Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I am going to start the album countdown tommorow or Saturday. I am going to rate all 70 albums i have listened to this year. I am in the process of ranking them right now and it is a pretty hard task. I will be posting other assorted lists throughout the duration of my countdown as well. Stay tuned my metal brothers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
oh god. Are you gonna post one big list or break it up into chunks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
70 is a lot yo.
I'm probably gonna have even more than 70.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Due to the length of this list and the fact i'm still taking about shitty albums i am just going to post the next 3 and not do write up's. The list will be coming a lot more rapidly in the next week or so due to the fact that i get out of school for winter break on Wednesday.

Anyways here are the Top 10 Live performances i have seen this year.

10. Behemoth (8/4)

To be honest i have never been more surprised about great of a performance a band gives than Behemoth. I was complete non-fan of the band untill i saw them live. They completely dominated and now I love their music!
Highlights Of The Set
1.Chant For Ezkaton 200
2.Conquer All
3.I Got Erection

9. Unearth (12/19)

A really killer set from them. I think they turned up the intensity on this performance because its their hometown. Flawless and every song was balls-out amazing.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Sanctity Of Brothers
2.Crow Killer
3.Endless

8.Mastodon (5/7)

Best performance i have seen from them. The 2nd set of their older material was the highlight.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Megalodon
2.Iron Tusk
3.Bladecatcher

7. In Flames (10/3)

First time seeing them and I was floored. Energy was off-the walls and Anders is a hillarious frontman.

Highlights Of the set
1.Only For The Weak
2.Square Nothing
3.Pinball Map

6. As I Lay Dying (4/18)

I gained an immense of respect for this band after this performance. Tim Lambesis is a fucking madman and their songs are very powerful and much better live.

Highlights Of the set

1.Confined
2.94 Hours
3.The Sound Of Truth

5.(tie) Killswitch Engage/The Black Dahlia Murder (8/4)

I really can't pick between the two. Both were fucking awesome. Many find Killswitch's live show annoying and i completely see why people think that but I found them to be beyond entertaining and they played very well.

Black Dahlia just owned the stage. Trevor Strnad was much sharper vocally this time i saw them then the first. Proably the best performance on the two side stages of Mayhem Fest this year.

Highlights Of The Set

KSE
1.End Of Heartache
2.A Bid Farewell
3.My Last Serenade

BDM
1.A Vulgar Picture
2.What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
3.Miamsa

4.Hatebreed (12/19)

Jamey Jasta is one of the best frontmen in metal hands down and the intensity of their live show is pretty much unmatched.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Doomsayer
2.Everyone Bleeds Now
3.Destroy Everything

3.Between The Buried And Me (10/3)

Even while ill Between The Buried And Me is one of the best live bands in metal. Tommy Rogers and Blake Richardson were both fighting illness and still came out and played a better set than the 1st time I saw them. Can not wait to see them headline for the first time in January.

Highlights Of The Set
1.All Bodies
2.Selkies:The Endless Obession
3.White Walls

2.Lamb Of God(4/18)

Plain and simple Lamb Of God is an elite live band not much else to say.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Walk With Me In Hell
2.Broken Hands
3.Hourglass

1.Slayer (8/4)

I honestly can't believe i have seen these legends live. An absolutely awe-inspring moment in my metal show experience. They were so fucking awesome that words really can't describe it.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Raining Blood
2.Ghosts Of War
3.Angel Of Death

Honorable Mentions: Cannibal Corpse (12/19), Exodus (4/10),Intronaut (5/7),Kylesa (5/7), Devildriver (8/15)

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Here are the next albums in my list. As i previously mentioned no write-ups on these ones

64. Weezer-Ratitude

63. Bury Your Dead- It's Nothing Personal

62.Unholy-New Life Behind Closed Eyes

Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Honorable Mentions: Cannibal Corpse (12/19), Exodus (4/10), Intronaut (5/7), Kylesa (5/7), Devildriver (8/15)
I'm really glad to see someone like you appreciating Kylesa...nicely done.

HOWEVER...

Seeing some love for a band like IntrOnaut on your list just makes me fucking want to hug you (in a non-gay way, of course ).

Da Naut is in da hizzy!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I'm really glad to see someone like you appreciating Kylesa...nicely done.

HOWEVER...

Seeing some love for a band like IntrOnaut on your list just makes me fucking want to hug you (in a non-gay way, of course ).

Da Naut is in da hizzy!!!

