Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I just got the Saviours album a couple days ago.

It's so awesome!
11/12 - Eyehategod
12/05 - Alien Ant Farm (what)
Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 PM

also: you know about mum?
11/12 - Eyehategod
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
also: you know about mum?
Hellz yeah - I was way into their older stuff, where they had those two twin sisters as vocalists (I forget their names, but they were very..."Icelandic" as I remember). That stuff was way more trippy and electronic than their current stuff, which is very experimental and somewhat more "natural" sounding (read: less technology-based), but it's still very eclectic stuff. Entertaining as hell when I'm in the right mood. Would love to see them live one day.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The problem for me is, I was around when Kreator first came out, and the new stuff is nothing like that. Just like the Carcass conversations we've had in the past, I'm stuck thinking that the "old" sound is the way they "should" sound. It certainly wasn't a BAD album - truth be told, I liked almost everything on my list to some degree.
I kind of agree here. Mille is almost like Tom Araya in his vocal style has gotten a little annoying with the yelling. It would be one thing if he's done that his whole career, but he didn't. He started out with this terrifying nazi () growl and now...meh.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
N00B

Quote:
70. Saviours – Accelerated Living
When people ask me what this band sounds like (which they often do, because they tour like crazy and have been attached to quite a few good shows which have come through the area where I live), I usually find myself at a bit of a loss. The funny part is, this band is not complicated at all – they are simply high energy and fun – it’s just putting it into words that’s sometimes difficult. Basically, Saviours is a stoner / doom band, but their tempo is almost like a punk band’s would be (and the punk comparisons don’t end there, either). Think “High on Fire”, but lighter and maybe a bit faster overall. There is also a bit of thrashiness present from time to time, primarily in some of the drum beats. Saviours is as fun as D.R.I., but with thicker riffs like Black Sabbath – does that make any sense? Probably not, but if you listen to them you might understand what I mean. At any rate, this album is every bit as good as their previous work – in fact, it’s probably their best album to date. This is a good, solid piece of upbeat stoner metal with just enough punk and thrash to keep the mood light – and the pace is steady and quick.
I think with this one they shedded a lot of High on Fire-lite stuff (comes up mainly in the last 2 songs) in favor of a thrash-meets-NWOBHM thing, lots of Tank and early Tygers of Pan Tang riffs here. The mood is kinda upbeat and light I guess in certain parts ("FGT"), but the vibe and visuals I get in general are dark and mysterious, evoking the primal metal spirit of music like Angel Witch, Mercyful Fate, etc. Also "The Rope of Carnal Knowledge" is some of the best Lizzy worship I've heard Definitely their best album so far, almost put it in my top 10 for the year.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

I really hope Goatwhore does blow up they deserve it. Personally I am huge fan of theirs and think they are one of the top extreme-metal acts right now.
12/21 TRC/DI
12/27 Four Year Strong

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
However, it’s just not the type of sound I just can’t wait to get back to and hear again. Like what I hear? Yup. Compelled to listen again? Not really.
that's how i feel about a good MAJORITY of extreme metal bands. i'll listen to something and i like what i hear, the musicians are talented, i wouldn't mind seeing the band live, but i really have no desire AT ALL to listen to them again.

a lot of times seeing a band changes my mind though. or sometimes my music tastes evolve as in one day i'll listen to a band and find them good but have no desire to listen to them again, but maybe a few months or years later i'll listen to the same band and then i find them amazing and want to listen to them again. that's how i got into a lot of bands.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Headbanger

I really liked the Saviours too. 2009 was definitely the year of sludge.
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Time for another installment of "the list that just won't hurry up and get finished already!"

69. Cattle Decapitation – The Harvest Floor
I love to tell people that the guys in Cattle Decapitation are militant vegans – it confuses the hell out of them. Once you understand, though, that the gore-obsessed artwork and lyrics are about what the band hates (as opposed to what they might otherwise seem to love), the picture of what Cattle Decap are all about becomes amazingly more clear. After understanding this, it is easy to see where all the brutal aggression in their sound comes from. This group does a very good job of infusing sound samples and other goodies into their modern death metal sound tapestry to create some pretty compelling music. They are all truly talented musicians, too. This is a solid, progressive album from this band. Guest appearances by the inimitable vocalist Jarboe, as well as heavy metal electric cellist Jackie Perez Gratz of Giant Squid / Grayceon are a nice bonus.

