Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Yeah, mine were mostly the Aerosmith, AC/DC and GN'R ones. Hendrix, Zeppelin, one of the Foos ones, Depeche Mode, three Paul Weller, one of the Stones ones... erm... I forget now... Soundgarden, a couple of the T-Rex, Jane's Addiction, Tenacious D...
is the bit about Masterplan in your signature what I think it is?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

42 songs that I consider good. 0 that I would even think about putting in a top 1000 songs of all time list.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
N00B

Who knew Kings of Leon were so important to the history of music?
5/23 MDF
7/20 QOTSA
7/30 NINSG
Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
is the bit about Masterplan in your signature what I think it is?
I suppose that depends on what you think it is... but it's what it says, if that helps

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
I suppose that depends on what you think it is... but it's what it says, if that helps
Is it some sort of listening party regarding the forthcoming Masterplan album?

I am only suspicious considering I wasn't aware it was that close to completion.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
At most, I like 7 songs out of those 600.
Quote:
29 for me.
You guys are kidding me, right? Either you're both trolling like crazy, having your period, temporarily insane, or you need to get out a whole lot more. There's more than Iron Maiden in the world, and - dare I say it? - there's more than just metal to listen to as well. There are lots of really good songs in that list (a lot of shitty ones, too - but still).

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, The Cure, The Clash, The Who, The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Daft Punk, U2, Pixies, Garbage, RHCP, White Stripes, The Fucking Ramones, etc. etc. etc. - are you serious?!? Twenty nine? SEVEN?

EDIT: ...and then there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
42 songs that I consider good. 0 that I would even think about putting in a top 1000 songs of all time list.
So you're telling me that you can list a thousand songs, all of which are better than the ones listed by AC/DC, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (just to name a few) in this list? Really? A thousand. Whatever.

I'm sorry, but this kind of stuff just sets off my bullshit detector something fierce.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-30-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Pink Floyd, Nirvana, The Cure, The Clash, The Who, The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Daft Punk, U2, Pixies, Garbage, RHCP, White Stripes, The Fucking Ramones
I don't like any of these bands. And why should I? I know everyone feels obligated to like a bunch of them, but why? How about, I don't know, a personal opinion, rather than the mass one?

RHCP are the most formulaic band on the planet. Well, second maybe to U2. Yes, it's their own formula, so they therefore deserve one song each in this list. But no more, because all of the rest are carbon copies.

Garbage? Seriously. No. One dimensional, tedious band. Same goes for The Ramones. The White Stripes are presumably in there as a joke? And Nirvana were a terrible band. I will die eternally disappointed that it's taken this long and people still have woken up to this. They wrote two great songs, both of which will probably crack the top 200, and I'd probably consider them both in my list as well, but the rest was trash.

I didn't say I'd necessarily pick the songs in the list I like, either. There's no way I'd have a single AC/DC song in the list. As much as I like AC/DC. Maybe one of the Bon Scott ones, but certainly nothing from any of the Johnson albums.

Later on I'm expecting the Who, The Jam, Oasis and R.E.M. songs I actually like to come up, but so far none of them have (except 'Orange Crush'). I doubt any of the best Stones songs will come up (except 'Wild Horses').

And pick out all the obligatory legends you want, but 90% of that list so far is still utter nonsense. The Zutons, Keane, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Snow Patrol, The Subways, Cold War Kids, Fall Out Boy, The Gossip, The Enemy, Ladyhawke, The Cribs, Starsailor, Editors, The Courteeners, The Fratellis, Biffy Clyro, Interpol, The Streets, Razorlight, Plain White Tees, Bloc Party, We Are Scientists, Hard-Fi, Kate Nash, Maximo Park, Friendly Fires, 30 Seconds To Mars... and that's only 1000 down to 700.

None of these bands deserve to be anywhere near a list like this (and nor do Foo Fighters, by the way). And certainly not multiple times as most of them are. Unless the list is "Top 1000 Songs of The Last Five Minutes".

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan

Last edited by ravenheart; 12-31-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
So you're telling me that you can list a thousand songs, all of which are better than the ones listed by AC/DC, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (just to name a few) in this list? Really? A thousand. Whatever.
Given the number of songs that exist, one thousand really isn't that many. So yes, probably quite easily.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

OK, let me put it this way. I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend on this board over the last few months (and let's be honest...it's probably always been the case to one extent or the other), for people to notice the smallest defect in a group's output over a certain time period (Slayer and Metallica in the late 90's and early 00's, for example), and just pile on the collective bandwagon of ripping on them forver and ever, dismissing all the work that they did during said era and everything they will ever do again.

I just think this is nothing but trend-following, close-minded nonsense. I'm sorry, but every band, everywhere, regardless of genre or popular status, puts out a crap album once in a while...INCLUDING THE ALMIGHTY IRON MAIDEN (yeah, I said it).

Get off your high horses already and listen to each album, each song, on its own merit. Does it entertain you? Honestly? If not, then just move on. Listen to something else. Maybe give the band another chance down the line, though - especially if you found a whole lot to like at one time.

I just can't stand all the grandstanding going on around here sometimes. People seem to very easily fall into the easy pattern of ripping on things other people seem to want to rip on, and sometimes I just think it's because they can, or to get attention or to seem like they know something about something, when if they are half as smart as they think they are, they would realize that all the snootiness about music that's "beneath them" just makes them come off looking pretentious, arrogant or just plain bitchy.

I'm not necessarily directing these comments at anyone in particular (although I could think of a few folks to which they apply very well, especially as of late), but more trying to express an alternative opinion that, although no one should feel "obligated" to like something because others do, they should also try to maybe not stand around being negative about stuff because other people are doing the same thing, too. That's being just as much of a follower as one of the so-called "mindless sheep" who listen to that oh-so-evil, oh-so-ridiculous genre called "pop" (GASP!) once in a great while.

I love the fuck out of metal. I always will. There's lots of stuff I don't like. I express that every once in a while - but I don't stand around being a Negative Nancy all the time becuase it makes people pay attention to me or think I'm smart. If I like a pop sog, I'll admit it - I've got nothing to hide. What I don't want to ever happen is to die from internal hemmorhaging because of the stick jammed up my ass.

I like to keep my options open - that way, I get to enjoy a whole lot more in life. That's all I'm saying.

The bottom line: Disagreeing with trends or the status quo every once in a while is fine, especially if you make good arguments. Being a negative bitch all the time because you think it makes you look cool or smart just makes you look like an ass.

(Above comment directed at no one in particular - honestly - just think about it, is all I humbly ask.)
Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

If this were an American list, there'd be some goddamned Sleater-Kinney

I'm gonna assume that the reason there isn't more Pixies songs on here is that they're all higher up on the list. That'd better be the case, anyways. Also very happy with all of the Clash songs.