce themselves. Bought a Sonata Shirt, not a DragonForce one. Shocking I know, but I know for a fact that Sonata Arctica is the better band and I was ready for a treat. They sounded great onstage but lack of older material was a little disappointing, since I had heard their latest two releases. But they still put on a great show and their crowd reaction was great. They had their fans there and I was one of them singing my hearts out.

6. ChthoniC – Opening for Satrycon – 10/8
I have wanted to see these guys (and girl) since 2007 and now I had my chance. Although only a 20 minute set that consisted of only four songs, they still blew me away. Everything about them from beginning to end was absolutely breathtaking. They had their Taiwanese fans in the audience that threw there little paper things like in they do at the concerts at Taiwan. Made me feel like I was in their home country. Doris was beautiful as ever and my “I love you Doris” chants were lost in a crowd of many others chants of the same words. Freddy is such a presence on stage and Dani’s drums amazed me. Please please please come back to America as a headliner!!!

5. Austrian Death Machine – Opening for Children of Bodom – 10/11
Hell of fun! Going into this I thought they were going to be some kind of senseless hardcore band trying to be funny. Boy was I wrong. This band did what an opener should do, and that’s get the crowd pumped for the headliner. The Arnold guy was awesome and all the other band members and their gimmicks were great too. Crowd surfed and Arnold gave me a high five! Awesome moment! Oh and I ate shit with my then girlfriend in the pit. Made a fool of myself haha

4. Exodus – Opening for Kreator – 5/1
Exodus opening for Kreator!!!! What kind of wet dream is this!?!? They were great. Felt like I was at an Exodus headlining show. They drained my energy that I was saving for Kreator. Headbanging with San Diego metalheads was fun and their crowds are just as good as L.A. crowds. Only bad part was that Rob Dukes is an asshole. Everything else was just amazing.

3. Mantic Ritual – Opening for Destruction & Pro-Pain – 3/26 & 7/11
For the ProPain show, me and Andrew went just for these guys nobody else. Paid full price to see an opening act! And it was well worth it. Since seeing them back in 08, I knew I had discovered a badass new band. When they opened for Destruction, they killed the place, when they opened for Pro-Pain, they stole the show. After their set, they signed my CD and kicked it with us at the merch table. Great guys and I wish them luck in the future.

2. Cannibal Corpse – Headlining second stage at Mayhem Festival and Opening for Hatebreed & Trivium – 7/12 & 11/28
CANNIBAL FUCKING CORPSE!!! Their set at mayhem was the first one that I was actually scared at! Couldn’t headbang in one place for long because when you look up somehow you end up in the middle of the pit. These guys destroyed the mayhem fest crowd. Before their set while Trivium was playing, the crowd erupted in fuck Trivium chants. None of those fans wanted in the chaos that would follow. Same thing at the palladium show. They just destroyed the place. The pits were just too brutal for me and the crowd surfers were plentiful. I was one of them. I need to see these guys headline for sure. I just hope I survive that!

1. Warbringer – Opening for Kreator & Megadeth – 5/1 & 12/12
Wow where to begin with this band? Back in May when I saw the open for Kreator I had never heard their music. Being on the rail for them was great, especially seeing John Kevil dominate the stage. It wouldn’t be until December when I got to see them again, this time open for Megadeth. Great news in the morning finding out that Suicide Silence wasn’t going to be playing and that Warbringer was going to be playing an hour set. They proved to the Las Vegas crowd that thrash metal is still alive and well! Even though a big disaster happened to me at this show during Megadeth’s set, I still considered this show to be a success just because of this bands set!
Thank satan for Warbringer!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 AM
D.B.B.

Worst Ten Live Bands (for those that care lol)

10. Krisiun – Opening for Destruction – 3/26

This bad really bored me, especially since I saw four bands in a row before them that really kicked ass. I think they were having sound issues too since at times we couldn’t really hear the guitar. Plus what adds to me not liking their set, even though it wasn’t their fault, was that I was basically babysitting two of my friends during this time. One with a fucked up foot due to pitting and one was drunk off his ass. Bad times.

9. Cynic – Opening for DragonForce – 4/15
Yeah, I got a lot of shit for not liking their performance but they should have been better. There music was pretty good technical but nothing too exciting. What really turned me off to this bad was that they were stiffs on stage. They put no effort to put on at least somewhat of a show. I have never seen a band that looked that uncomfortable on stage before in my life!

8. Bleeding Through – Opening for Satrycon – 10/8
We were in the back rooms where the merch booths were and right when we heard this band start playing we knew that the secret Toxic Holocaust show happening in East L.A. would be better so we walked out of the show. I saw the chick in the band though. She’s hott I’ll give her that!

7. Unearth – Opening for Trivium and Hatebreed – 11/28
Unearth would have been ok if it weren’t for their fans. Stupid scene mallcore kids hardcore dancing and two stepping do not belong at a show that Cannibal Corpse is playing! They really weren’t as bad as I thought they would have been though. Still, the idiotic fans drove me and Andrew out to the main lobby of the venue to chat it up.

6. Lacuna Coil – Headline Show – 7/22
Wow what a huge let down! Not only was this the worst show of 2009, but the worst show of my life! All the openers sucked and I was praying that Lacuna Coil would make up for that. Well, they didn’t! Their set was ok at best but I was so bored from the opening bands that they really needed to go all out for me to regain interest. They failed. Horrible concert.

