Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
@turtle

You're lucky you haven't seen Suicide Silence. Belphegor is one band you are missing in your worst 10 list. Lazarus A.D. missing in top 10 list. I would put them at number 1.
Belphegor was ok i digged them, but i never got to see Lazarus A.D.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
wtf??
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
Oh yeah you missed the Testament show as well as the Ensiferum and Vader shows, the three shows I saw them open at.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I was up on the rail for Unearth because I wanted to be there for CC, and they put on a fantastic show, the other time I saw them I was further back and saw all the core kids fucking up an otherwise great live show. So yeah, the experience is different depending on the fans.
I understand that, but RJ had Unearth included on a list which is titled "Worst Ten Live Bands", which implies that the band, not the fans, suck. That's all I'm saying. Express your dissatisfaction with the fans if you want to, or say the experience sucked, but don't rip on the five guys up there performaning if you really don't hate them (which he said he didn't). That's just misplaced negativity.

...and back at RJ, I think you're still missing the point with Cynic. Why shoulkd they be something they aren't, just to fit in with Meshuggah or whomever they were opening for when you saw them? If they got selected for a tour where the headliner was a different type of band, then so be it, but to expect Cynic to have crazy high energy up on stage, when this is clearly not their style, is just ludicrous. They don't "phone in" their performances - Cynic is simply an intellectual type of band, comprised of introspective people, and that is what their fans like about them. They come to the show for the music, not the mosh pit.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-06-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
I used to think all live music is good, regardless if the band is good or not.

Then I saw Pop Evil.

I saw them open for Tesla back in October of last year, my god that was terrible. Tesla always has really shitty modern rock bands opening for them.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
...and back at RJ, I think you're still missing the point with Cynic. Why shoulkd they be something they aren't, just to fit in with Meshuggah or whomever they were opening for when you saw them? If they got selected for a tour where the headliner was a different type of band, then so be it, but to expect Cynic to have crazy high energy up on stage, when this is clearly not their style, is just ludicrous. They don't "phone in" their performances - Cynic is simply an intellectual type of band, comprised of introspective people, and that is what their fans like about them. They come to the show for the music, not the mosh pit.
nah like i get what your saying, they may be all about the music and try to be as technical as hell. i'll give them that, but when it comes down to performances, they just didn't perform at all. and that's why they're on the list. If i wanted to just hear the music, id listen to the album.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
D.B.B.

Top 20 Performances (because 10 just wouldn't do)

20. Monsters of Rock 5/16
I just had to mention these guys in this list. Most fun tribute show I have ever been too. Was even better since me and Andrew were two of the small few that were actually there. They were great and played a good variety of metal music. Ron is an amazing vocalist and can do pretty much any voice you ask him to! It was great singing the trooper too! Great show and very fun!

19. Damage Inc. 11/17
Saw these guys six times last year so if I had to only pick one time for this list, I must say their House of Blues show would be it. Damage Inc perfectly executes all Metallica songs that they play, and the singer even looks like James. Their performance on this day was what I was waiting for. Mosh pits and all, not the rule infested swap meet I usually see them at. Too short of a set though, but other than that, they kicked ass and I left happy.

18. The Iron Maidens 9/5
I always loved seeing The Iron Maidens live and every time they perform they always bring their A game, but this show was even better. The set lists were damn near perfect! Plus it seemed like they gave it more this time around. What made it better were the pits that formed and even the guy that was stage diving (huge props to him!) I can’t wait to see these girls play again.

17. ChthoniC 10/8
I had wanted to see this band for about two years prior to this, and they did not disappoint! Their performance was as brutal as it was beautiful. This band put on a show like as if there were playing a higher slot. I would have never thought that I would be happy with one of my favorite bands playing a short four song set, but they pulled off each song flawlessly. I wasn’t expecting them to play my favorite song Bloody Gaya Fulfilled but I was shocked to hear it. Even the Asian props that were thrown from the audience were amazing as I had seen it in their live concert DVD but I didn’t think that those traditions would be shown at a show in L.A. I can not wait until I see this band headline!