68. Between the Buried and Me – The Great Misdirect
This album marks my first real exposure to this band. They are basically a progressive / technical death metal band, but they also manage to fuse some other genres into their sound as well. One of these is deathcore (and the red flag goes up). Now I’ll admit, when these guys are on the prog tip, their music is downright beautiful. In addition, they can really play their instruments well, whether they’re playing in a prog / classical style, or thrashing out hardcore breakdowns a la Whitechapel. I’ll also admit that this combination of sounds is interesting to me, but to be honest, it really doesn’t work that well in my opinion. The transitions between styles are just so drastic, that no amount of technical mastery can keep them from seeming choppy. The changes in tempo and styles are just too abrupt for me, and there’s almost nothing that can be done to avoid this. Between the Buried and Me do it as well as any band probably could, but at the end of the day, this is one of the most talented bands I just can’t seem to love. At the end of the day, though, I do have to give this album some credit for the beautiful portions of it, because as I’ve said, when BTBAM is in this mode, their music is incredible.

67. Cable – The Failed Convict
I had wanted to check this band out for a while, since they are – or have been – on one of my favorite labels (Hydra Head), and since they seem to get quite a bit of love from both critics and fellow musicians alike. I wasn’t sure what to expect on my first listen, so I just tried to keep my mind open. Whatever I was expecting, Cable was not it. In fact, it’s rather difficult to describe what they sound like, except to say that they are definitely a metal band, yet something about their sound seems more like grunge or rock, or…just, something else. I would say that there is definitely some sludge in there somewhere as well. The vocals are often harsh and distorted, but always still very intelligible. The lyrics almost seem to be in a story-telling mode much of the time. The music is heavy and dense, yet not like post-metal or drone at all. Confused yet? Don’t be. This is good stuff, it’s just hard to describe it. Better to just listen and enjoy – and enjoyable this album is. It has sucked me in and kept my attention for many repeated listens.

66. Brutal Truth – Evolution Through Revolution
Reunions seem to be all the rage these days (Pestilence, Atheist, Asphyx, Brutal Truth, Coalesce, Cynic), and this is one of the reunions I was most excited to hear about. Having said this, there are two main things I noticed about this album. First, Brutal Truth is definitely back with a vengeance! Good LORD, is this album fast and heavy (but did anyone ever really expect anything less?). Second, I noticed that some of the experimentalism of some of BT’s best albums – such as the sound bites and ambient “filler” stuff that was present on “Need to Control” – seems to be missing. What this means to me is that, while I would definitely call this a “very good” BT album, I might hesitate to call it a “great” one. There’s just something about the overall feel of BT’s best work that isn’t here, but then if I weren’t already a fan I probably wouldn’t have even noticed. As I said, this album is absolutely brutal and crushing, and most fans will not be disappointed in the least. These guys are insane.

65. Big Business – Mind the Drift
Since their previous album, Big Business may have grown from a duo to a trio by virtue of adding touring guitarist Toshi Kasai as a permanent member, but aside from splitting the paychecks three ways, not much else has changed. In other words, the signature vocals of Jared Warren and extremely talented drumming of Coady Willis are still front and center. The song structures are similar, album production high, lyrical topics in the same vein, etc. – which is not to say that Big Business has not grown since their previous release – only that the changes are not blindingly obvious, and all the elements which made their previous release excellent are still here. While their sludgy, stoner-y, Seattle-tinged sound may not be for everyone, many a fan does “get it”, and the talent on display here is undeniable. This is another very good BB album.

64. Obscura – Cosmogenesis
For those who are not aware, Obscura is a technical death metal band currently signed to Relapse Records. Those who know me, know that I have a pet peeve when it comes to technical death metal bands. In my book, technical for the sake of technical or fast for the sake of fast just doesn’t cut it (refer to my review of Psyopus’s “Odd Senses”, much further back on this list). Thankfully, Obscura does not seem to fit into either of those categories. Are they technically accurate? Yes, very. Are they fast? Absolutely. However, the question I like to ask is, “does their music have a sense of flow – is it unique / memorable – does it make me feel something?”. (OK, maybe that’s three questions.) The answer is “yes” to all three. There is a definite flow to this music, and it is catchy. It draws me in, and makes me want to come back for more. In short, it doesn’t just impress me, it also entertains me. This album is recommended for all those who are still yearning for that next release from Necrophagist that never seems to come soon enough (and if this doesn’t quite fill that void, check my review for Gorod’s album further up this list…).

