Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM

geesh i really regret not seeing Carcass and Meshuggah this year. sounds like they were a blast live.

also great to hear that on both the Summer Slaughter and Trivium tours, many people have been saying how suprised by how great Darkest Hour were live. hopefully they've been winning over some new fans they deserve it.

and maybe it's just but i feel like i'm the only person on this board who doesn't like Kylesa. they bored me incredibly when i saw them in 2007, and i heard their new album which didn't impress me and left me bored also. to each of their own though.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Last edited by xStructualDefect; 12-16-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The weather was god-awful hot as fuck
Dear god, yes it was. I got on the outside stage rail probably around 2 and I didn't leave until 11 when Bolt Thrower had finished, I was soooooo fucking dehydrated I honestly thought I was gonna pass out during the BT set.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Dear god, yes it was. I got on the outside stage rail probably around 2 and I didn't leave until 11 when Bolt Thrower had finished, I was soooooo fucking dehydrated I honestly thought I was gonna pass out during the BT set.
Wow, really? Chances are, I may have bumped right into you at one point or another then, because I was on and off the rail for the outside stage myself throughout the day. It's always weird to find out that someone from METALSETLISTS was at the same show you were, after the fact. DethMaiden and I were at the same Carcass show last March without knowing it as well. Cool beans!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon...7618763463510/

I'm in the middle with the beard and the Vital Remains t shirt.

During BT's set, I'm off to the right. Most intense crowd crush I've ever experienced.

Did you see the kids on the overpass during Napalm Death? Wild stuff.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post

I'm in the middle with the beard and the Vital Remains t shirt.

During BT's set, I'm off to the right. Most intense crowd crush I've ever experienced.

Did you see the kids on the overpass during Napalm Death? Wild stuff.
Yeah, I actually remember several of the faces in those photos. I may have spoken to you after the Brutal Truth set - I was scrounging for a set list on the rail after it was over (and got one, BTW). I remember the dudes on either side of you in the Brutal Truth shot - I remember thinking they looked like heavy metal Hobbits. I also remember the tall skinny guy with no shirt on. If you move two people to the left, over the head of the guy with the black sleeveless shirt who looks like he's had quite enough of this shit already, I think that's my hand. I was screaming out the lyrics to whatever song that was (or pretending to - who knows what BT's lyrics actually are half the time?).

...and yeah, I totally remember the dudes up on the bridge. Like you said, wild.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-08-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I know, and I hate you for that.

EDIT: You gotta check out Grayceon, too. Their cello player (and co-founder) is in Giant Squid, and they are fucknawesome.
Big Grayceon fan as well, they went on tour with Giant Squid not to long ago right?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Headbanger

I spoke with the manager of Sonar and she said they're still working on a few bands for the Deathfest to add to Friday night. She said ticket sales are down but always pick up right after teh holidays. I said if she wants to sell more 3 day passes they should add someone else BIG Friday and maybe even Saturday.
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Bump.

Well, the "Best (and Worst) Albums of 2009" list is finally finished, which is to say, the rankings are finalized, and the bottom ten albums have reviews written, so I'll be posting those tonight. My goal is to post ten albums per day, until we get to the top ten. Hopefully, I can keep up with that pace, because I still have several reviews to write.

BTW, sorry in advance this shit took so long. My PC took a crap on me a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to get my OS reinstalled and all of my apps and drivers and shit back in order. Everything's not hunkey dorey yet, but at least I've reinstalled MS Office so I can finish the mini-reviews at home and post them here.

Stay tuned, bitches. There will be some surprises, and at the very least, I personally guarantee that no one on this board has heard everything on the list (and if you have, we should definitely talk!). Chances are, you'll find something worth looking into, and if not, you'll probably find something worth arguing about.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Big Grayceon fan as well, they went on tour with Giant Squid not to long ago right?
Sorry, Wine - I never saw your question up there. Yeah, the two bands did tour together last August.

