Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Altars of Radness

Decrepit Birth - Polarity

Well, I bought the album last weekend at the Summer Slaughter Tour and have since listened to it about 15 times. So, I think it's time I write about it...

RATING: 8/10

After releasing an astounding record in 2008, the California technical death metal band Decrepit Birth has returned with their third full length album, Polarity. With their previous release, Diminishing Between Worlds, the band began to move away from the straightforward brutality of ...And Time Begins. Many of the fans applauded the progression of their style, but some rejected it, leading to a lukewarm reception. The band had created their own sound within the genre, which allowed them to expand their fan base further into the realms of metal. Polarity continues this trend, with even more progressive and technical songwriting, but maintains the overall feel of Diminishing Between Worlds.

Polarity has intense solos and instrumental passages that will transport you beyond our planet and into the expanse of space and time, making it a challenge to completely digest in a single listen. Guitarist Matt Sotelo perfectly combines elements of melody and technicality in each track, with a tinge of brutality. While there is plenty of exceptional guitar work, many of the songs feel too brief. In general, their lengths do not allow for them to progress enough to reach their full potential, which may leave the listener slightly dissatisfied and wanting more. Also, there is a noticeable issue with the production. The bass guitar is particularly low in the mix, making it almost inaudible. Many death metal albums suffer from this, nevertheless, it still greatly detracts from the music as a whole.

To back up Matt's methodical riffs, KC Howard pulls off some incredibly precise and difficult patterns on his kit. With KC's accelerating double bass, concentrated blast beats, and acute fills there is never a dull moment. The only issue that arises is due to the production, once again. It can be straining to hear all of the cymbal work, as it is quite low in the mix as well. Otherwise, the drums sound perfectly sharp.

It is necessary to balance out the talent of Matt and KC with some equally adept vocals, and Bill Robinson does just that. The low growls never feel tiring throughout the album. Lyrically, Bill has preserved his esoteric writing style, which keeps it interesting and original in terms of metal. When Bill's vocals are combined with the other aspects of the band the product is truly authentic metal.

While the album is definitely one of high quality, it does have flaws. While some of these troubles are due to the production, others are due to lack of song structure. Aside from that, Matt's occasional synthesizer programming (specifically on "A Brief Odyssey In Time") can be annoying and feel terribly misplaced. While Polarity takes the band a step forward in terms of progressive material, it takes a step backward in songwriting and production, causing it to fall short of surpassing the band's crowning achievement, Diminishing Between Worlds.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned Asshole

i thought it was awesome. i honestly didn't expect much more than a straightforward death metal effort, and what I got exceeded my expectations. The songs are jampacked with content and creativity. This disc helps to set Decrepit Birth in a tier seperate from most bands in the death metal genre.

I highly reoommend this album.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
W While there is plenty of exceptional guitar work, many of the songs feel too brief. In general, their lengths do not allow for them to progress enough to reach their full potential, which may leave the listener slightly dissatisfied and wanting more.
Good to see I'm not the only one that noticed this. This album has the feel of a progressive record without the progressive song lengths, which as you pointed out really leaves one wanting more. It really is a shame because some songs, most noticeably to me Solar Impulse and Sea of Memories, have the potential to be true epics but end just as the song seems to get going.

Good review for a great album, despite some obvious issues.

Still can't wait to see them in a few weeks though

Last edited by NecroRob; 07-24-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Very nice, tidy review. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Polarity has intense solos and instrumental passages that will transport you beyond our planet and into the expanse of space and time
This is superlame

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 AM

is the new album THAT good? i've been hearing very positive reviews on this album lately. i really liked Dimishing Between Worlds but i really didn't like the first album at all. i should really give this a listen.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I think, as a modern death metal release, it's pretty refreshing. Despite their look and their lame, it isn't ultra-brutal death metal, but it actually has some nice technical parts and combines tech and brutal death and almost slips into melodeath a few times. I do think the latter half of the album is kinda stagnate, but DB should do an amazing album next time, granted they take the momentum with this album and work on it.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
is the new album THAT good? i've been hearing very positive reviews on this album lately. i really liked Dimishing Between Worlds but i really didn't like the first album at all. i should really give this a listen.
If you like DBW, you will definitely like this album too.