Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
So you're telling me that you can list a thousand songs, all of which are better than the ones listed by AC/DC, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (just to name a few) in this list? Really? A thousand. Whatever.

I'm sorry, but this kind of stuff just sets off my bullshit detector something fierce.
Considering I have around 7000 songs in my music library: yes, and very, very, easily.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
There's more than Iron Maiden in the world, and - dare I say it? - there's more than just metal to listen to as well. There are lots of really good songs in that list (a lot of shitty ones, too - but still).
THIS. i hate getting shit from metalheads because i listen to non-metal bands also or some metal bands that aren't considered TRUE to elitists metalhead assholes.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
There's more than Iron Maiden in the world
True, but they're all that really matters in the end.

Oh, and I'd have to agree with those saying they only like a handful of songs here. Very, very shit list. Zep, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Jimi, and one or two others are the only things here I give two shits about.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Concert Veteran

I like Pink floyd and I'm by no means a huge fan of their's and I know this list is just an opinion. But only putting Comfortably Numb at 960 in the top 1000 songs of all time makes this list a joke. That song should at least make the top 500 and not be that low.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
OK, let me put it this way. I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend on this board over the last few months (and let's be honest...it's probably always been the case to one extent or the other), for people to notice the smallest defect in a group's output over a certain time period (Slayer and Metallica in the late 90's and early 00's, for example), and just pile on the collective bandwagon of ripping on them forver and ever, dismissing all the work that they did during said era and everything they will ever do again.

I just think this is nothing but trend-following, close-minded nonsense. I'm sorry, but every band, everywhere, regardless of genre or popular status, puts out a crap album once in a while...INCLUDING THE ALMIGHTY IRON MAIDEN (yeah, I said it).

Get off your high horses already and listen to each album, each song, on its own merit. Does it entertain you? Honestly? If not, then just move on. Listen to something else. Maybe give the band another chance down the line, though - especially if you found a whole lot to like at one time.

I just can't stand all the grandstanding going on around here sometimes. People seem to very easily fall into the easy pattern of ripping on things other people seem to want to rip on, and sometimes I just think it's because they can, or to get attention or to seem like they know something about something, when if they are half as smart as they think they are, they would realize that all the snootiness about music that's "beneath them" just makes them come off looking pretentious, arrogant or just plain bitchy.

I'm not necessarily directing these comments at anyone in particular (although I could think of a few folks to which they apply very well, especially as of late), but more trying to express an alternative opinion that, although no one should feel "obligated" to like something because others do, they should also try to maybe not stand around being negative about stuff because other people are doing the same thing, too. That's being just as much of a follower as one of the so-called "mindless sheep" who listen to that oh-so-evil, oh-so-ridiculous genre called "pop" (GASP!) once in a great while.

I love the fuck out of metal. I always will. There's lots of stuff I don't like. I express that every once in a while - but I don't stand around being a Negative Nancy all the time becuase it makes people pay attention to me or think I'm smart. If I like a pop sog, I'll admit it - I've got nothing to hide. What I don't want to ever happen is to die from internal hemmorhaging because of the stick jammed up my ass.

I like to keep my options open - that way, I get to enjoy a whole lot more in life. That's all I'm saying.

The bottom line: Disagreeing with trends or the status quo every once in a while is fine, especially if you make good arguments. Being a negative bitch all the time because you think it makes you look cool or smart just makes you look like an ass.

(Above comment directed at no one in particular - honestly - just think about it, is all I humbly ask.)
Dude, firstly, you've been registered here 9 months. Don't act like you've been here a long time and seen trends come and go. I've been here for over 4 years now, and there are some of us who've been here longer. Frankly, to me, you're still new.