Here is my review of the show I went to:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10997

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-25-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM

OK, kids. At the risk of being extremely anti-climactic (because it's a week away from being fucking February already ), here it is:

Natrlhi's 100 (Almost) Best (and Worst) Albums of 2009

Just a few caveats before I begin:
  • I included a couple of non-metal albums, but not many.
  • I included a couple of live albums, but not many.
  • I included a couple of EP's, but not many.
  • I included one compilation album, but it's so good, I just couldn't leave it out (plus it's my list, so piss off if you don't like it ).
  • The stuff that really matters is the top thirty or so, and the bottom twenty or so. I didn't stress out too much about the relative ranking of the middle fifty or so, and neither should you. It would have taken me forever to analyze the shit out of the relative rankings of albums in the middle, so if a band or album you like gets ranked higher or lower than another one in the middle of the list, you can file a complaint through the proper channels, and I will probably ignore it.

So that's it - here goes nothing.

One more thing - I usually give special mentions to albums that I didn't have time to listen to, and although I'm sure they would have made my list, I couldn't give them a fair shot, so I just leave them out. This year, that happened with just two albums (which would have made the total an even hundred ):

Lazarus A.D. - The Onsluaght
Devin Townsend Project - Addicted!

Apologies to those two albums, and their fans. The Nat only has so much fucking time on his hands.

All right - enough screwing around...

98. Callisto – Providence
This album is a major evolutionary step for this Finnish post-metal band that many have compared to the great Cult of Luna. However, change is not always a good thing. For starters, the band has a new vocalist, and the original vocalist from Callisto’s excellent debut album “True Nature Unfolds”, now exclusively plays guitar. The vocals on this album are about 90% clean, with only the occasional scream that made Callisto’s debut album so memorable and heavy. The huge riffs are now all but gone, and the dynamics are fairly flat, as is the production of the album itself. Overall, I would have to label this album as a pretty significant disappointment, and I do so reluctantly because I really enjoyed Callisto’s previous material.

97. Chimaira – The Infection
This band is very exciting to watch live. I know this because I recently saw them at a free MySpace Secret Show in my (and their) hometown. However, one might never know it based on their latest release. In fact, the couple of new songs they selected for the set list for the above-mentioned show were probably the weakest ones in the whole set. Almost every song on this album seems to be just “phoned in” – and this is the kiss of death for a band who lives by the memorable riff as much as Chimaira does. Also, the fourteen-minute instrumental track at the end of the album left me totally baffled. I’m not sure where Chimaira was headed with this track, but it did nothing for me (and lest we not forget – I am a huge fan of instrumental metal). Unfortunately, this album is just basically an “epic fail” (in the vernacular of their younger fans), for this otherwise vital band. Hopefully they can turn things around with their next release…

96. Sepultura – A-Lex
Well, I hate to start with the obvious comment, but this album is certainly not the Sepultura of old. Both Cavaleras brothers have now departed the band, and gone almost entirely is the tribal influence (be it in the jungle drums of “Ratamahatta”, or the pure, simple animal aggression of their earlier work) of this legendary band. This is a concept album based on the classic book and movie “A Clockwork Orange”. Concept albums sometimes work and sometimes don’t. This year, it seems to have worked for Giant Squid, but not so much for Sepultura. The album itself does have a few good highlights – such as the third track “Filthy Rot”, which harkens back to the tribal sound I mentioned earlier, only to decay quite nicely into a Meshuggah-esque beat more fitting of their modern extreme metal sound. However, I just like classic old Sepultura better.

95. Dth – The Concealers
For fans of this band, this album should not be a disappointment. For those seeking something unique – be it in terms of heaviness, or speed, or extreme accuracy, or unforgettable riffs, or something else – this album might be a different story. It’s reasonably (very?) well-produced. The vocals are harsh (and sometimes even brutal). The playing is very clean and well-executed. In short, there are not many major complaints to be made of this album, but then again neither are there many major praises to be bestowed. Personally, I find it regrettable when an album this solid is also this forgettable, but in the words of Primus, “They Can’t All Be Zingers”.