16. Toxic Holocaust 10/8
After just seeing this band play at the Key Club opening for Satrycon I was pumped. So when I found out that they were going to be playing a secret show again that night, I knew that I couldn’t pas up the opportunity to hear these guys for the second time in one night. The venue was a shitty bar with no air conditioning or anything. No PA system and crappy restrooms. I’ve seen some backyard gigs that were better than this place, but it was still awesome. The sound, lighting, and overall venue was way better at the Key Club was way better than during this performance, but the energy was better here. The crowd was intense and people were getting destroyed in the front. Same set as their earlier performance, but this one was a way better experience.

15. Def Leppard 8/30
Going into this show I wasn’t really a big Def Leppard fan, and Im still not really, but these did put on a great performance. All the nice props, the huge screens, everything! Even the small acoustic part was great. For a bunch of old British guys, they can sure as hell still bring the rock of ages! The drum solo was amazing too. Big props for the drummer playing as good as he does. That demands respect!

14. Megadeth 12/13

My first Megadeth concert turned out to be a disaster. But even through this, the songs that I did see from the band were amazing. This show would have easily made the top 5 if I had finished watching it but oh well my lose. From the set that I did see, Megadeth was in top shape. The sound was so clean and Chris was pulling off solos flawlessly. I can’t wait to see them again, and next time, I will not get kicked out!!!

13. Slipknot 3/7
Awwww Slipknot my old favorite band from middle school. These 9 guys always put on an amazing performance. This time was special for me though. I’ve always wanted to hear Purity but with the Frail Limb Nursery intro too and I got that. They’ve never done that before until this tour so that was great. The lighting effects were amazing and the band did not hold back at all with their performance. The two percussion players even walked around the floor area and then to the where the seats were. Every song was a spectacle and for that reason I will always support this band.

12. Warbringer 12/13
They blew me away when they opened for Megadeth. Suicide Silence didn’t show up so they got a full hour set and for each minute they unleashed their thrash assault to the Las Vegas crowd. They brought the local band feel as the guitarist was jumping down off stage and coming to the rail. John the vocalist even did some crowd surfing with the fans. This bad IS going to get big very soon and I think they deserve every bit of success they get.

11. Children of Bodom 10/11
Great performance! I didn’t really enjoy them the last time I saw them but this time they kicked ass! I loved the Rock You Like A Hurricane teaser and the rest of the set was almost flawless. No Needle 24/7 kind of disappointed me, but other than that, this set was excellent. Just a note: Fuck you whoever socked my dick while I was crowd surfing! Fuck you to hell!

10. Cannibal Corpse 7/12

This was the first show that I was actually scared at! Couldn’t headbang in one place for long or else the pit would have devoured me! I love how Cannibal Corpse is no bullshit onstage. No funny gimmicks, not weird props, just plain brutal death metal. They made sure that all the other bands on the second stages and even most on the main stage knew that they were the most brutal of the day!

9. Municipal Waste 11/20
When Municipal Waste says there gonna fuck you up, THEY MEAN IT!!! This concert was epic! My first stage dive and my first concussion. Of all the shows that I have seen at this venue, this one was the most brutal. Even though Municipal Waste played only about an hour, it was more than enough time for them to destroy the place. How Tony sings so fast I may never know and finally getting to see that custom guitar in real life!!! I was the first on stage to get the mic on Born To Party, and I got it all on video! This was too fun. I can’t wait for the next Waste show!

8. Slayer 7/12
Second time seeing slayer and I don’t think I have ever headbanged so hard up in a seated section. From the moment the curtains dropped the whole stadium was plunged into hell. Slayer never disappoints with their live sets. Even though they didn’t have much props or effects on stage, you would still feel like you were experiencing a real show. Best part was when a fan jumped on stage and Tom knocked him the fuck out and just laughed after. Great times!!!

7. DragonForce 9/18

I don’t care what the haters may say about this band, DragonForce are amazing live! This show was better than all the other DF shows that I have been to. The setlist, the keyboard duel, Sam and Herman stage diving, everything made this night special. I really like this concert for the fact that I did my first stage dive and ZP shock my hand (kinda). It was also at the venue where I saw my first concert, a concert where DragonForce played too. So this whole night was special, not just for the performance, but for everything else including the openers.

