Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I think the one that had me on the floor was Europe. You are talking about the one hit wonder with the worst use of keyboards in the history of modern music right?

Who knew these clowns were still around, let alone making music anyone under the age of 60 would want to hear? Maybe they're big across the pond but in America they are the punchline of jokes and only played by band geeks at basketball games.
First of all, thanks for backing up what you were thinking instead of taking the all-too-common "You don't agree with me, therefore you suck" angle.

Not only are Europe still around (admittedly after a lengthy gap), they've made three great albums in a row between 2005 and 2009, with the newest being the best, they're way heavier now, far less keyboards, and they've fantastic live.

They'll always been a joke for their '80s material (most of those songs still sound like shit live, even heavied up, and their crowds are utterly hilarious - no clue the '80s have ended), but they're a totally different prospect now. Listen before judging.

Quote:
You mention Alice in Chains and I can't see how anyone couldn't get the soul and emotion on that cd. Well, maybe I can because it took me 10 listens but once I got it I was enthralled.
Absolutely agree that as far as genuine feeling in the writing goes, this was UP THERE. But, I just felt they could have done it to a lot better music. The songs were some of the most heartfelt and genuine I've heard all year, but the music was pretty boring. And I'm a huge AIC fan. I saw them on the tiny European promo tour before the album came out, in London at a small venue, and they were fucking incredible.

Quote:
I only heard about 1/3rd of tte cd's you listed but some never even got a 2nd listen due to horrific lyrics or just being boring and plodding.

Is there anything on that list that is fast or has some balls and you would recommend to a Slayer fan?
Yes: Suicidal Angels (German, second album) and Savage Messiah (English, debut). Best thrash albums I've heard all year, ahead of Lazarus A.D. and Kreator. And how stoked am I that they're the supporting bill on the Killfest in Europe

And from my "honourable mentions" list, try the Obituary, Paradox, Ravage and Tenet ones. Tenet, if you hadn't heard, is Steve Souza, original Testament vocalist from when they were called Legacy, and the second Exodus vocalist, plus Jed Simon and Byron Stroud from Strapping Young Lad, Glen Alvelais from Forbidden and Gene Hoglan.

As for the rest:

If you're not really a doom fan you can write off Katatonia, The 11th Hour, Jupiter Society, Candlemass, Paradise Lost, Forsaken, Nomad Son, Semlah and Memory Driven. It's been an absolutely unbelievable year for doom music, but if you're not a fan, obviously you won't agree.

Naughty Boys and Innocent Rosie are sleaze-rock, both Swedish, Nightvision are English hard rock. Gunfire 76 is Wednesday 13 and Todd Youth from The Chelsea Smiles doing old school '70s rock (Ramones, Alice Cooper, KISS etc.) - originals, not covers.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 01-03-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Headbanger

Cool deal. Checking out Suicidal Angels now. Definitely my kinda stuff
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
I think the one that had me on the floor was Europe. You are talking about the one hit wonder with the worst use of keyboards in the history of modern music right?

Who knew these clowns were still around, let alone making music anyone under the age of 60 would want to hear? Maybe they're big across the pond but in America they are the punchline of jokes and only played by band geeks at basketball games.
Dude, have you ever even heard more Europe than The Final Countdown?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

The Final Countdown is awesome, first of all.