94. Constants – The Foundation, The Machine, The Ascension
I was really excited to finally sit down and listen to this album, based on the samples of the band’s previous album which I listened to on their MySpace page. Constants are a post-rock trio from Boston, which I discovered by linking to their page from the page of Caspian, one of my favorite bands in the genre. What I heard when I played this album for the first time was much more akin to shoegaze than post-rock, and not necessarily in an ultra-cool “Jesu” kind of way. The vocals are very prominent and clean, and to be honest it doesn’t quite sound like the same band I heard when I first listened to the samples online. This is definitely good music, but to me it’s just rather unremarkable, and neither very heavy nor very emotionally-invested – it’s just there. So unfortunately, I have to label this album as a disappointment, although there is really nothing wrong with it on a technical level. It’s just not what I was expecting, and not my cup of tea.

93. Dysrhythmia – Psychic Maps
I first heard this band on the Relapse Records sampler that was included as the bonus disc in the “Call of the Mastodon” package, and I was intrigued. I bought a used copy of their 2006 album “Barriers and Passages” on CD, and it was pretty enjoyable. This band plays a unique brand of progressive instrumental music that, as their name suggests, intentionally defies typical time signatures and rhythms in order to create something that is unique. Unfortunately, not only is this somewhat of a niche approach, but if the band gets too obscure at the price of “listenability” or accessibility, then problems can occur. Enter this album. “Psychic Maps” just seems to be a little too obscure for my taste, and there don’t seem to be enough memorable hooks or other idiosyncrasies to keep me coming back. It just turned out to be a fairly forgettable album for me.

92. Behold! The Monolith – Behold! The Monolith
This band plays a fairly aggressive brand of stoner metal that sounds like it has the potential to compete with bands like High on Fire or Bison B.C. Unfortunately, the production on this album is just abysmal, and the vocals are not only shabbily produced, but also there seems to be a grating quality to the vocals that no amount of production can fix. In other words, the band itself has potential, but there are some technical issues here that need to be remedied before the band’s true potential can be realized (in my opinion). Some highlights are the thick, crunchy bass lines in such songs as “Battle for Balls Deep” (not to mention that song title – nicely done!), and some interesting use of unconventional time signatures from time to time. Also, there is some intriguing use of pedal steel guitar in the aforementioned song, which reminded me of the mighty Red Sparowes upon first listen. Lastly, there is some decent percussion work afoot here. With some technical improvements, this band has the potential to be a successful stoner / doom outfit.

91. Lamb of God – Wrath
When I am in the mood for aggressive, guitar-driven metal with shouted vocals and plenty of pounding double bass, but want to keep it simple and straightforward with no frills, Lamb of God are one group I can count on. These guys aren’t really pushing any boundaries or breaking new ground, but their music is aggressive and fast, and I have no real criticisms of their sound (other than that it really isn’t that unique). This album seems to be just about as interesting as their other material, but since I don’t get too analytical when I listen to them I really can’t compare their albums against one another. This is classic Lamb of God – you either like it or you don’t.

90. Otep – Smash the Control Machine
Most people who don’t know or don’t appreciate this band have probably not heard some of their earlier work. Many folks who don’t really like Otep compare them to a female-fronted version of Korn, only with more rap and less metal. Lately, these comparisons seem to be more and more accurate. Recent albums seem to have had fewer flashes of brilliance, and instead have grabbed for the low-hanging fruit of formulaic songs that just barely “get the job done”. The chills that went up my spine when I first heard the heaviness that was “Blood Pig” or the addictive riffs and brutal vocals on “T.R.I.C.”, or the haunting story told in the incredibly creepy “Jonestown Tea”, seem to be no longer forthcoming. Speaking of which, all three of these tracks are from Otep’s debut “Sevas Tra”, which is highly recommended over this album.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-02-2011 at 06:37 AM.