6. Journey 8/1
Yup, I’m a Journey fan. They always put on a great performance, and this year was the best. Arnel Pineda is an amazing vocalist and has more stage energy than the great Steve Perry. Pineda deserves every bit of respect one can give him for his own personal journey that he took in his life to get where he is now. Deen Castronovo singing Mother, Father was breathtaking and had to be one of the better live moments of 2009 for sure. And nobody can deny that Neal Schon’s live guitar work is even better than the sound you get from the album. Everyone should listen to more Journey!

5. Kreator 5/1
The trip to San Diego was more than worth it. From the first few seconds of Hordes of Chaos, I was amazed at how clean the sound was. This has got to be one of the best sounding concerts I have ever been too. Kreator are known as the kings of German thrash metal for a reason and that is because they but on a show better than anyone else. Their set was filled with gems that I wanted to hear live and seeing Jürgen "Ventor" Reil sing Riot of Violence just a few feet from me was just great. Long live Kreator!

4. Heaven and Hell 8/11
This was a very special night for me on a personal level. My dad and I really never get to spend much time together so he coming with me to this was special. It was our first concert together and after this, I feel like we bonded like never before. The show itself was just as amazing. Last time I had seen Heaven & Hell I was not a big Dio era Sabbath fan, but going into this one, I was ready and prepared to sing my ass off. Seeing songs performed live like Children of the Sea, Neon Knights, Heaven and Hell, and Die Young was amazing and these legends still put on a great concert. Dio’s stage energy is amazing for his age and all the other members do not fall far behind. This is a show that I will remember for ever.

3. Metallica 12/10
Fourth time seeing them and the best time on the Death Magnetic tour. Pretty much the same show as the previous two, but with a much better set. I seriously had to fight myself from tearing up during Fade to Black. Trapped Under Ice was another great moment and the rest of the set was great. Even up in the seats way on top of the stadium, I still felt the energy and headbanged like crazy. The crowd this time around seemed lazy though. The pits weren’t even pits. People were just walking around looking tired. Still, Metallica didn’t disappoint in their performance and that’s all the matters.

2. Judas Priest 8/2 & 8/8
I really didn’t think anyone would have beaten this show. Judas priest were in top shape both times I saw them on this tour. Rob’s voice was amazing and sounds way better than on the new live album. Plus hearing the British Steel album in it’s entirety was very awesome since that album got me into the band. It kinda sucked that a lot of songs were left out of the set, but the songs that replaced them were amazing! The Ripper and Victim of Changes were incredible. I could see this show over and over again!

1. Kiss 11/25
ALRIGHT LOS ANGELES! YOU WANTED THE BEST, YOU GOT THE BEST! THE HOTTEST NAD IN THE WORLD, KISS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rjturtle9; 01-08-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Headbanger

You got the dates wrong for Megadeth/Warbringer. It was on 13th.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
You got the dates wrong for Megadeth/Warbringer. It was on 13th.
awww shit i knew i didn't make sense haha thanks man
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM
D.B.B.

Top 15 Concerts
(this list is based not on the performances, but just on which ones were most fun or which ones meant more to me for different reasons)

Keep Metal Alive Festival II 1/17
First show of the year and boy was it good. Pretty much a bunch of local bands with Witchaven, Vektor, Exmortus, Bonded by Blood, Deathriders, and Michael Angelo Batio. All the bands put in good performances but Witchaven, BBB and Exmortus stole the show! This was my first time seeing BBB and they kicked major ass. I really wanted to join my friends on stage for the Ninja Turtles song but I didn’t want to lose my spot so I decided not to. Exmortus tour the place apart! These guys are gonna get big I just know it. Deathriders were kind of disappointing but I had my first pit to Metal Thrashing Mad so that was cool. And it’s always good seeing my favorite guitar player M.A.B. performing. His guitar solos are orgasmic. Had to leave early so I missed the Batio/Deathriders jam but it was still a great show. Looking forward to this years