63. The Mars Volta – Octahedron
After listening to “De-Loused in the Comatorium”, I was hooked on The Mars Volta for life. Every release of theirs since then has been just a little bit different from the last, and “Octahedron” is no exception. The same talent which is always on display in full effect with this band, is still present here. Certain tracks such as “Teflon”, “Halo of Nembutals” and “Cotopaxi” are intense, memorable, highly entertaining and even addictive. The difference, however, with this album is that many of the tracks other than those mentioned are much more melodic and slowly paced than much of the band’s other material. Some fans may welcome this change with open arms and really embrace it, some may be indifferent, and others may not appreciate it at all. Ultimately, I am in one of the two latter categories, but I still haven’t decided which. The album is still a very good entry in The Mars Volta’s canon regardless, but it certainly won’t go down in history as my favorite. Would I recommend it? Yes. Would I choose it over other albums when my “Mars Volta Jones” kicks in? Maybe not (at least not consistently).

62. 65daysofstatic – Escape from New York (Live)
Technically, this is not a metal album (or band) – but then not all albums and / or bands on my list are. It’s more electronic than anything else, but it is fairly heavy and it is definitely edgy. 65daysofstatic (or “65dos”, or just “65”, as some fans call them) are a talented group of musicians who make some very post-rock sounding electronic music (and by the way, there is plenty of live instrumentation here, too – including electric guitars and a full drum kit). This is a live album, and as such, has a few typical pros and cons associated with it. Among the pros, it is somewhat of a “best of” compilation, because it’s a recording of a single live set, where the band picked the tracks primarily to please their fans. Also, because the music is largely electronic, the sound quality is pretty decent – plus, there is some remixing going on here as well, which 65 is known to do with their material when playing live. Among the cons are that, since the album is live, the sound quality – while good – is not as good as it would be on a studio album, and with songs as intricate as 65 makes, the higher the fidelity, the better. Also, the crowd reactions are either mixed very low, or weren’t really there the night this album was recorded. For example, the hairs on my arms still stand up when I listen to Daft Punk’s “Alive 2007”, because the crowd is absolutely crazy on that album. Here, not so much. At any rate, this is still a very good album by an extremely talented, interesting and different band. Very highly recommended.

61. Darkest Hour – The Eternal Return
My first exposure to this band came at last year’s Summer Slaughter tour, and they were the surprise of the day for me to be sure. My first thought at the time was that these guys sound a lot like Unearth, and I would have to say that the comment still holds (and it’s a compliment, by the way). Like Unearth, Darkest Hour is a metalcore band that “gets” metal. They play their instruments extremely well. They throw down awesome solos left and right. They jam their songs full of catchy riffs that work, and their energy is almost off the charts. In short, this is a highly talented and entertaining band. I haven’t listened to enough of their back catalog to know if this album is any better or worse than their other material, but in a way, that’s really not the point of this review anyway. The review is about “The Eternal Return”, an album which has drawn me in for hours of repeated listening at a time, by virtue of its high energy, catchiness, and most of all, the fact that it virtually impossible not to bang my head while listening to it. Nice.

60. The Crystal Method – Divided By Night
Unfortunately, it would seem that TCM has progressed in the direction of being more like their English counterparts, The Chemical Brothers – who create effective little electronic-tinged pop songs by both remixing and / or co-writing songs with popular artists – rather than to continue on the trail that they’d blazed for themselves on their seminal debut “Vegas” – and more’s the pity. While “Vegas” was a tripped-out, psychedelic space adventure for the mind with infectious beats and grooves laden all over it, every TCM album since then seems to have been progressively more pop-oriented. This isn’t to say that TCM is now a pop outfit – they’re not. It’s just to say that their love of collaboration with pop artists has led them down a path which some fans (including this one) prefer less than their original material. The album still has a few spacey-sounding highlights which harken back to the “Vegas” days – for example, the instrumental “Smile”, the phenomenal best of show “Double Down Under” (which ironically has a Vegas-themed title), and to some extent the infectious and trippy “Slipstream”. A few of the modern pop collaborations are also good, such as the catchy “Drown in the Now” track with Matisyahu, but ultimately this album struck me as a little of a mish-mash between old-style elements which killed in the past, and new ones which are fairly effective, but certainly not unique.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-02-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM

I love how you're in the 60's of your list, yet your reviews are completely positive.

Was a great year for music, eh?
11/12 - Eyehategod