Thanks bro i was very impressed with their performance. I honestly like just about every genre of metal and I have seen a very wide range of performers this year and they were for sure one of the best.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks bro i was very impressed with their performance. I honestly like just about every genre of metal and I have seen a very wide range of performers this year and they were for sure one of the best.
The best stuff from that set you saw was from their latest album Prehistoricisms...I highly recommend it.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Visualize perfection

Quote:

69. Rose Funeral-The Resting Sonata

As I am fan of a handful of deathcore bands I went into this album with open mind. Sadly this album just reinforces why most deathcore is fucking terrible. Some of the most generic,craptastic breakdown-filled shit i have heard in a while. I mean really have no big issue with breakdowns but the ones on this album are really poorly done. Rose Funeral is one of the reasons that deathcore is one of the most dreaded words in all of metal.
+A number so gigantic no one could ever imagine of even counting to it. They suck so much, every member is douchetastic, and whichever member's name is ryan likes having youtube comment wars with people who don't like his piece of shit band. Hands down the worst fucking band I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through in concert. And I saw Audio Adrenaline at a water park...
Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Due to the length of this list and the fact i'm still taking about shitty albums i am just going to post the next 3 and not do write up's. The list will be coming a lot more rapidly in the next week or so due to the fact that i get out of school for winter break on Wednesday.

Anyways here are the Top 10 Live performances i have seen this year.

10. Behemoth (8/4)

To be honest i have never been more surprised about great of a performance a band gives than Behemoth. I was complete non-fan of the band untill i saw them live. They completely dominated and now I love their music!
Highlights Of The Set
1.Chant For Ezkaton 200
2.Conquer All
3.I Got Erection

9. Unearth (12/19)

A really killer set from them. I think they turned up the intensity on this performance because its their hometown. Flawless and every song was balls-out amazing.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Sanctity Of Brothers
2.Crow Killer
3.Endless

8.Mastodon (5/7)

Best performance i have seen from them. The 2nd set of their older material was the highlight.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Megalodon
2.Iron Tusk
3.Bladecatcher

7. In Flames (10/3)

First time seeing them and I was floored. Energy was off-the walls and Anders is a hillarious frontman.

Highlights Of the set
1.Only For The Weak
2.Square Nothing
3.Pinball Map

6. As I Lay Dying (4/18)

I gained an immense of respect for this band after this performance. Tim Lambesis is a fucking madman and their songs are very powerful and much better live.

Highlights Of the set

1.Confined
2.94 Hours
3.The Sound Of Truth

5.(tie) Killswitch Engage/The Black Dahlia Murder (8/4)

I really can't pick between the two. Both were fucking awesome. Many find Killswitch's live show annoying and i completely see why people think that but I found them to be beyond entertaining and they played very well.

Black Dahlia just owned the stage. Trevor Strnad was much sharper vocally this time i saw them then the first. Proably the best performance on the two side stages of Mayhem Fest this year.

Highlights Of The Set

KSE
1.End Of Heartache
2.A Bid Farewell
3.My Last Serenade

BDM
1.A Vulgar Picture
2.What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
3.Miamsa

4.Hatebreed (12/19)

Jamey Jasta is one of the best frontmen in metal hands down and the intensity of their live show is pretty much unmatched.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Doomsayer
2.Everyone Bleeds Now
3.Destroy Everything

3.Between The Buried And Me (10/3)

Even while ill Between The Buried And Me is one of the best live bands in metal. Tommy Rogers and Blake Richardson were both fighting illness and still came out and played a better set than the 1st time I saw them. Can not wait to see them headline for the first time in January.

Highlights Of The Set
1.All Bodies
2.Selkies:The Endless Obession
3.White Walls

2.Lamb Of God(4/18)

Plain and simple Lamb Of God is an elite live band not much else to say.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Walk With Me In Hell
2.Broken Hands
3.Hourglass

1.Slayer (8/4)

I honestly can't believe i have seen these legends live. An absolutely awe-inspring moment in my metal show experience. They were so fucking awesome that words really can't describe it.

Highlights Of The Set
1.Raining Blood
2.Ghosts Of War
3.Angel Of Death

Honorable Mentions: Cannibal Corpse (12/19), Exodus (4/10),Intronaut (5/7),Kylesa (5/7), Devildriver (8/15)
I know As I lay Dying take some bashing on this board but they were incredible live when I saw them. The drummer put on a clinic that day.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The best stuff from that set you saw was from their latest album Prehistoricisms...I highly recommend it.

I already listened to it a couple months back and it's a killer record. My favorite song by them is either The Challenger or The Literal Black Cloud.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

61. Trigger The Bloodshed-The Great Depression

Pretty generic shit on this one. A couple songs are pretty solid and they have some nice solos from time to time. Overall though its a pretty middle of the road death metal record.

60. The Devil Wears Prada-With Roots Above And Branches Below

I aware of the hatered this band recieves(and they deserve it for the most part) and I would always defend them because they are one of my guilty pleasure bands. They do deserve some hate for this album. I don't think its awful by any means but they are some song (Louder Than Thunder,Dez Moines,Assiantant To The Regional Manager) really blow hard. Luckily there is a few tracks that are good but this album is nothing more than above average.
Standout Tracks
1.Lord Xenu
2.Danger:Wildman
3.Big Wiggly Style

59.The Mars Volta-Ocatahedron

Far and away the biggest letdown of 2009 for me. This band made 2 of the best album's of the decade (Frances The Mute and Amputechtrue) and another very good record last year in Bedlam in Goliath. This album just didn't do for the most part for me. The songs are just no where near as good or innovative then on past records.

Standout Tracks
1.Teflon
2.Desprate Graves
3.With Twlight As My Guide