DragonForce 9/18
I don’t care what the haters say, DragonForce always put on a great show, and this one was even better because of Sonata Arctica. I went to this show many for Sonata. Never would I have thought of going to a DragonForce show for the openers, that’s just how much I love this band. But this was my first time seeing Sonata so yeah. The opening band was great and funny. They stopped the show to point out a guy who was txting in the front row. The second band I was looking forward to since I had met them in Vegas during the Judas Priest show. While they had great stage presence, I have to say their music sucked. But oh well that’s them. Sonata was great I just wish they changed the set a bit. Too much newer material and less great classics. DragonForce however stole the show once again with their near perfect setlists and great stage show as well. The keyboard battle was great too bad we couldn’t hear Henrik’s Keytar so he had to jump on Vadims keyboard to do his parts. Plus I did my first crowd surf at this show so that was really great. Fantasic show and I can’t wait to see both bands again.

KISS 11/25
The band that gave the best performance of the year has to end up on this list. But the reason for being so low is that the rest of the concert was a bore. The crowd was full of children and Buckcherry did little to impress me. But when the lights went down for Kiss, my concert experience made a full 180 into heaven. For a bunch of old cash hungry guys, they really give people their moneys worth, and then some. Great show and I regret not going to both dates.

Judas Priest 8/8
In the words of my friend from high school “THE PREIST IS BACK!!!” and they came back full force. This was the second time I saw them on this tour. A good trip on the bus to Vegas was taken in order to see this masterpiece of a show. Better seats then the first time too, but it just seems like the LA date was better to me.

Metallica 12/10
Fourth Metallica show and third for the death Magnetic tour. God they put on a great set! Fade to Black was enough to make my day but Battery, Trapped Under Ice, and For Whom The Bell Tolls was orgasmic!!! Even from the balcony seats I was headbanging like there was no tomorrow. Plus the fact that I share this experience with two of my best friends makes this even better. I just wish I could have caught the opening bands though…

Children of Bodom 10/11

What a great show this was! This was my last show with my then girlfriend so that was great being with her and a few of my friends came along too. I only saw one song by the first band and they sounded great. Wish I could have seen the whole thing though. Austrian Death Machine blew me away! For a hardcore band they were fantastic. Their stage show was hilarious and the band put on a great show too. Watching my friend dry hump the guitarist from behind when he was in the floor was brilliant haha. Plus them throwing milk and cookies into the crowd for “Who Told You You Could Eat My Cookies?” was too awesome. The Arnold guy even gave me a high five for crowd surfing. That was great. And that was just the opening band. Children of Bodom were amazing and really blew me away. Alexi is a great front man and a great musician as well. Their set had all my favorite songs except Needle 24/7, but I can live without that one. The crowd was intense during this show. Just one problem, whoever grabbed my sack while I was crowd surfing, please die!!

Judas Priest 8/2
This was the first time I saw them on this tour and boy did they blow me away. On of the best performances of 09 by far. Pop Evil sucked but Whitesnake was great live. Hearing is this love with my then girlfriend was kinda sweet. They’re a great band and I wouldn’t mind going to see them the next time they come around. Judas Priest proved why they are the metal gods this night. Hearing the entire British Steel album was a great treat and the last few songs were epic as well. The crowd was really into it and the Priest were just feeding off our energy. This was Priest at their best and I hope they keep this up in the future.

Hatebreed 8/18
This was one great show for mostly personal reason. Met my ex girlfriend at this show and I must say, moshing with her during Toxic Holocausts set was amazing, great moment for me. Seeing Toxic Holocaust for the first time was cool, especially since I had just got into that band not to long ago. Dying Fetus torn the place apart and their performance made me a fan. Chimaira put on a great show and even though this was my fourth time seeing them, they didn’t bore me. Had to miss Hatebreed because I walked the girl home and stayed for a while, but all in all it was very worth it. Great concert that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Heaven & Hell 8/11

This one was another special show for me other than the performances. Me and my father were never that close and we never really did anything together, so the fact that I went to this with him was very special to me. He loves Black Sabbath, I love Black Sabbath, so it was a great bonding experience. This concert would have probably made my list for that reason alone, even if the band sucked, but hell no they didn’t. Who would have known people that old can have such stage presence. Dio ruled the Greek Theater that day and his voice sounded better than ever. I enjoyed this performance way better than their performance at Metal Masters. I really don’t care what people may say about the long Heaven and Hell version they do live, I loved it and I sang along to each word. This show was amazing and it was a great night for me.