5. Pop Evil – Opening for Judas Priest – 8/2 & 8/8

How out of place was this band! Judas Priest made a huge mistake taking Pop Evil out on tour with them! I don’t think a single song of theres was appreciated by anyone in the crowd at both my nights, let alone the whole tour! This band is all pop, but no evil.

4. Coheed and Cambria – Opening for Heaven and Hell – 8/11
See Pop Evil, but worse. This bad was more out of place then the before mentioned. Pretty much the whole crowd around me looked bored during there set. I must admit, some of their songs were pretty good, but what killed it for me was the horrible Trooper cover. The sad part about it, a lot of the crowd applauded it! Memorable moment during there set were these two guys a couple rows in front of me that were all bromancing it during there set. They were having a blast and singing all the songs and even holding each others hands while singing too. Very strange.

3. Seventh Void - Opening for Lacuna Coil – 7/22
Ok here comes the pain. The next three bands made the Lacuna Coil show the worst I’ve ever been to. Seventh Void was the least sucky out of the three and I got free French fries during their set so that’s why they get placed third.

2. Dommin – Opening for Lacuna Coil – 7/22
My friend that I had gone with said that these guys were pretty good. Boy was he wrong. After the first song I knew I was in for a long night. My hopes for what was to be a metal show, or maybe even a hard rock show, were shattered by this band.

1. Kill Hannah – Opening for Lacuna Coil – 7/22

Please kill this band! Why were they on the bill! I really don’t want to get into this so just look them up on youtube if you dare.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Haha, wtf is kill hannah
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Haha, wtf is kill hannah
you don't wanna know haha
Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
Worst Ten Live Bands (for those that care lol)

9. Cynic – Opening for DragonForce – 4/15
Yeah, I got a lot of shit for not liking their performance but they should have been better. There music was pretty good technical but nothing too exciting. What really turned me off to this bad was that they were stiffs on stage. They put no effort to put on at least somewhat of a show. I have never seen a band that looked that uncomfortable on stage before in my life!

7. Unearth – Opening for Trivium and Hatebreed – 11/28
Unearth would have been ok if it weren’t for their fans. Stupid scene mallcore kids hardcore dancing and two stepping do not belong at a show that Cannibal Corpse is playing! They really weren’t as bad as I thought they would have been though. Still, the idiotic fans drove me and Andrew out to the main lobby of the venue to chat it up.
re: Cynic - Their music does not lend itself to somersaults, jumping around, screaming, throwing up devil horns, or whatever else you may have been expecting. It's about one thing: emotion (and not violent emotions like anger, but introspective reflection, living in the moment and letting your mind become one with the music). It's also about skills, which Cynic showed in spades when I saw them. Having said all this, they did not make my "Best Shows" or "Best Performances" lists this year, because I saw others that were better / more interesting, but they didn't make my "worst" list either (I actually didn't make one, but that's neither here nor there), because I see no reason to hate on them and disrespect their style or skill because they weren't calling for circle pits or trying to get their fans to beat the hell out of each other.

re: Unearth - so you are hating on a band's performance because of their fans? This is really unfair, dude. Say you didn't have a good time at during their set because of the fans if you want (I said the same thing about Winds of Plague, for example), but when you put them on a list like this it just makes it look like you're saying that they suck live (which I don't think is really what you're trying to say).
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
re: Cynic - Their music does not lend itself to somersaults, jumping around, screaming, throwing up devil horns, or whatever else you may have been expecting. It's about one thing: emotion (and not violent emotions like anger, but introspective reflection, living in the moment and letting your mind become one with the music). It's also about skills, which Cynic showed in spades when I saw them. Having said all this, they did not make my "Best Shows" or "Best Performances" lists this year, because I saw others that were better / more interesting, but they didn't make my "worst" list either (I actually didn't make one, but that's neither here nor there), because I see no reason to hate on them and disrespect their style or skill because they weren't calling for circle pits or trying to get their fans to beat the hell out of each other.

re: Unearth - so you are hating on a band's performance because of their fans? This is really unfair, dude. Say you didn't have a good time at during their set because of the fans if you want (I said the same thing about Winds of Plague, for example), but when you put them on a list like this it just makes it look like you're saying that they suck live (which I don't think is really what you're trying to say).

Well going into this i wasn't expecting anything from Cynic. I just thought that if they are on tour supporting a bad that goes all out on stage and moves around and gets the crowd worked up, then they could have at least moved around even a little bit. They may be all of what you say they are on the album, but not live. This list is for worst performances, and i feel like they barely tried to put on a performance.

As for Unearth, yeah i guess i am being unfair, but at the same time, their music did nothing for me. They were one of those breakdown metalcore bands and i don't really like that kind of music. But yeah the fans did play a huge part of why i didn't like the performance but oh well.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I was up on the rail for Unearth because I wanted to be there for CC, and they put on a fantastic show, the other time I saw them I was further back and saw all the core kids fucking up an otherwise great live show. So yeah, the experience is different depending on the fans.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

I used to think all live music is good, regardless if the band is good or not.

Then I saw Pop Evil.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Headbanger

@turtle

You're lucky you haven't seen Suicide Silence. Belphegor is one band you are missing in your worst 10 list. Lazarus A.D. missing in top 10 list. I would put them at number 1.