Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Am I missing something here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
The cover with Hemingway [in his WWI uniform] is pretty significant to us. Before the United States Army was actually involved in World War I, he volunteered and went over there, with really no moral obligation to do so, he just did it because he just felt like he was a lion and thatís where he belonged. Thatís significant for my life because I really donít have any political convictions as far as me being in the military or anything like that. I just relate with Hemingway in feeling that thatís just the natural state for man and thatís where we belong as people; individuals.
I'm guessing.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Oh. Well, that didn't strike me as very shocking, and definitely not in the same ballpark as somone like Varg.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Oh. Well, that didn't strike me as very shocking, and definitely not in the same ballpark as somone like Varg.
The idea that man is in a constant, natural state of war, and that he has no qualms about killing, being in the military, etc. I don't understand how he can fulfill his duties in a mission that is so controversial (such as the Iraq War) that has caused such high casualties on both sides, and sparked such a highly emotional debate on both sides....and not feel any opinion whatsoever. Its strange to me. And the emotions/thoughts he is experiencing are pretty disturbing, even if they do result in good music. He doesn't ever want to return to civilian life (for good reason, factory work is shitty), dedicating his life to a single thing (his military 'career' sans the politics/personal investment), past feelings of worthlessness, and fascination with killing oneself whenever he feels he is no longer worthy in his own eyes....Thats pretty deep. I'm not sure how he is going to hide that from the military psychologists.

PS - Brad, I think your patriotism is showing. Phil said he doesn't have an opinion of The War or politics or the government, yet you refer to the military as "heroic" and allude to him 'defending his country'....Thats not what he enlisted for.

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 01-06-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post

PS - Brad, I think your patriotism is showing. Phil said he doesn't have an opinion of The War or politics or the government, yet you refer to the military as "heroic" and allude to him 'defending his country'....Thats not what he enlisted for.
I had qualms about this, but ultimately decided that no matter what the motivation is, defending one's country is an honorable line of work. You can argue with this, and you'd probably give me all the good, sound logic I can handle, but I can't help but think that the military is kind of in a realm all to itself. If Phil McSorley gets his leg blown off by a car bomb, the contribution he made to his country isn't less heroic because his heart wasn't in it for patriotic reasons. Two years ago, I would probably slap myself in the face for saying that, but I can not picture myself going to war in any way, shape or form, so I've come to respect the military quite a bit more as time goes by.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
I'm not sure how he is going to hide that from the military psychologists.
You'd be shocked at how many people in the military (especially those who are deployed) have similar feelings and attitudes. The military mostly looks the other way, but lately they've had to change the way they deal with it because of the skyrocketing suicide rate and incidents like the Ft. Hood shooting.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
I had qualms about this, but ultimately decided that no matter what the motivation is, defending one's country is an honorable line of work. You can argue with this, and you'd probably give me all the good, sound logic I can handle, but I can't help but think that the military is kind of in a realm all to itself. If Phil McSorley gets his leg blown off by a car bomb, the contribution he made to his country isn't less heroic because his heart wasn't in it for patriotic reasons. Two years ago, I would probably slap myself in the face for saying that, but I can not picture myself going to war in any way, shape or form, so I've come to respect the military quite a bit more as time goes by.
I'm sure he would argue that he got hurt doing what he wanted to do, and it wasn't heroic - It was just him fulfilling his natural destiny as a warring human being. I liked your article, I just didn't think those two instances did justice to what he would want. You're portraying him in a light that he near-explicitly says he doesn't want to be portrayed in.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he would argue that he got hurt doing what he wanted to do, and it wasn't heroic - It was just him fulfilling his natural destiny as a warring human being. I liked your article, I just didn't think those two instances did justice to what he would want. You're portraying him in a light that he near-explicitly says he doesn't want to be portrayed in.
That's fair, thanks for the critique. He said he loved the article though so it stays.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
That's fair, thanks for the critique. He said he loved the article though so it stays.
Thats what I'm here for. Village cynic.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

i was expecting this to be some lame ass dick sucking thread to promote cobalt some more, but you actually interviewed the guy! this was a pleasant surprise and I hope you do more stuff like this in the future, metalsetlists having its very own exclusive interviews is a cool thing.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
i was expecting this to be some lame ass dick sucking thread to promote cobalt some more, but you actually interviewed the guy! this was a pleasant surprise and I hope you do more stuff like this in the future, metalsetlists having its very own exclusive interviews is a cool thing.
It was still a lame-ass dick suck, it just had quotes.