Cypress Hill’s Smokeout 10/24

Now usually a concert where you can’t remember what happened would suck, but this one was awesome. I was all hammered even before I got into the venue, and things just got worse from there. I never thought I would have so much fun during a rap performance (probably was the weed) but I did. Missed most of sublime due to taking forever to get into the venue, that was my only regret. All the performers I did see were awesome though. Method Man and Red man busting out some old Wu-Tang stuff was cool, and Kottenmouth Kings were very good. I really wanted to see Slipknot but the lawn wasn’t that fun so I jammed to the second stage to enjoy Bad Brains. Crowd surfing high is great haha I just had to say it. Yeah, everyone I know and even I got trashed at this show but oh well, I had a blast (from what I remember). I know I did from the wicked hangover and the fact that I woke up with a new girlfriend haha too good.

Danzig 12/19

A great line-up for only $5, you can’t go wrong with that! And the great thing was that there were so many of my friends there. Before the show I kicked it at the beach which is always good with friends. I also got to drink with Andrew haha the show itself was great. Suicidal Tendencies were great and blew me away for my first time seeing them. I was not a big Pennywise fan but they were really good and the pits were too brutal for me. Then came time for Danzig. Not a big fan of there’s too but once again this bands first performance for me and they were great. This was my first show on the floor of an arena show and damn how much it hurt. But I didn’t mind because the show was great. Good times with a bunch of my best friends. There should be more $5 shows that are this good!

Kreator 5/1
My first road trip for a show and it was great. Although it was a small trip to San Diego, it sure as hell was worth it! Warbringer kicked ass and made me a fan and their performance was killer being on the rail. Exodus killed it as an opener even though I thought it wasn’t gonna work. But they were great as an opener and actually made it fell like they were headlining. Kreator of course put on a great performance, one of the best all year. Their sound was too clean, sounded like I was listening to the record. These guys are the kings of German thrash and they proved it this night. Great road trip, great concert, great experience. I wanna do it all over again.

Trivium/Hatebreed 11/28
One of the best concert experiences ever. I cannot thank you enough Andrew for taking me with you. Getting to go backstage and on tour buses was just amazing, especially Chimaira’s since all the members were in there. Meeting Rob was great. I want your job! The show itself was really good too. Sadly, I had to miss Hate Eternal’s set but it was all worth it. Chimaira did a great performance but I felt like I have seen better from them. Cannibal Corpse though, they were brutal. They were better at Mayhem but they still put on a killer show this night. Corpsegrinder’s stage presence is second to none and god I wish I could headbang like he does. The guy must have so many neck problems, or maybe he is used to it by now. I left after their set but even though I only saw three bands (Unearth too), this show was still great. Take me to more shows Andrew!

Megadeth 12/13
Long epic road trip!! Best journey of the year by far. From L.A. to Vegas for one show, with one of my best friends. The day of the show was great. My aunt made us breakfast so no money spend there. From there we went to the strip for some sight seeing. Great times in Vegas. Next we got drunk in the car haha I was shocked that I drank seven beers as I’m a light weight. Then off we went to the show. Suicide Silence didn’t turn up so that was great. Warbringer killed all the posers plain and simple. One of the best performances of the year by far. Megadeth was great too but you guys all know what happened to me so yeah. After the show, me and my friend into some lost car problems too. Even though it seems like a huge disaster, this show makes my list this high just for the experience of the adventure of it all. I wanna go on another epic metal adventure again soon!

Mayhem Festival 7/12
A day full of metal, what can be better? Mayhem fest was the best show ever for everything it had to offer. The atmosphere, the huge crowd, the bands, the booths…etc. all the bands (that I saw) put on great performances. Behemoth kicked ass and started off my day great. Cannibal Corpse almost killed me, but that was all good. Slayer were gods! This whole show was special in every way from the moment I left the house to the moment I got in the car to go home. I will keep going to these shows even if the bill sucks ass.