I don't only listen to metal, I have a number of weaknesses in other genres. However, very very little of it is anything anyone around here wants to talk about, and absolutely none of it is on this list.
That being said, I have very strong tastes and opinions regarding music. I can't stand trendy bandwagon jumpers, and am admittedly very stuck in my ways. That being said, I have absolutely no problem giving some bands respect for what they've done for music as a whole or their respective genres. A great case in point here would be The Beatles. At most I actually like a couple of songs, but I totally give them the respect they deserve in the big picture.
HOWEVER, I don't believe in this "We have to respect everyone" bullshit, because frankly, some bands don't deserve it. Truth is, some bands just suck. At least in my opinion, and I am willing to admit that, and I'm not wrong for doing that. People on the opposite end of the musical spectrum are free to think the music I love sucks.
My biggest issue that as much as you can't stand this behavior you're speaking of, I can't stand this forced openmindedness some people like to try to guilt-trip others into. I like what I like, and that's that. I don't have to pretend I love everything else so I can appear to be a superior music listener. I'm not saying none of the songs on this list are good, but I don't like them, and I don't have to, and that's that.

I probably could've worded all of this better and elaborated more, but I'm pressed for time, I just got home from work and gotta get in the shower and go out.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Is that the exact same post copied and pasted? Or was this the original and the other is the copy? I can't be bothered to check the timestamps, it's still irrelevant.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 12-31-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Is it some sort of listening party regarding the forthcoming Masterplan album?

I am only suspicious considering I wasn't aware it was that close to completion.
Yes. It's a listening session with Roland Grapow. They don't have a title yet, apparently, but it is finished. Perhaps not the final mix, I won't know until I hear it.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
If this were an American list, there'd be some goddamned Sleater-Kinney
I'd been thinking along these lines too. It's a very English list. I'm fairly sure the Stone Roses wouldn't have a single song on an American-voted list.

I expect to be able to post the next 100 songs tomorrow. Seems like they all fucked off early to celebrate NYE today and didn't bother posting them.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
THIS. i hate getting shit from metalheads because i listen to non-metal bands also or some metal bands that aren't considered TRUE to elitists metalhead assholes.
I don't at all because I don't get shit for it. If you can reason your listening, people don't argue. Unless they're twelve with plastic haircut, an MCR sweatband on their wrist and have their wallet on the end of an oh-so-metal chain, of course. But I tend to tune them out.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Dude, firstly, you've been registered here 9 months. Don't act like you've been here a long time and seen trends come and go. I've been here for over 4 years now, and there are some of us who've been here longer. Frankly, to me, you're still new.
Fair enough. I'm still new. That's exactly why I said:

"I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend on this board over the last few months (and let's be honest...it's probably always been the case to one extent or the other)..."

I was openly admitting I haven't been here to observe all the trends.

In response to the rest of your post, believe it or not, I agree with most of what you said. It was well-stated for the most part and I really can't disagree with anything, save for a few places where you made some inpterpretations of what I was trying to say which were not accurate. Case in point: I also do not believe that there should be a forced acceptance on anyone's part to pander to things that you simply don't like. In fact, that would be absurd. I just said that I like to try and stay positive about the possibilities of a band - or even a genre - that I haven't liked for some time - or maybe ever - because I never know what will come out of the woodwork and surprise me. I just can't stand all the grandstanding and negativity by certain folks all the time. Maybe I read too much into a few individual posts and this is what prompted me to speak my mind, and if I am wrong about that, then I stand corrected. I don't think I'm wrong about the trend towards being overly critical for the sake of appearing enlightened, though. I've seen enough evidence of that around here that I will stand firmly on that opinion until well after I stop posting on this site, whenever that may be.

I'm not trying to swoop in here and change the world or change everybody's opinions to match my own - please don't misunderstand. I'm nowhere near that important, and I think the world would be a pretty dull place if everyone agreed with my opinions. I just felt like something needed to be said, and I've already received some indications of agreement to that effect, so I'm pretty sure I didn't miss the mark by too much.

Thanks for the spirited debate, and again, your responses are valid and well-stated.

Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-31-2009 at 05:31 PM.